It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know what Abraham saw. I know What he Witnessed and What Happened to Sodom.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MCCXLIV

Volcanoes and acid rain make far more sense than the biblical explanation, don't you think? They're in the realm of proof, for those who need it, rather than faith.
\\
All industrialized nations have suffered from acid rain for at least two hundred years now. Any elementary plant and soil science class in the agricultural south will illuminate your pursuit of this matter. It results in brown spotted foliage. Acidic soil. Less productivity in plants.

How about it was just burning sulfur as it says. Like an exploded volcano or maybe just as miraculous as the rest of scripture; maybe it was simply burning sulfur from heaven like it says. Maybe it is a matter of faith, like Paul says. Wasn;t God suppose to send a stumbling block in the end. Wasn;t it to be for the unbelievers to separate the wheat from the chaff> Wasn't it a sign to Jesus that the unbelievers were always looking for a sign. Didn;t he call those same a wicked and perverse generation looking for a sign. Could it be a sign that your faith is weak and you are trying to convince yourself by persuading others. IT soon to fail my friend leaving you empty. A sign that science can explain what the faithful simply hold faithfully to be true? What is it then?

For those of us who have actually been in war we know this. The smell and the stench is actually worse than the vision. You will rarely continue to see carnage but when you smell sulfuric burning lay waste you know hat it is possible you are near hell, a place of torment, maybe because they were so wrapped up in flesh he thought to "bring it" to there front door on the carnal plane earth offers. Hell started here he was so pissed.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
A little corny, but somewhat entertaining while raising some interesting questions.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

I believe EVERYTHING in the bible probably happened it just wasn't godly intervention, there are natural explanations to everything.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
reply to post by EnochWasRight

I believe EVERYTHING in the bible probably happened it just wasn't godly intervention, there are natural explanations to everything.

Which, of course, could not be divinely guided under any circumstances.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
It's 2012 and people still believe in this godly bullcrap. You've got to be crapping me.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

But it wasn't just Lot and his wife it was also their two daughters and I think it would be unlikely that Lot's wife would have been pulling up the rear. In that situation (running from danger towards a specific place) I would expect Lot to be in the back so that if someone fell or was otherwise impeded he could help without turning around himself.

To The OP:

I don't really know how much experts would be "ignoring" your theory since a very similar situation was shown on one of the cable "education" channels (Discovery, Science, History, Nat Geo) I'm not sure which one but I watched some of it and the theory that they seemed to be going with was some kind of pyroclastic flow from Thera being propelled into the atmosphere and then falling down on Sodom, Gomorrah and the three other cities of the plain. Although I do find your idea of the building materials factoring into the destruction as it offers a reasonable explanation of how Zoar did not suffer the same fate despite being so close to the other five cities.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Josephus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

I don't want to get into too much history or debate. I know what I know and it's my way or the highway I don't care. I know what happened. And if I argue too much. I'll have a stroke.

This is the only important thing you said. The subconscious aspects of phrases like this have a great deal of meaning.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

problem is that your santorini date s supposed to ve happened +/- 1500 BC, exodus time

while sodom is minimum 2300 bC

besides,
if you post, why declare so haughty that you couldnt be wrong ?

would that hurt your Ego ?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

This could date Abraham and prove lots of other things.

I found your opening post quite interesting

What other things would this prove though?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Great theory, mate!

Someone should test it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think its possible either they witnessed a phenomenon or just saw the area as it already is and they weaved a story around it to fit their beliefs.

Actually, it is quite possible people did the same thing when they saw the rock formation resembling a huge boat/ark on mount Ararat (pareidolia). They made up a story explaining how it got there.

jmvho to which I'm also entitled

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
I read enough to catch the base of it. You're saying that Sodom was destroyed by sulfur rain. It's a theory I suppose. A possibility at that..

Anyway, I know this is off-topic, but your avatar is probably the most distracting thing I've seen on ATS. Why a bruised toe? I could barely get through half of your first post due to an automatic reaction of terror/disgust/confusion.

Thank you. You've brightened up my day. And it's going to be a long one. I don't need to answer your question, because you answer it yourself in your question.

As for any other criticisms of my methods, I don't care. Actually, I care too much. And I don't need debate because there's too much raging in my head all the time. I type here and sometimes I'm able to exorcise them. I am possessed.

Yes, this could prove Abraham existed. If science finds the chemical trace in the Dead Sea plain, then this will prove the eruption had wider ranging consequences. Also, with this proof, and if you start running through history, you will find volcanoes popping up to change history. My main thesis is that volcanoes are at the center of everything. Creation, etc.

For example. The last "little ice age" was caused by a seried of volcanoes.
535 AD is another example. It was when Krakatoa first exploded. It too change history.

Today, we underestimate the threat volcanoes pose.
What does this say about us?

It means we are forgetting. Maybe I can't get these ideas out of my head because the lesson is telling me not to ignore the obvious, and not to ignore the obsured, because as soon as you do, wham, the two-by-four hits you on the blind side of your head.

I know most of you will not get my sense of humour. Again, I care too much and too little. I'm doing this for me. I'm addicted. And I never ignore my subconcious, but I never obey it. Well, only when it's right.

Oh. I believe that mega hydro-thermal eruptions have been a regular occurence in the past four billion years here on earth. And, they have shaped our evolution. Hudson Bay was formed by 3 eruptions. From 365 million years ago, to 448 MYA approx. When you have a mega hydro-thermal eruption, the material is ejected into the stratasphere and sometimes beyond. For example, just after our earth's crust formed, and after the first water began to pool, we had ejections of material which launched material in orbit some 4 billion years ago. This material coalesed and formed our moon.

If someone went down the right path, the could prove that "phreatic" eruptions do not have the chamber collapse in on itself. But rather, the chamber is inundated with water and the explosion ejects the entire volume. Just like 1883, 1812 etc. The islands exploded - not sunk. In China, around 535 AD, is was written that they heard a gigantic bang.

They heard the explosion at Krakatoa. Thousands of kilometers away. That's some explosion huh?

There. This is my purpose. I have ejected the materials that were under pressure in my head. I had an eruption and the contents were blasted against this space at this time. It gelt good. Cathartic.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Very interesting theory, never heard it before, and I've heard everything from divine intervention to UFO nuclear war, but this DOES sound logical.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Personally I think it was nuclear attack. And the story of turning into a pillar of salt was a metaphorical coding left showing that Potassium Iodide was needed for detoxing heavy metals and against radiation.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
IMO the Sodom and Gommorah story, like so many others in the Bible, is simply a 'just so' story - a fanciful tale to explain something (the salt pans around the Dead Sea) that people of the time had no scientific explanation for.

The Thera/sulphuric acid cloud theory has two obvious flaws: firstly, as already noted, Abraham is believed to have lived hundreds of years before the Thera eruption (which has, perhaps more credibily, been put forward as an explanation for some of the events surrounding Moses and the Exodus) and secondly there is no evidence that a volcano like Thera, or indeed, any other volcano, has ever produced such an intense cloud of sulphur dioxide that it's caused a rain of strong sulphuric acid, especially so far away (volcanic eruptions may cause mild 'acid rain' but not so as anyone at the time would notice).

Nonetheless, it's a fun and interesting idea and better than many I've seen!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Check out Ron Wyatt on Youtube. He was a Christian archaeologist that did a lot of work in the holy land before islamic fundamentalism became so violent against westerners. He made a series of videos about Noah's Ark, Sodom & Gomorrah, Exodus, the Ark of the covenant and Mount Sinai. Quite interesting (although the production quality is outdated), and very much in line with the OP's theory. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you are a literalist when it comes to the Bible. Which I am.

edit on 4-12-2012 by Muadib777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Having visited Thira, and picturing the devastating effects of a collapse and explosions from the volcano, it makes perfect sense. I also believe the Santarini explosions and subsequent Tsnami, devastated the Egyptian army pursuing the Tribes of Isreal (timing is everything) and resulted in the "Parting of the Red Sea" stories.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
eric,

your op first started with "I want to tell you a story".....remember, that's what it is...

You also said that, "All I want is the truth"...

You read the bible and you you tell your children those "stories" and feel it is truth?

I have posted this many times and will do so again...Please answer this question for me...

When you read the bible (or any book)...just ask yourself this..

1.Who was there?
2. Who saw it?
3. Who wrote it down?

Think all the way through that equation and then tell me what you see. You can start with the first verse or randomly flip open to a page....then ask "yourself" those questions and tell me what you get...

Thanks

oxi.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

This is a VERY COOL post! I hadn't thought about it this way. I know that basically all of the Biblical stories can be explained by science, natural events and UFO visitations...But who can explain who created science, nature and UFO visitations? "It all just happened, no reason WHY"! ...Thank you Mr. Scientist. "It all just happened - But because the Lord wanted it to"! ...Thank you Mr. Bible Guy. Both profound answers...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oxidadoblancoquepasa
eric,

your op first started with "I want to tell you a story".....remember, that's what it is...

You also said that, "All I want is the truth"...

You read the bible and you you tell your children those "stories" and feel it is truth?

I have posted this many times and will do so again...Please answer this question for me...

When you read the bible (or any book)...just ask yourself this..

1.Who was there?
2. Who saw it?
3. Who wrote it down?

Think all the way through that equation and then tell me what you see. You can start with the first verse or randomly flip open to a page....then ask "yourself" those questions and tell me what you get...

Thanks

oxi.

Allow me -

- Imperfect Human Beings
- Imperfect Human Beings
- Imperfect Human Beings

Now, Oxi, YOU flip to Genisis 1:1 - Ask yourself THIS:

1. Why stop there?
2. Why not research and study the Bible before you bash it? (You're a dirty little liar if you say you have)
3. Why put all of your life force and limited time here, trying to make imperfect humans feel bad about having faith? A faith which is mechanism for overall peaceful, mass control?

Dummies like you are playing "Jenga" with your socially destructive "challenges" to a faith in God which determines that hundreds of millions of gun toting red necks don't slit your throat in your sleep tonight because they are afraid of going to Hell.

Stop rocking the boat dipstick, or get off.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Eldensword because: Mistyped

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join