It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Niantic Project - Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just can't do this without you guys:

www.nianticproject.com...

This project is linked to the new Google app: Ingress. More about Ingress:

It seems to be a collaborative work between Niantic and Google. The video uploaded on YouTube that are supposed to give hints and be part of the game are all unlisted and belong to channels with "0 videos".

So, YouTube is in it too. The timeline in the picture seems to reveal something new everyday, and it ends on November 30.

I am trying to understand what's happening in the first two days in the timeline. I found these images:

commondatastorage.googleapis.com...

I don't know the link between the website and the Ingress game yet. I am still beginning to understand what this is. I do have the app on my phone but I don't have the invitation code so I didn't start playing it yet. Android users can get it here:

www.ingress.com

iPhone users, not quiet yet.

Now, this seems to me like a brilliant way for Google to do some enhancements to their Maps system. I am sure they will benefit from that game much more than we think. The game IS free and it's worldwide.

Bring it on ATS.
edit on 19-11-2012 by TheAlmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The game is quite fun to play. I am a level 3 agent for the Resistance.

Niantic is a subdivision of Google. Youtube is owned by Google. Niantic makes the game Ingress and another app called Field Trip.

Field Trip is your guide to the cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you. Field Trip runs in the background on your phone. When you get close to something interesting, it pops up a card with details about the location. No click is required. If you have a headset or bluetooth connected, it can even read the info to you. Field Trip can help you learn about everything from local history to the latest and best places to shop, eat, and have fun. You select the local feeds you like and the information pops up on your phone automatically, as you walk next to those places.

Ingress is a near-real time augmented reality massively multiplayer online video game created by Niantic Labs for Android devices. The game has a complex science fiction back story, which Niantic is revealing in segments. The gameplay consists of either defending against the takeover of the human race by an unknown “Shaper” force or, depending on your perspective, assisting in an “Enlightenment” of mankind through an alliance with the Shapers. This is accomplished by aligning with either the Resistance (represented by blue) or the Enlightened (represented by green) and by creating virtual control fields over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of Mind Units, i.e. people, controlled by each Faction (as illustrated on the Intel Map). Exotic Matter (or "XM") Control Fields are established by claiming portals and linking them to form triangular fields. Links range from meters to hundreds of kilometers. The link range of a portal is determined by the power of the attached Resonators and the attached Link amplifiers. When three Portals are linked to form a triangle, a control field is established over the region, rendered on the scanner as a hazy blue or green field. The number of Mind Units claimed is related to the population density around the portals. The on-going goal of the game is for one’s faction to control the largest number of “Mind Units”. The game has attracted an enthusiastic following in cities worldwide amongst both young and old.

In ingress you create portals out of public artwork, statues or really anything unique. Business's are also targets for portals. Ingress has millions of people "crowdsourcing" the input of these point of interest into Google's database for GMaps and Field Trip.

new topics

join