It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge: New Study Challenges Timeline For Construction Of Ancient Monument

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
A new timeline based on statistical analyses and the recent discovery of the source of the "bluestones" indicates that earlier construction techniques were larger and more complex than that of later generations. For myself at least, this seems to hint at a more advanced civilization predating the druid cults of the area.

Ancient people probably assembled the massive sandstone horseshoe at Stonehenge more than 4,600 years ago, while the smaller bluestones were imported from Wales later, a new study suggests.

Stonehenge: New Study Challenges timeline

A photo walkthrough of StoneHenge
edit on 5-12-2012 by dashen because: www.huffingtonpost.com... 41399

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Ancient people somehow surpassed modern people, lol. Can these people even smell their own bulls***? If I recall correctly, ancient people had no means of transporting, let alone lifting, stones that large. I mean, those things literally weigh TONS, you can't exactly drag them hundreds of miles on foot...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

and yet there the stones sit.

They got there somehow and it wasn't the industrialized world that did it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
stonehenge=big lego pieces for gaints

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Ancient people somehow surpassed modern people, lol. Can these people even smell their own bulls***? If I recall correctly, ancient people had no means of transporting, let alone lifting, stones that large. I mean, those things literally weigh TONS, you can't exactly drag them hundreds of miles on foot...

I have one word for you. It was Aliens. Ok, that is three words, but only one matters.

Seriously, if you recall correctly? Were you there witnessing the building of this monument? If not, how are you recalling anything that proves they did or did not posess this ability? If you mean you learned we did not know how they did it, that is understandable as they did not write it down. If you mean anything else, I think what you are smelling is yourself.

Now if you want to read the article, or the research it is based on, they do not at all say the big stones were done by an ancient culture, and the smaller stones added by a modern culture. They say that the prevailing theory that Stonehenge started small, and over the course of hundreds of years become large is wrong. Stonehenge started large and was completed very quickly, not over hundreds of years. The new research falls in line with all mainstream ideas of how Stonehenge was built, and by whom. Keep your fringe beliefs out of this please.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Thats been the argument for everything from Stonehenge, Baalbeck, and the Pyramids of Giza to Puma Punku in the Bolivian Highlands. 'How could they have done it without the technology?'

That's where pseudo-archaeology comes in to supply theoretical answers based on the available evidence. If we 'KNOW' the ancient people of Britain did not have the technology to haul/place the stones, and the stones are at least of 'xxxx' date, then the only logical conclusion is there must have been people there EARLIER with a higher level of technology.

It isn't unheard of for civilizations to fall backwards by civil, social, or technological standpoints. Take Ancient Rome, collapsing to the various northern people, and the resulting feudal 'Dark Ages' where science and technology took a bit of a backseat before civilization as we know it started to bloom again.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Fimbulvetr

Information does get lost, very true. That has nothing to do with this new research though. It does not suggest an earlier civilization put up the big stones and later on smaller stones were added. It says that it was all done at about the same time, starting with the large stones.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

You're quite right! Which is why I used a general 'they were built at this point in history.. when we can't have done it' shorthand in reference to the Henge, just as a focus to point out that across the board there are too many 'Uh..???' structures to support the quoted/replied to statement.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Ancient civilisations obviously existed here on this planet.....their remains lie all around us every corner of the globe.
What kind of idiot can deny this fact?
The brainwashings of primary highschool are drivel ............These institutions are the lowest common denominator and set the basic agenda which the PTB wish to establish.
The open minded individual, who refuses to accept obviously flawed and contradictory to fact explanations from the
programmers of society, is always ostrasized whenever outspoken .......
It is pure ego that we can deny that others before us have accomplished things we as yet cannot?
The perceptions of historical evidence are presented in a fog of denial..........
My favourite saying lately
"Get over it! and get on with it!"

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have always believed the ancients had something that we do not allow ourselves anymore....time...lots and lots of time.

There was no real greed back then like we know of it today. If you had food, water and shelter, what else did you do with your time? If a father started working on forming a stone...who says it didn't take him most of his life to do it? His son then takes over and finishes it.

Our concept of how long it takes to do something is somewhat distorted. Our timeline...especially for construction projects...is all based on financial efficiency. Something the ancients did not concern themselves with. If it took a hundred years to build something...oh well...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
All these structures were built in the past by Giants. All cultures have stories of them. Whether the giants were freak accidents, a race of people that died out, aliens, who knows. The Bible calls them Nephilim. Greeks called them Zeus, Hades, Hercules, etc.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Interesting...and to anyone that says it is impossible for these to have been built without super tech of modern day engineering.....try googling Edward Leedskalnin....he alone can put an end to the argument that it could not be done.

He built the Coral Castle

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Very interesting re-arrangement of the building order
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by stirling

Ancient civilisations obviously existed here on this planet.....their remains lie all around us every corner of the globe.
What kind of idiot can deny this fact?

No one does what is your point?

The brainwashings of primary highschool are drivel ............These institutions are the lowest common denominator and set the basic agenda which the PTB wish to establish.

So why didn't they hid the Sumer, Minoan, Harappa and other civilizations not known to the ancients? They seemed to have come late to the party!

The perceptions of historical evidence are presented in a fog of denial..........

You do seem to do it but why castigate yourself publically? Okay sorry for the fun, I know you didn't mean it that way, the rest of the world isn't in denial, they are following the evidence

edit on 6/12/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
I have always believed the ancients had something that we do not allow ourselves anymore....time...lots and lots of time.

There was no real greed back then like we know of it today. If you had food, water and shelter, what else did you do with your time? If a father started working on forming a stone...who says it didn't take him most of his life to do it? His son then takes over and finishes it.

Our concept of how long it takes to do something is somewhat distorted. Our timeline...especially for construction projects...is all based on financial efficiency. Something the ancients did not concern themselves with. If it took a hundred years to build something...oh well...

In general I agree but the earliest records from Sumer show a very modern interest in keeping count of just about everything

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Interesting...and to anyone that says it is impossible for these to have been built without super tech of modern day engineering.....try googling Edward Leedskalnin....he alone can put an end to the argument that it could not be done.

I just wonder why he never shared his technology,if there were any and what was in the box at the top of his tripod.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Who are you to tell anyone to keep their fringe beliefs out of a discussion on a conspiracy site?

Good grief. You reek of arrogance. Stonehenge is still a mystery, regardless of what you or anyone else says. For the VERY REASONS you outlined yourself!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Harharhar, you saying aliens?, anti gravity?.
The bluestone floats, quite possibly it was floated from wales to salisbury plain by way of the river avon, from durrington, to the stonehenge site is only a few miles, this is where the stones would have been floated to before being transported the few miles to their present position.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I just wonder why he never shared his technology,if there were any and what was in the box at the top of his tripod.

My guess is it was his "gimmick" to keep people guessing. My belief is that he was just very "in tune" with the balance and mechanics of balance, and was able to apply his learned knowledge to moving large objects with ease. His ability to move these blocks of rock weighing tons overnight was and still is a mystery....just like the ones we continue to try and solve with stonehenge and the pyramids. If he can do it with very rudimentary tools and very little education then my guess is that there is a fairly simple explanation that may be too simple for most to see and is overlooked because of its simplicity. Many ideas are discounted and never attempted because of simplicity. While it is not rocket science, in the end it IS only moving big rocks......

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

There was no real greed back then like we know of it today. If you had food, water and shelter, what else did you do with your time?

You stole other peoples food, water and shelter, of course. Unless some dictator made you drag stones around.

Harte

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Who are you to tell anyone to keep their fringe beliefs out of a discussion on a conspiracy site?

Good grief. You reek of arrogance. Stonehenge is still a mystery, regardless of what you or anyone else says. For the VERY REASONS you outlined yourself!

This is not a conspiracy site. This is a specific topic on a specific article. Make a post and discuss your fringe beliefs all you like. Talking about fringe beliefs that have NOTHING to do with the topic should not be done. So what reasons did I outline? If you have anything to discuss about the OP and the article feel free to discuss it, I would be interested in talking about it. The only arrogant one is you, thinking you have the right to invade any post you like to discuss any fringe belief you like whether it is on topic or not. Pure arrogance.

top topics

join