It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One day in the Doctors Surgery.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by Ferryman

So you've never ever ever accidentally done something you didn't mean to? Your entire life has been a compendium of perfectly considered actions and nothing else? You've never knocked over someone's drink? You've never let out a gasp of pain when you stub your toe in a library? You've never been with a group of friends and walked single file without realising along the pavement? You've never posted an inane or mundane facebook comment or tweet? You've never had any electronic devices on in your house loud enough for your neighbours to hear? You've never engaged someone in a conversation they clearly weren't interested in? You've never let your attention wander on a bus and stared at someone without noticing? You've never laughed at something you remembered in the vicinity of someone with low self-esteem and made them think you were laughing at them? You've never spent more than 5 seconds looking for your money when in a queue in a shop? I could go on and on all day, but I'll leave it there.

As for the deny ignorance comment you made, I fail to see how that phrase applies here. Please explain.

Edit: people being ill doesn't mean they suddenly need insulation from the world. If I couldn't handle overhearing a conversation when I was ill I think I'd be more than physically ill.

You also seem to be forgetting the fact that these people must have been ill as well, unless they just wandered in to the waiting room to talk loudly and piss you off.
edit on 8-12-2012 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

No they were registering for the Docs they were new patients. I have a form epilepsy, and i do stare at people, and i never stubbed my toe in library, and as for "Deny ignorance you what i mean.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

If you truly have never made another person uncomfortable in public in your entire life, I'll stick my hands up and you can complain about whatever minor annoyances you encounter completely unopposed by me, but I doubt that's physically possible.

I honestly don't know what you mean. I know what the phrase means, and I think I know what you're trying to imply, but I don't understand how that phrase correlates with your implication.

On a side note, people come to places like this to debate and face opinions contrary to their own, this encourages and promotes growth of knowledge and understanding. If you're just here to post your opinion and sit around with other people who share your opinion telling each other how great that opinion is, I'll happily leave the thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I attempted to post a video relevant to this thread, but the link wouldn't work....

Some people love jumping to conclusions...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

so you dealt with two loud mouths by being a loud mouth yourself..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferryman
I mean there is hundreds of Golfers die each year by playing in a lighting storm, or being hit by golf balls or dying of a heart attack, it's a VERY dangerous sport.

By all means don't play it if you don;t want to, but why begrudge people who do? This is the first time I've heard of walking in a park as dangerous, especially VERY dangerous. These people were loud? I get that part. Check. Maybe they actually did deserve a rebuke by you, but it was because of their behavior, not their subject.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by Hecate666

In other words, the world would be a much better place if everyone just listened to you.

In general, what you said is narrow minded and self centred as the rest of the people in the world don't exist for your comfort. We aren't here to make sure you are happy and calm throughout your life - if you find yourself in a situation you are uncomfortable with, that's unfortunate, but to embarrass other people in the way the OP of this thread did is downright despicable. Not to mention you're just shifting the uncomfortable situation from you to them.

In this specific instance, what you said is narrow minded and self centred as those people were in a GP waiting room, maybe talking about golf took their mind off the crippling burden of their multiple terminal diseases, maybe they were partially deaf, maybe they were just having fun. Who knows? All I know is that the OP embarrassed and upset two people he or she didn't know in public to save himself or herself 5 minutes of overhearing inane chatter.

As an aside, I don't think any adult in the world (except hermits) can claim to have never pissed someone off, intentionally or not.

Sorry but this is the biggest load of tribe I have ever read. None of this makes even sense. Read it back to yourself. I am not asking for people to do anything just for myself. I wasn't even there. I am merely saying that a lot of people lack empathy and brains to make society a nicer place...wait for it...for EVERYONE.
If the world would be full with selfish morons [we are heading towards such a world right now], it would be carnage.
Have you ever been to Japan?
Those people know how to be polite. [Well most anyway].
What is wrong in the western world is that parents put their kids on pedestals and if they throw a screaming fit, nobody intervenes. This breeds ignorant people.
Little selfish brats that think the world revolves around them.
I will stand firmly behind my opinion, and what I just read in your 'response' just confirms everything I just wrote.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate666
None of this makes even sense.

Sorry, I'll try and explain it again.

I've restructured my post in to a few easy to read bullet points, they each address a new concept or ask you a question, if you read them sequentially and be mindful of all the points before, you should understand my point of view by the time you reach the end:

- You don't know if those golfers are the most considerate people in the world except for that situation, it's possible that they were talking loudly without realising how loud they were or where they were. They could be nicer than you throughout their normal lives.

- As a thought exercise, I want you to think about everything you've ever done in your life. Have you ever done anything accidentally which might have annoyed someone else? Did you intend to do it? If you can't think of situations where you might have annoyed someone without meaning to, see my post for a small list.

- If you have done something to annoy someone else accidentally like those golfers in the OP's post, imagine yourself as those golfers in the OP's post. How would you feel if someone lectured you in front of several members of the public about your (mis)conduct? Would it upset you? Would it make you feel bad?

- If the answer to those last 2 questions is yes, why do you think that those golfers deserved to be made to feel like that by the OP? Do you think it's acceptable to belittle others in order to preserve your own ideal of a perfect society?

- If the answer to that last question is yes, I dislike you.

Good luck, and if you have any further trouble understanding my post let me know and I'll try to rephrase it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I hate when people are talking loudly anywhere, especially on the phone!
However, since it was only golf, do you not think your reaction was a little over the top? If they had been discussing something personal, I would have asked them to please keep their conversation quiet or save it for outside.
You would have only had to put up with it for a little while before you could have seen your doctor and gotten out of there.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Please don't rephrase any more, I can't take it. I totally disagree with you and when you grow up one day and had more life experience you will probably change your opinion too. Until then let's just agree to disagree.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

I'll happily drop the whole debate with no questions asked. I'm sorry we couldn't find some common ground, maybe next time eh?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join