It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellow smog blankets Buenos Aires after chemical container explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Source

A chemical container has exploded in Buenos Aires, Argentina, blanketing the capital in a huge toxic cloud. Residents are being told to stay inside while a mass evacuation from the area surrounding the blast has been ordered, local media report.

The container filled with pesticide caught on fire after a chemical reaction between its contents and exploded. As the flames were put out, yellow smoke billowed out of it. City officials believe the container may have been transporting garbage.

"The pesticide presents a low level of danger and affects the respiratory tract," said Sergio Berni, the national Security Secretary, as quoted by C5N television channel.

The incident hit the city's Port Terminal 4 early in the morning. Several buildings in the port and the surrounding area were evacuated, according to Buenos Aires's Civil Defense. Residents in near-by areas were told to stay indoors, close their windows and turn off air conditioning.

Jesus!

Holy crap would this be a scary thing to live through...if you did.

Of course they are going to say it isn't going to hurt anyone, they have to. Could you imagine what would happen if they told them, they will probably all get cancer in the upcoming years, or some sort of respiratory problem?

I hope the best for these people, but, blanketed in a toxic cloud of smoke things appear to be grim...

Thought I would share this with all of you as my eyes almost popped out of my head reading the article.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
That tiny picture doesn't do this disaster justice. Feel bad for anyone stuck in the area, sitting there and taking all of that in. Horrible.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
That's terrible. Couldn't imagine being there. I'll be keeping them all in my thoughts, and hope that they get through this.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
What is with of all these disasters lately? Seriously, are people not paying attention of what they're doing?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
That's disgusting. I hope everyone is able to evacuate the city....

edit on 6-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I just noticed this on RSOE ... What does something like this? I dind't imagine pesticide simply exploding in a container could? I mean what form would it have to be in where it wouldn't just be a nasty hazmat spill like everything else a container might contain? This is also in the RSOE report:

The cloud spread past the centre of the city to southern neighbourhoods, reaching as far as Lanus in Buenos Aires province, some 15 kilometres away. The city government is advising people to stay indoors and close windows and doors, and the Ministry of Health has put all hospitals on red alert.
RSOE

15 kilometers away? Really? I wonder exactly what that was?

new topics

top topics

join