It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Your Internet Shut Down Every Day At The Same Time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by themightymissm
The times don't coincide with the updates...so I don't think it would be that.

I've had problems with phone, car, all things electronic. Though, I haven't ever really gotten freaked out about the other things. But I never have been able to understand why I always have vehicle problems - no matter how new or old.

Computer is brand new as well.

Doesn't matter, there can be hidden events that might disable your nic for a reason then reenable it later. It's worth check.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The internet is not a like a water facet waiting to be turned on. There could be a lot of reasons.

Few questions and suggestions.

When you say the internet is going out.. is it not working on your PC, or do you actually see the connection light on the modem blinking or off?

DSL or Cable?

Do you have a router connected to the modem? If so and you own it, update your firmware. Make sure its not getting too hot. Also move it just a bit further from speakers, or other electronic devices.

Did the ISP provide the modem? If so have them replace it.

If its cable internet, it can disconnect when a TV or cable box connected to the cable line is powered on. Reduce the number of splitters from the street to modem, and replace the splitters with new ones if you can. Also re-seat each cable line leading from street input to cable modem.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Mine has recently started doing this. Every night at exactly 12:27 AM, my connection drops out. Sometimes it only drops for a few seconds. Sometimes I have to turn off my router/modem, unplug them and plug them back in to get the connection back.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by themightymissm

Check your network to see if anyone else has slipped on, hopefully you have it password protected. But even so it's possible.
That happened to my neighbor, she thought she was super protected, she reassured me that couldn't be the problem, I checked her network and found the guy across the street was using her internet. She actually knocked on his door and fronted him out, naturally he blamed his roommate.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The common thread appears to be with either the internet connection to a router, or the router itself. If you are only losing internet connectivity, then you should still have access to the other computers connected to the router. (computers connected wirelessly would still be connected but you wouldn't be able to get internet content.)
Ultimately it's important to gather more information by answering these questions:
Does it always happen at the same exact time?
When it does, has the router gone off-line or rebooted itself?
What is the configuration? Cable modem or DSL connected to a router? Router and internet connection as a single unit? Satellite Internet service? Two Cavemen using smoke signals?
What are the brand name and model numbers of the router and/or internet modem?
Have you accidentally plugged the power into a timer designed to turn Christmas lights on or off? (yes, I've actually had a customer that did this once. lol)
Is it possible your house has been invaded by creatures that you accidentally feed after midnight?

I once knew a guy that had AT&T internet service and the service provider finally admitted that they sent a "net quake" that was intentionally designed to reboot modems in an attempt to prevent people from file sharing. Dumb idea in my opinion but it wouldn't surprise me if there is something going on that's intentional that either the customer service reps don't know about or are not allowed to share with you. Many service providers have a policy of not talking about problems they already know about and are encouraged to make sure it's the customers fault. Your biggest and best weapon is documentation. Keeping track of days, dates, and times of interrupted service as well as what the modem and/or router are doing will help in not only proving your case but in figuring out where the problem actually is. Also, talk to others in your area to find out if they have the same problem.
When I worked for a cable service provider, we automatically marked an area as an "outtage" if three or more people scheduled service technicians to come out to fix an issue or the system noted that a large number of modems were off-line. If others in your area are having an issue you may need to have you all call in at the same time and schedule a technician before they will look outside the house for an issue.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Guys, you're under a DDOS attack.

Just look at this: downdetector.com...

edit on 30-3-2016 by computerwiz32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Like themightymissm and a few others have said, there is a VERY good chance your router and/or computer is being affected by DHCP.
If it's a regular, within the minute change every day or few days, it is most likely your router releasing it's IP address, grabbing a new one, and assigning it. During this process, (quick as it may be) you will lose internet access for a few moments.
This can be caused by:
-The ISP pushing updates to routers on their network
-Your computer has a scheduled task somewhere to release it's IP address
-SMALL possibility of the ISP sending out reset packets to kill file-sharing (think tor) within a congested network
**Some routers have their timezone set differently, so instead of 1200 midnight, it might reset at 930am.

Now, you might also be on a WiFi connection and having these issues.
-Maybe your WiFi is saturated (full) and kicking people off to make way for new users.
-There might be an IP or MAC address conflict (same computers having the same IPs/MACs) and you might be getting kicked off before the network assigns the proper IPs.
-There might even be WiFi channel issues causing disconnects. These are fairly rare, but it still happens.

FINALLY,
There might be some program which is causing the drop. Maybe you have a computer with a "Amazing WiFi card!" which has terrible drivers and drops you when it feels like it.
There is a small chance that is it malware. Some types of malware make 100s of connections out to sites, essentially tying up your ability to create your own connection. GET RID OF YOUR BROWSER SEARCH BARS!!! You don't need a browser bar for Ask.com or coupons.com. Known malware vectors.

There is a possibility of the WORST MALWARE KNOWN TO MAN. Windows Update. Maybe your computer updates every night and during this update it tries to patch a network driver over and over and over again... it fails every time, but takes you offline for a few minutes as your computer has a stroke.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: themightymissm
For the past two or three months, my internet has been shutting down every day, three times a day at appx the same times. Within MINUTES same times.

AM: Generally between 11:30 and 11:45
PM: Between 13:45 and 14:00
And again between 01:35 and 01:45

Just now, when I did a search for a similar thread, it shut down on me.

I have spoken with my provider. There is absolutely nothing wrong on their end and everything is communicating just fine from my end to theirs. There are no issues at the house as far as cables. The modem is brand new and directly connected to the computer.

This isn't well written and may not be in the right place... but I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this? Thanks for any input on this...
NO, but it has been out in mn for the last 50 minutes. Any ideas?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join