It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Have Lost Power…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
In the last 6 months, where I live we have lost power at least 10 times; the longest 3 days.

How long after you lose power, before panic mode kicks in; no communication, no water or gas (to cook with)? No generator…no batteries?

What if you live in a building with elevators? What if you have a disability and use a wheel chair to get around?

How long before you start thinking “end of the world” scenarios?
Every time we lose power where I live, it doesn’t take long to envision this…yet, as soon as it comes back on, silliness overcomes and right back to taking things for granted along with it.

How many times have you lost power without any storm related happenings to blame? We lose power with clear skies day or night.

I have been writing a post and gone to send something and realize the internet connection has gone down. This happens often here as well, without losing power.

Now, losing internet is frustrating, especially if you lose cell phone coverage, too; with no land lines to report the outages of either.

Is losing power easier to deal with if you know why? There are millions of people that live in high rise buildings in every major city that would be forced to deal with an entirely different situation than those that live in houses or regular apartment buildings (6 stories or less).

What happens when you have fires or medical conditions that you cannot call for help?

There are different levels of anxiety attached to everyone of these circumstances and each circumstance is handled differently by each individual.

I tend to be very matter of fact, panic doesn’t happen very quickly for me. Others around me, they take things for granted much more than I do. I recognize certain things are luxuries to have.

I can live without internet or TV or cable or electricity or phone service. I can even provide myself with certain medical procedures if necessary?

Lately, there has been many that have become “preppers” for another reason, what if they are right? What if they are ready and you are not? Will you be making fun of them? Even when we know or are given warning of impending disasters, there are those that scoff and then regret it. Then there are those that prepare and get to stick their tongues out and say “told you so”.

Which one would you rather be? Prepped or resistant to prep? One is defiant the other is considered overreacting.

I have decided that I would rather be the one that is prepared and able to help others that did not prepare. Sticking my tongue out is an option, but in time of need it hardly seems appropriate.

I wrote my post in processor form first, so that if I lost power it would at least be saved first…going to suck the day I save something really important and don’t have the chance to share with anyone.

Don’t take for granted the things you have; they can disappear very quickly.

Love is the one thing no one can take from you and you can give abundance of without electricity.

Lots of love to all!

BAW33

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

It doesn't bother me when the power goes out. I have kerosene and propane lanterns, as well as a large supply of candles. I have a propane camping stove, a propane grill and a charcoal or wood grill for cooking. I have a wood burning fireplace for heat (I've even made coffee in it a few times). I keep plenty of firewood and several bottles of propane on hand. I keep my old landline and have a regular old corded phone for when the lights go off.

I have a generator with a full tank and extra cans of gas to run the water well, but if they were to run out of fuel I know how to remove the pump and get water from it manually. I keep plenty of food supplies and other essentials. All in all the lights could go out for months and I would be okay with it. My lights were out for a month once and it was no big hardship.

I do fear for people who are dependent on technology to survive, and even for people who panic at the mere thought of losing the niceties they're accustomed to. If something were to happen to knock out the power grid, communications, or both on a wide scale for an extended period of time I believe that chaos would surely ensue. In such a case it is our duty to help those unable to help themselves such as the disabled, the elderly, those with small children etc. I'm afraid that a lot of people's first instinct would be to "look out for number one" but it is my hope that many would "rise to the occasion" and help all that they can.

Most of all it makes me glad that I don't live in a big city or a highrise apartment. The difficulty such a living situation would present is unimaginable!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thanks...my thread was lonely. I am glad you have a way to sustain yourself.

Do not forget your parting gift...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Aaaaawww! Thanks BAW33!

Here, have some kitty love...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Aaaaawww! Thanks BAW33!

Here, have some kitty love...