It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAEA Data on Sensitive Iranian Stockpile Mislead News Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There are several news media organizations who have recently reported on the IAEA and it's findings, suggesting that Iran may be in breakout capacity, approaching the amount required for nuclear weapons. Claiming that the stockpile of 20 percent enriched uranium has grown at a rate of about 50 percent to 145 kilograms in the last three months, 45 kilograms above the allowed limit.

Source

The latest quarterly International Atomic Energy Agency report on Iran came 10 days after the re-election of U.S. President Barack Obama, which raised hopes for a revival of nuclear diplomacy with Iran following speculation that Israel might bomb the nuclear facilities of its arch-enemy soon.

However, what the media has failed to recognize and separate is exactly what has been misleading in it's attempts to claim Iran is heading towards breakout capacity. In their failure to separate what Tehran has in it's 'stockpile', and what it has 'in storage,' which none of the media outlets seem to define, is the reason behind the claims and misleading reports.

Source

The IAEA report created understandable confusion about the stockpile of uranium enriched to 20-percent – also called 20 percent LEU (low enriched uranium). It does not use the term “stockpile” at all. Instead, it says Iran produced 43 kg of 20-percent enriched uranium during the three months since the August report and cited a total of 135 kg of 20-percent uranium now “in storage”, compared with only 91.4 kg in August.

edit on 21-11-2012 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Mr. Confusion back again. Would you explain the significance of the words "stockpile" and "in storage?" I can imagine a conversation; "I've got a huge stockpile of survival food." "Where is it?" "Oh, it's in storage."

I went to the source article, but apparently didn't put enough effort into understanding it, the key points eluded me. I did notice that it was an "analysis" piece, and that it was printed by IPS, who proudly proclaims

IPS’ 50 years of reporting on social justice has taught us that all sustainable change is made collectively. Will you join our 2013 Promise?

join