It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After GMO Labeling Shot Down, Citizens Start Labeling Products Themselves.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
This movement will fizzle out in a week. Individuals coming in to constantly put stickers on an endless line of products, and without store management or anyone taking action, is not practical.

Sorry. There's better ways to do it.
edit on 16-11-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

Sorry. There's better ways to do it.

Such as?

A vote? No such thing anymore.

Violence? Nope.

Peaceful Resistance? This is the attempt.

What else?

Peace

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Added more into my last post and will add a part at the bottom of this one now before going.

But as far as voting goes, there's cryptographic verification processes that would eliminate voter fraud. It's not practical on a large scale, such as the US presidential election, but definitely for a state bill. It allows each voter to check where their vote has gone to, that votes cast do not exceed final results, and each vote was cast by a uniquely registered voter who'd have a receipt of it. The difficult task would be convincing the people that their voting machines are not trustworthy. That would be an approach worth taking - market on the fraud of voting to have new measures set in place. That would rectify the GMO problem, in the case of a re-vote, and any future injustices. That's curing the source instead of treating the symptoms (the exact opposite philosophy of big pharma).

The other option is to continue relying on individual support to place the GMO stickers on products...but to mainly have a donation pool and find sponsors in order to install a reward system or, preferably, hire people to do it within stores they're designated. That way there's people who are entirely focused on it (it's their job), relentless, and more motivated with all the time in the world to do it. It's also convenient and convenience is what Americans prize. I'd rather donate with a few clicks of my mouse than go to an office store, buy some label sheets, print a bunch of stickers, research what products have GMO and what don't, go to the grocery store (which is at random times and not often) just to only be able to label maybe an aisle (since I have other obligations, it's not my job) and it have no significant effect because I can't be consistent or frequent with it and can't really label much.

People that are ignorant of GMO, or don't care, would not care about a sticker someone put on a product. If they go search "GMO", odds are they're going to check out the Wiki page or agro giant propaganda that say it's "good" for them. They need more guidance. The only people this would immediately effect are those already aware of GMO, already research it, and already want to avoid it.

ETA
In order to reach the rest of the target audience with the sticker idea, consistency and frequency must be extremely high.
edit on 16-11-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

That's plausible. Contamination of the crops may cause organic feed to contain some percentage of GMO ingredients. Even so, I still get my groceries feeling like I'm a detective, reading codes.
I agree with the poster who said there should be an app to scan codes. That would be sweet.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess117

Definitely. The application idea would be another potent angle to attack this on. Turn one of man's greatest weaknesses, the iPhone and other related devices, into a strength.

It would need to be developed and updated by a very secure and trusted source. It has a lot of pitfalls, such as intentionally scanning codes incorrectly to read "no GMO" for foods with it and "GMO" for those without. It's easy to rig by just inverting the results since the only people who'd get such an application are those attempting to avoid GMO.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
reply to post by Jess117

Definitely. The application idea would be another potent angle to attack this on. Turn one of man's greatest weaknesses, the iPhone and other related devices, into a strength.

I couldn't agree more.
It's also unfortunate how right you are that the only people who would use the app would be those who are aware. You've got the right idea in your response to Jude11. It's consistent and efficient, and would work much better in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

I think a large-scale plan to deface someone else's property and trying to damage their profitability will alienate a lot more fence-sitters than it will attract.

The folks who envision doing this (vandalizing groceries on the shelves) are failing to learn the EXACT SAME LESSON that the capitalist genetic modifiers don't understand:

The end justifies the means; but the means condition the end

Trying to manipulate the public's image of those products is EXACTLY what makes corporate advertizing so evil--you are hoping to manipulate the minds of the public. A losing game. It is tactics like this one that are advocated by an agent provocateur who is trying to discredit a movement. Trying to make you look even more fringe.

No, they are neutralizing corporate marketing.

An app is only really good for the people who are already aware about GMO.
Its the people who are not aware that need to be informed.
A business has no inherent right to exist; especially if it engages in practices
that are contrary to human and ecological well being.
That goes against our common law.

The American revolution was based on fighting companies.
I say, continue the fight, or are you not an American, a patriot?

Our Founding Fathers knew this all too well, as they rebelled not just against a monarchy, but also against the world’s largest transnational corporation: The East India Company.

Just before the American Revolution, virtually all of the members of the British Parliament were stockholders in the East India Company, a tenth had made their fortunes in the company, and the company generously funded parliamentary elections. Sound familiar?

With Parliament completely captured, the East India Company was able to get what was then the biggest corporate tax cut in the history of the world, allowing them to undercut independent tea distributors in the colonies. Colonists responded by dressing up like Indians, boarding ships, and throwing a million dollars worth of tea into Boston's Harbor, triggering the American Revolutionary War.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Fantastic idea

I wonder how long it'll be before they arrest someone for DAMAGING the items with a sticker?

Probably not long at all.. Unfortunately they will retaliate sooner or later.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kodiac12

Fantastic idea

I wonder how long it'll be before they arrest someone for DAMAGING the items with a sticker?

So, are you for...or against?

Peace

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I personally have nothing against GMO but that doesn't mean they shouldn't just add it in with the nutritional info. If anything, it would save them more money by using black ink instead of the color for packaging lol. But we all know why they don't want to do it, although it will be interesting to see certain companies removing GMO entirely and branding themselves as "NO GMO".

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
There are several petitions for the labeling and or outlawing of GMO products here:

We the People

General Information

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
I truly feel sorry for you all living in the US, you are stuck with GM products and can't even get it labeled. Since most grain crops, including corn, in the US contain GMO's or other harmful substances already banned by other countries, I don't buy US products even though they are available for this reason.

Due to peoples concern over GM products, I am now seeing products labeled non-GM from countries that have already banned GMO's. The US products carry no such label or even one stating that they contain GMO's so they just gather dust on the shelves, whereas, products from other countries that ban GMO's are in high demand.

Monsanto is killing you in more ways than one

Yet another reason to take on Monsanto ...... and win.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
How about an app that scans the code of the product and tells if it has gmo? Or does one excist already?

I could live with this idea... great thinking, now who has a scanner I can use? and who will keep the database updated?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It sounds like a lot of people just don't know what is and what is not GMO. When talking about processed food products, all it really is are four things: corn, canola oil, soy and cottonseed. Any form of those means likely GMO in processed food. Which is why I never eat it anymore and make everything myself. Then there's US milk which some consider GMO because of the bovine growth hormone which would then include any dairy in these products, all cheeses, yogurt, butter, etc. And finally, sugar which just entered the market and about 50% of sugar products are GMO at this point, while the other four ingredients mentioned above are about 90%.

With a little effort, it's not that hard to avoid these things.

As for produce, most of it is still untainted, with some exceptions. But you have to google all this and educate yourself. Don't wait around for labels!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Bravo!

We are tired of the government pushing poison in our face. We are tired of big pharma and GMO poisoning. It is time to stand up. Did you hear on Coast to Coast that 40 states have created a ballet on Federal government web site to disjoin from the Union? It has to do with our rights being taken away. Rights are eroded, they are not snapped away.

If GMO is so great then label it. We need to push that into the ConAgra and Monsanto that have spend nearly a billion dollar to fight the labeling.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Kodiac12

Fantastic idea

So, are you for...or against?

Peace

Oh, I'm against... Nothing more I'd like than to see Monsanto and related companies fall to the ground

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Strange, I would have thought those that support capitalism and free markets would have been 100% in support of this. In the Free Market place, consumers should be presented with all the information on the product on the labeling so they can purchase it or not.

Furthermore, people can choose to buy a product or not on whatever reason fancies them. It does not need to make sense from the consumer point of view. If they had licorice flavored ice cream and noone buys it, but the makers did, it does not matter about any debate about it. People will not buy it. Or in the case of Walmart, if people wish to avoid their products, that again is the free market at work.

The debate over is GMO products good for you or not is irrelavant. In the Free Market, it should be labeled as such and people should have the freedom and choice to buy it or not.

Monsanto does not believe in Capitalism and Free Markets

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well, well. In 2010, GMO crops in each country around the world:
USA 66.8%, Canada 8.8%, Germany 0.1%, Australia 0.7%

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
How about an app that scans the code of the product and tells if it has gmo? Or does one excist already?

YES I AGREE an App that Lets you Know if it's GMO !!!! Yes Excellent Idea !!!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It would be easier to label food that isn't a GMO product in the USA. I'd support any label that better informs the consumer. However, I wouldn't avoid eating GMO food.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Since the mid 1990's, practically ALL cheese that is produced is made from rennet generated by genetically modified bacteria. The price of rennet is a fraction of what it used to be, when it was made from the actual stomach linings of goats and cows.

Pure evil.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join