It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netherlands and Germany prepare for Patriot missile deployment request from Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Germany and the Netherlands were expecting a formal request from Turkey to deploy Patriot missiles to the border with Syria. Turkey was expected to make the request of NATO, but Germany and the Netherlands are the only two operators of the Patriot other than the US in NATO.

Up to 170 German soldiers would be deployed with the launchers.

ACUS
Another ACUS
The Aviationist

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Patriot missiles to protect again mortar rounds?? seems a little excessive.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CincinnatiReds

I agree. I'm not normally one to scream that WWIII is coming, but as far as I remember the Patriot, even the PAC-3, isn't capable of stopping mortar rounds. The only system I know of that can is Iron Dome, which Turkey has said they are interested in buying, but would be probably at least a year before it was operational.

Which makes me wonder if Turkey is going to start something with Syria, and wants NATO to help protect them.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well... I can only imagine that connections with Hamas and the current situation in Gaza and Egypt right now has an influence. I wouldn't jump the gun, but if Hamas went 'all out' and then Egyptian military started in, which you know Iran would just love to ride the back of... Syria would be right there with them.

Arab-Israeli conflict

In a speech about the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict in August 2006, Bashar al-Assad said that Hezbollah had "hoisted the banner of victory," hailing its actions as a "successful resistance."[56] He claimed that Arab resistance was growing stronger, and warned Israel that "your warplanes, rockets, and your atomic bomb will not protect you in the future." He called Israel an enemy with whom no peace could be achieved as long as they and their allies (especially the U.S.) support the practice of preemptive war. In the same speech, he also called Arab leaders that have criticized Hezbollah "half-men."

en.wikipedia.org...-Israeli_conflict

I admit, I don't know all that much about the individual conflicts... but it seems clear that the timing makes sense. Might as well step it up against the crazies.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds
Patriot missiles to protect again mortar rounds?? seems a little excessive.

I can only assume that is a reporting error, as the system isn't designed or even capable of engaging mortar rounds. However, it is quite good at engaging pretty much any surface to surface ballistic missile system the Syrians may have, so this is probably insurance against any Syrian attack should Turkey get dragged in...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Let's hope this wont take another 2 years before the dutch troops can get home

new topics

top topics

join