It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long would it take to communicate with a planet 40 light years away?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Thank you Miccey for clearing that up for me!

Being no native speaker of your language I sometimes have my difficulties in understanding complex wording.

So I suppose said communication with that hypothetical planet 40 LYs away isn't about technology at all?
Current or future or whatever?!
Well I wish that you had me informed about those circumstances in your first post because than I could have presented a solution to this spectacular thought experiment in a moment.

Being a Reiki master and teacher myself and experienced in a couple of meditation techniques and some other more or less spiritual stuff I would advise you or someone really interested in this communication to ask someone who does remote viewing or astral projection.
It takes NO time to cross any distance. 40 LYs for that is only a leap of faith.

But I wouldn't bet all my money on that outcome because sometimes that outcome is very individual and if the viewer or projekt(
/e)r is ill-disposed (in every imaginable possible way...
) it may only happen in his head.

Since it is a really spectacular thought experiment this feature could add more spice to this brain salad.
I would like that.

And because of that I have brought some goodies for you and all other participators in this thread struggling with the real technical achievements in Quantum Fairyland (your abbreviation for that would be QF I assume?)
Actually there is a thread on this right now HERE at ATS...

>Researchers Achieve Quantum Teleportation Between Two Macroscopic Objects For The First Time
www.abovetopsecret.com...

...it is full of the latest stuff so that you all can feast on this intellectual delicacies and maybe do even some more speculating. Now you could do it in 2 places. Great - isn't it?

Bon appétit!

Ansar

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by amazing

As everyone else is saying; roughly 80 years for our message to be received, and a reply to return.

Year 00 - Us: Hello! We're from Earth. If you come here, please don't eat us.

Year 40 - Aliens: WTF is this? Send this reply ...

Year 80 - We get this message out of nowhere: Are you animal, vegetable, or mineral?

The round-trip talk time would have such lag that each end would likely forget a conversation was ever even started.

Plausible Science Fiction ways around this, fiction mind you, but seated in remote possibility, would be to send one end of a stable micro-wormhole however long it might take a space craft to travel those 40 light years; many many thousands of years using today's propulsion, but, when the wormhole got there, we'd then have instant communication, if there's anyone there, and if anyone on this end even remembered there was a phone line left open on this end.

The most distant spacecraft humans have made is Voyager 1, which is currently about 100 AU from the Sun, after 30 years of travel. At this rate it will take 18,750 years for Voyager 1 to travel one light-year.

So, 18,750 x 40 = 750,000 years to travel 40 light years ONE way at the speed of Voyager.

That's 3/4ths of 1 MILLION years.

Thus, as said, if there was anyone on the other end of the micro-wormhole when it arrived to talk, and anyone here even remembered we had a phone line sent off to planet XYZ 750,000 years ago, then, we'd have some instant full-duplex conversation; with as much bandwidth as can/could be squeezed out of a micro-wormhole.

Something to consider:
Radio and television broadcasts from 40 years ago in 1972 are at the 40 light-year mark in our ever expanding radio bubble.

Aliens could be listening to this:

Imagine an alien civilization influenced by this where a disco Inferno Alien sets off to make contact with the signal origin.

edit on 19-11-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

Seems they truly enjoy it

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by firefly9000

I agree that Tech. ability is growing very fast and we will be advancing at a far greater rate than we did in the past. However the ability to communicate through some form of Quantum Entanglement would mean we had solved Quantum Mechanics.

I do not see this happening anytime soon. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by firefly9000

Thanks for understanding. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Who knows...you may be right. I HOPE you are right.

Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ansar

Wuut, im swedish..
What do you mean it isnt about technology?
Sure is..
QM atm isnt viable no..Never said it WAS..
It COULD be.
SplitInf, maybe not anytime soon...I mean, tomorrow will do just fine..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join