It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frivolous Lawsuits Shutdown Largest Gas Can Maker in U.S. hurting NE Hurricane relief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Lawsuit s shutdown gas can maker

The company, Blitz U.S.A., is a 50-year-old American business that has closed its doors and laid off all 117 employees. Blitz U.S.A. provided 75% of all gas canisters to the US, a feat which industry insiders say is only possible when a company does everything right.

The company’s closure and the resulting lack of gas canisters could not come at a worse time for victims of Hurricane Sandy in the American Northeast. Nearly all clean-up and recovery efforts are dependent upon the now unavailable gas canisters. Everything from transportation and heavy equipment to chainsaws depend upon the canisters availability.

edit on 20-11-2012 by Phoenix because: sp

edit on 20-11-2012 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
In the litigious U.S. where no one it seems is any longer responsible for their ill advised actions even an innocent seeming product such as a gasoline container can be blamed for ones own stupidity. The frivolous lawsuits have driven the manufacturer out of business and resulted in loss of 117 jobs. This company made 75% of the fuel containers sold in the U.S.

This has resulted in a shortage of containers in the North East affected by Hurricane Sandy and elsewhere.

Just Ridiculous.................................
edit on 20-11-2012 by Phoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Seems the basis for lawsuits was people pouring gasoline directly from containers onto burning fires, literally pouring gasoline on the fire and expecting the companys insurer to compensate them for their injuries.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Every can I've seen for a long time has a warning inprinted in raised letter warning. Along the line of,

Warning vapors can be harmful, keep away from sparks and flames, explosion may occur.

How dumb have we become?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

How dumb have we become?

Do you really have to ask? It doesn't matter how many warnings you put on something, it's the manufacturer's fault if you do something stupid. And the courts and juries buy into it. What can you do? Not go into business, I guess....
edit on 11/21/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
All but two lawsuits, eh?

Did one of them say, "Woah! Fire is cool! Heh-Heh. Heh-Heh." and a witness for the defense going on about telling "those little bastards to stay out of my tool shed."

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This is a shame.Americans definity seem to be overly eager to sue at the drop of a hat-but its the fault of the judges,i would say.I mean,in a case like this,i would fine the complainant for wasting the court's time,and order him/her to pay the defendant's legal fees too.More judges should do that,may put a stop to a lot of BS lawsuits.See,i really don't think the bulk of this type of lawsuit originates from plain stupidity-i would say opportunistic deviousness-and why? Because so many precedents have been set,thereby providing a fertile breeding ground for outright chancers.Makes me furious that innocent hardworking people have to lose their jobs when a company fails,through these types of BS claims-and it will not end,till these con artists are severely fined for trying to pull their money-grubbing scams.Thats what so many of these cases-a scam-and why their suits are even entertained,and often won,is beyond me.Did this company not try and lodge an appeal?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Every can I've seen for a long time has a warning inprinted in raised letter warning. Along the line of,

Warning vapors can be harmful, keep away from sparks and flames, explosion may occur.

How dumb have we become?

Dumb enought, that every year we have to be reminded what not to do when cooking a turkey in boiling oil.
Yet every year, a whole lot of stupids, end up in the hospital.

Dumb enought, that every year to be reminded to inspect Christmas light cords, and don't leave it plug in when leaving.
Yet every year, a whole bunch of stupids have their house burn down.

And the list goes on, and on, and on about how to be Stupid.
I get so tired watching the news this time of year, listening to some news caster repeat what they say every year, and the next day stupid is on the news.

How many times do you have to tell a child not to touch it because it will burn. "Once" after they touch it. Won't happen again.

Seems like a lot of people could learn a lesson from that child.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Lets try not to be STUPIED

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Scandalous really. It may only be 117 people but each one of those may have a family and who can tell what the knock one effects may be for them and theirs.

Of course the manufactures are indeed to blame for not manufacturing cans into which the gasoline can be placed, but can never be poured out so that no one can make the mistake of pouring it onto a live flame.

top topics

join