It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate to vote on giving Obama debt limit power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What the h***... The idiot's in Washington have gone mad

The Senate is expected to vote on Thursday on legislation that would give President Barack Obama power to raise the Treasury Department's borrowing authority without congressional approval

Debt Limit Power

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Doubt its gonna happen. If it does .... ouch.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Honestly, so what? The debt ceiling is always going to be raised no matter what the so called conservatives in Congress say. It's simply a matter of how big of a production to put on before hand. Status quo (capitalism) dictates that that we keep raising the debt ceiling, why all the BS?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Slowly but surely certain people in our government are systematically scraping away the checks and balances that thus far have kept the United States from becoming a dictatorship. If something like this were to pass we will be another step closer to tyranny my friends.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
There is a very good reason for not passing this. It's simply unconstitutional! Article 1, Section 7 of the United States Constitution states, "All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."

Raising revenue via borrowing (debt), is the same as raising revenue via taxes, tariffs, etc. Giving the executive branch the ability to unilaterally raise revenue through borrowing whenever they want goes against this constitutional provision.

But then again, this Administration sees the Constitution as something that is merely in the way of their agenda so they ignore it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Shdak

Slowly but surely certain people in our government are systematically scraping away the checks and balances that thus far have kept the United States from becoming a dictatorship. If something like this were to pass we will be another step closer to tyranny my friends.

That’s exactly my point... and from reading a couple of other posts, some people could care less for what America stands for... freedom and justice for all.

The government as a whole is sort of a dictatorship on its own... much less giving control to one man; which would be suicidal for America; we all know this would be just the first step in creating a bigger foundation for one man to stand on.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

Glad I read all of the post…I have a habit of just scanning through posts

I was going to say since when did the Constitution mean anything to them. But I see you had that at the end already

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So then he can bypass bascily the fiscall cliff debate?

Seems to me, they may just loose time, getting to fix this cliff.
If it doesn't pass, they just lost time.

I think Obama is a bad team player, could of course just go well, if he doesn't give 1 inch, but also could make it much harder in the end where the republicans after giving in much (untill now it seems), in the end doesn't give 1 inch either!

edit on 6-12-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Honestly, so what? The debt ceiling is always going to be raised no matter what the so called conservatives in Congress say. It's simply a matter of how big of a production to put on before hand. Status quo (capitalism) dictates that that we keep raising the debt ceiling, why all the BS?

I don't know. Maybe because it goes against the Constitution and that whole system of Checks & Balances we have in place?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Funny how the debt ceiling has been raised on a pretty routine basis our entire lives just as a matter of business, but somehow it because a big deal last summer.

President Reagan did it 18 times. George W. Bush did it seven times. It has been raised a total of 106 times since 1940. It has never even been contested (outside this past summer). The debt ceiling is such a non story in every way.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
Funny how the debt ceiling has been raised on a pretty routine basis our entire lives just as a matter of business, but somehow it because a big deal last summer.

President Reagan did it 18 times. George W. Bush did it seven times. It has been raised a total of 106 times since 1940. It has never even been contested (outside this past summer). The debt ceiling is such a non story in every way.

Perhaps but it's getting big now (the debt), before, it was I guess just downlplayed since the debt didn't seem so big (of a problem). Now it is, so this debt ceiling could be a good thing where they acknowledge there is a problem so they should cut spending!

Bush said; debt is not a problem at all! Obama said; the debt is a big problem before being elected and it would be on his top list!:

Since Obama even more spending!

But now Obama doesn't want to cut spending basicly, just more tax to fight the debt?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Exactly. America has the Reserve Status.

"The dollar is our currency, but your problem".- John Conelly.

The rest of the world can suck an egg. America won WW2 pretty much by itself. Americans are superior. Americans are the greatest. America will always be on top. What can the other countries do? America has Reserve Status.

edit- America doesnt need a budget like the other countries. America doesnt need a budget for many reasons.
edit on 6-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

top topics

join