It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines expanding use of meditation training

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Definitely a good thing IMO. Not to turn them into shaolin monks but the process definitely helps with focus, respect for yourself and others, patience and being humble. One has to be mentally prepared for the altercation or conflict/combat. If one isn't then surely there are consequences such as death/injury in combat or suicide/substance abuse or other emotional problems. This certainly does not apply to every marine but most of them do admit. In addition the shaolin philosophy drives the point that meditation is just as important to understand and effectively use the tools which the meditation helps to a very great extent.

Designed by former U.S. Army captain and current Georgetown University professor Elizabeth Stanley, M-Fit draws on a growing body of scientific research indicating that regular meditation alleviates depression, boosts memory and the immune system, shrinks the part of the brain that controls fear and grows the areas of the brain responsible for memory and emotional regulation.

LINK

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

That's all we need......Soliders with a FALSE sense of power.

Or Worse....a bunch of "Hippie" Soliders.....

But I guess if this helps our Soliders deal with the reality of Combat......more power to them.

Meds or MED? Esa es la pregunta !

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BENGALSLIVEON

Meditation makes one a"hippie? I think not. New Age Philosopher maybe

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I can see this as being the reason the military can shift as a whole movement towards peace. When the soldiers are able to achieve inner peace they will certainly rethink their current situation.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Cool article OP

S&F

This still feels "off" to me for lack of a better word. I think it would be beneficial for soldiers dealing with PSTD for instance, but you would think "meditation" would not be something they would have soldiers partake in.

“But over time, I felt more relaxed. I slept better. Physically, I noticed that I wasn’t tense all the time. It helps you think more clearly and decisively in stressful situations. There was a benefit.”

At some point the soldiers may have an "aha" moment and realize they are not the mind or all the things it has been programed with.. they would then start to question a lot of actions.

I could see a soldier "meditating" on the battle field, only to have a moment of self realization..

edit on 7-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BENGALSLIVEON
reply to post by hp1229

But I guess if this helps our Soliders deal with the reality of Combat......more power to them.

Well. If not anything if you look at the history and the legacy of the samurai soldiers, they medidated too
They were fierce warriors. Meditation is nothing more than exercise of the brain to be able to focus (for good or for bad).

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by chadderson
I can see this as being the reason the military can shift as a whole movement towards peace. When the soldiers are able to achieve inner peace they will certainly rethink their current situation.
I highly doubt that. Trust me. Meditation is a basic exercise that is designed to exercise the brain and to be able to invoke any and every action needed, as needed and when needed with the blink of an eye without having a second thought.
If not anything, it might help the soldiers getover their conscious (good or bad) in the field. Do not underestimate the power of meditation.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SyntheticPerception

Its more so designed to help the soldiers clearly focus on their objectives even despite political turmoil and conflicting and uncertain military orders and outcomes. The 'aha' moment might be conquered with logical reasonings if meditation is introduced. Its about reasoning at times (even if killing for no reason). There is no religious angle to this. The exercises are strictly designed to help them focus and ofcourse make peace with the innerself as the chaos comes with the job. Killing is never easy no matter what anyone claims. Ofcourse mentally unstable/psychos/ill individuals have no conscious and absolutely no remorse for the charles manson types
IMO.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

I think you should just do us all a favor and delete your account. Meditation helps in so many ways, but you obviously have no idea.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Spare me the combat zen.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheprimevoyagerSpare me the combat zen. 2nd line.
Well you have right to your opinion. But I'm not trying to preach the combat zen. What are your thoughts either way if you agree or disagree about using meditation by the marines? Expert comments would be nice

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chadderson

doubtful, since not everybody thinks that world peace is achievable, and not everybody thinks if we just left everybody else alone, nobody would bother us. the best this program can do is help keep military members more mentally focused and provide a stabilizing influence. "create order out of chaos" if you will. but if you think doing some meditation is going to cause the military to wake up one morning and say "hey, lets all hug it out" you're up a creek.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If the government actually gave a crap about the lives of veterans they would just allow soldiers to choose a drug they think might help them and try it with their doctors guidance. You know that some soldiers feel the need to shoot up meth like the Nazi's to stay up working 2 days straight; that was one of the more realistic parts of men who stare at goats. Allow them to take MDMA LCD or Psilocybin when they are no longer fighting so maybe they can reintegrate with a civilian society. Doctors in the world health organization suggest at least investigating this issue more thoroughly. But no,than some kid might see the dad they only ever saw on a computer screen for 6 years being in less pain because of something the actor Ronald Reagan said was evil.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

right.. always associate meditation with hippies. whats wrong with having our marines practice FOCUS? wouldn't you want to be focused getting shot at? i think you would. troll

new topics

top topics

join