It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City celebrates day without violent crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

New York City celebrates day without violent crime

www.bbc.co.uk

For the first time in living memory, New York has spent a day entirely without violent crime.

The city police department's chief spokesman said that Monday was the most bloodshed-free 24-hour period in recent history.

Not a single murder, shooting, stabbing or other incident of violent crime was reported for a whole day.

Despite a July spike in homicides, the city's murder rate is on target to hit its lowest point since 1960.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Where are we going to get our cop shows from now???????

seriously - well done NY - how many people live there - 8.25 million or so??

I can't help but think that someone is going to claim this is a fake and manage to blame Obama for it......you can't possibly have less crime under his pinko gun hating NWO administration can you??

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
agreed, well done. It is quite an achievement if accurate.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
There still an hour and 15 minutes left.

Give it time. It's early.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
It would be cool if the various governments and organizations of the world promoted this idea world wide...schedule it in advance and say, "World: let's try and go one day without any violence."

Obviously, it'd be impossible to get the message to some of the more violent, remote, areas in the world like Sudan and Congo...

But maybe 50 or 100 years from now we'll celebrate this same thing on a larger scale.

Imagine that! One day without violence worldwide.

And by the way... I don't buy it at all. Believe you me someone in NYC was killed, dumped, and not reported...or a woman was raped and it wasn't reported, which happens all the time.

But of nearly as much concern to people in law enforcement are crimes that officers simply failed to record, which one high-ranking police commander in Manhattan suggested was “the newest evolution in this numbers game.” It is not unusual for detectives, who handle telephone calls from victims inquiring about the status of their cases, to learn that no paperwork exists. Detectives said it was hard to tell if those were administrative mix-ups or something deliberate. But they noted their skepticism that some complaints could simply vanish in the digital age.
NY Times: Police Tactic: Keeping records off the books

Police fudge the books to make their city's rate look lower....

The report said that between 2000 and 2001, the number of people who reported they were victims of violent crime fell from about 28 per 1,000 to about 25 per 1,000. The number of people reporting violent crimes fell from 6,323,000 in 2000 to 5,744,000 in 2001. Only about half of the violent crimes counted in the survey were reported to police.
CBS- Millions of crimes go unreported

And a large amount of victims never report the crime in the first place..

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't be at all surprise if there are problems with the crime reporting system to account for the "peace".
This just seems like a data anomaly to me - or perhaps they've limited the statistics to a much smaller area than the 5 boroughs comprising New York City. Let's see what the statistics say tomorrow.

ganjoa

new topics

top topics

join