It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radial Neuropathy+Carpal Tunnel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Hello ATS I don't know if anyone on here is qualified or is at least knowledgeable enough to know this,just thought I would ask nonetheless.

About a year ago I got Handcuff neuropathy and as it slowly started to heal over the course of about 4-6 months,I found both my wrists exhibiting Carpal Tunnel like symptoms when occasionally performing such tasks as typing on a computer,driving,or anything else that requires extended use of my wrists/fingers .I am wondering if it is possible at all if perhaps this is resulting from the damaged radial nerve in both my wrists.
I deduce it is,but I haven't seen a doctor yet.I got no medical and am not too keen on seeing a neurologist.

thanks..

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I have carpal tunnel on and off, usually gets worse in winter. My doctor said it was because there is pressure applied to the median nerve when I do certain tasks, making a fist seems to be what triggers it the quickest for me or holding steering wheel or a small glass.

Maybe the radial nerve area is swollen and affecting other nerves?

Either way most people get relief from wearing a splint, I'm not sure if thats the correct term in english, like a firm glove to stop you moving your wrist too much and I saw a physiotherapist who showed me some good exercises for the nerves. If it gets worse there is also a small operation to get rid of carpal tunnel syndrome, there is a slight risk of permanent nerve damage with that operation though.

This is basically everything I learnt from going to the doctor but I'm in no way qualified as you can probably tell. As far as I know carpal tunnel isn't THAT big a deal to most people, just very irritating

Good luck and I hope you get rid of it

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtOfTrance

Ah radial neuropathy...My favorite subject !

Only because I have had a problem with the radial nerve in my right hand for a few months now.

As far as i am aware Carpal Tunnel affects the median nerve, the radial is the back of your hand.

I assume you had something around your wrists too tight to get the handcuff thing (were you a bad bunny?! )

Is this something you have in both hands ?

There is something called De Quervain Syndrome...Have a look and see if this fits ?

De Quervain Wiki

Past that point, it really is a trip to the docs, although you should probably go regardless, the radial nerve is a slippy old thing...I still haven't had what I would call a firm diagnosis, especially due to them not knowing where the problem began. If you are in the UK the first thing they do is refer you to the physio, let me tell you it was a huge waste of time...But hey ho.

Hope you find out soon.

edit on 30-11-2012 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

yes,you could say I was slightly "out-of-mind" and I had been restrained in cuffs.I was violently trying to force my hands free because I was unaware they were cuffed nor did I feel any pain from this struggle.
When I had regained my awareness both my wrists were badly lacerated as well as swollen to the same size as my forearms.

yes I am unsure if it is radial or median,but I know when I had the neuropathy from the cuffs it was my mainly my thumb and index finger that had been in pain.Here is an image that shows exactly where my pain was:

It isn't bugging me TOO much but on and off I experience some nerve pain and sometime am forced to drop whatever Im holding or even stop using that hand like when Im driving for example.

top topics

join