It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After GMO Labeling Shot Down, Citizens Start Labeling Products Themselves.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bumpufirst
reply to post by NavyDoc

now you guys are talking out of your hearts,money!,the common language of a few. some of us value other things.i wonder if monsanto is hiring.you two are in line with the companys ideals.money,power, agendas and what ever else they can muster up to the ego. cause it aint about making more food for the world.look at the picture of that kid on diet.
gramma spelling,?,o yes! comprehention,

Okay, I can't even respond to your last few posts because they are entirely unintelligible. Methinks you have more serious concerns than GMO foods.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Suohhen

Originally posted by Suohhen
reply to post by Alchemst7

Knowing the locations is not the problem. Being able to afford it is. For what i spend in a supermarket I can eat for a month. Spending the same amount in co-ops, health food stores and farmers markets, around two weeks. And I'm sure there are a lot of others sailing around in the same boat

Everyone would I'm sure, like to be able to eat better. they just don't have the budget to be able to do so.
I always wonder what are the people eating that run these huge farms using GMO's

No offense, but I'm pretty tired of hearing the old affordability argument. I understand if you're talking about a ridiculous place like Whole Foods or something (which, ironically, sells tons of GM foods) or some posh, organic corner store that's insanely priced.. but in reality, a place like Trader Joe's sells maannnyy items that are cheaper there than even at the cheapest grocery store. Literally.. I used to compare Food4Less (the lowest of the low) to Trader Joe's, and Trader Joe's would win the price test more times than not. Now I'm not saying Trader Joe's is GMO free.. it most certainly is not. In fact I'm pretty disappointed with the fact that I've had store managers lie to me about this on multiple occasions, but whatever.. I'm still able to get more things at Trader Joe's than any other grocery store in terms of being GMO-free

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If this picks up steam, I predict the formation of the Grocery Store Safety Administration. Soon we will all be getting sexually violated by GSSA agents to make sure we don't have stickers, flyers, or other damaging material.
edit on 16-11-2012 by DarthOej because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I LOVE this.

Bout time. S&F&

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I can see it now...

"I can't afford non-GMO foods. They're just too expensive".

Just like the argument we have now for orgnanic.

So shut up and eat your GMO's, slave. IT'S GOOD FOR YOU.

Meanwhile I just paid out the wazoo for a non GMO, organic, pasture raised, no hormones, not injected with saline and preservatives, totally real turkey. "Course with inflation figured in, I paid no more than my grandparents did in 1940. I looked at old newspapers to get prices and then entered it all into an inflation calculator.

Next year I'll be shooting my own.

edit on 16-11-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2012 by davjan4 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by PsykoOps
How about an app that scans the code of the product and tells if it has gmo? Or does one excist already?

I've heard that idea mentioned before, problem is they'd keep changing the codes.

Wouldn't be difficult at all.

The UPC code has the information about the product, what it is, its price, etc. There are already barcode scanning apps that will search using your location to even find competing locations that sell said item and the competition's prices.

All you would need is a database with a list of all the known products with GMOs, though it would probably easier to maintain a list of what doesn't contain GMOs and cross reference the product to the list.

More realistically, all you would need to do is compare the company/brand name on the product and search a reference list of known GMO users.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthOej
If this picks up steam, I predict the formation of the Grocery Store Safety Administration. Soon we will all be getting sexually violated by GSSA agents to make sure we don't have stickers, flyers, or other damaging material.
edit on 16-11-2012 by DarthOej because: (no reason given)

Another job for the DHS? Or will it be the TSA standing at the doors frisking for stickers?

Peace

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
But OP, you're not taking this from an educated point of view. Your logic is "round the kids up, and get them to put stickers on anything and everything". And don't say "that's not what i said". That is very much what you said.

Kids have no idea, and to have them run around a grocery store for you, chucking stickers on everything is pretty low - because let's face it, they will chuck stickers on everything, and the fact that you're okay with that really shows a lack of sense on your part. You don't seem serious about solving the issue.

Reading this thread, i agree with some of the points - people shouldn't wait for manufacturers to tell them, but most of you guys are coming up with your own solutions that don't involve this method.

How about a sticker that labels HOW to identify a GMO-product? I saw a post regarding the numbering system. I never knew that? How many other people don't know yet, but would like to know?
That way you can literally chuck them on every product in the store and not have it misleading. That way no competitor (like another poster said) can sneakily misinform consumers.
That skull sticker on the original post... just makes me not want to take it seriously. People will just disregard it.

How about an educational sticker!? you know? rather than a confronting "don't buy this" sticker. WOW What an concept!

edit on 16-11-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

reply to post by NavyDoc

well if you were going around breaking into peoples homes robbing their stuff and the polise did nothing.yes ,that would be a good point to start at.letting people know who you are and were to find their stuff. "based on your comparisons". is that correct? just hysteria and no evidence? whats your proof of that?
edit on 16-11-2012 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

Hard to read your post due to lack of grammar, punctuation, and spelling but I will give it a shot.

The anology fails because you have a choice to consume GMO foods or not. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Sorry, the way science works is that claims require evidence. The claims of GMO foods being deadly (apart from the unheathy nature of many of the products using them) are not proven nor have a rational scientific background. I've yet to see one of these GMO posts present any physiological reason how they could cause damage except...you know...they have "genetic and stuff" in the name.

Web MD has a rather reasoned approach to the subject:
www.webmd.com...

(Of course the answer will be that there is an AMA-big pharma-grey alien conspiracy to cover it up.

I would like to believe that there exist variances of GMOs, typically the main ones (corn, soy, etc), that are modified to tolerate herbicide doses. GM fruits and vegetable that are herbicide-spray tolerant would probably be the worst in terms of health, think about it; the GM fruit/vegetable is made to survive high doses of herbicides, so the farmers mass-spray their fields thinking it will not affect the quantity of the harvest, yet disregarding the thinness of the crop's skin, thus allowing for herbicide to easily penetrate into the whole vegetable/fruit. When (or hopefully, if) the herbicide penetrates, there is no amount of washing away at the skin to remove it. Worse still, for the farmers who face "super weeds" that require extra herbicides, or even older, more toxic chem-compounds. Furthermore, some (if not all) herbicides get into the soil, leaving the root of the plant to absorb the chemical.
I have not even discussed the seemingly more biocidal pesticides...
Though, I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt by believing that no GM crops have been modified to resist pesticide sprays. I haven't researched it as of yet. As far as I know, the pesticide-to-GMO relation is limited to the crop only producing its own insect/pesticide so as to kill bugs.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

an educational sticker ??
do you mean like the ingredient lists that already exist ??
you know, the same one that most ppl don't bother reviewing ?
how well do you really think that'll work ?

no offense intended, but, regarding the "codes" that were a revelation to you ... perhaps you are not as concerned as most cause that info is very OLD news.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

how bout a sticker that reads "gmos are bad" with a .info website at the bottom? or even just "contains gmo" without the gnarly imagery.

that skull-and-crossbones is obvious propaganda. there is NO excuse for propaganda. rather than just giving the facts, you are giving an INTERPRETATION of the facts. you are ENCOURAGING people to not think for themselves.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Well i'm not from your country and don't live under your system. So this was news to me.

If they don't read the ingredients, then why bother teaching them? Better still, why bother chucking a sticker on the front if they aren't going to read? And if they are, do you really think they will take it seriously?

But no, i was more referring to something as simple as instructions as opposed to "MAY CONTAIN GMO'S" in bold letters with a skull above it. And if they already know how the numbering system works, then refer to my above statement - why bother teaching the blind how to write in another language?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Exactly, and by getting the kids to do the job for them (which may seem innocent), the kids are growing up not to think for themselves either.

Everything's GMO? Now that's close minded...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
But OP, you're not taking this from an educated point of view. Your logic is "round the kids up, and get them to put stickers on anything and everything". And don't say "that's not what i said". That is very much what you said.

Kids have no idea, and to have them run around a grocery store for you, chucking stickers on everything is pretty low - because let's face it, they will chuck stickers on everything, and the fact that you're okay with that really shows a lack of sense on your part. You don't seem serious about solving the issue.

Reading this thread, i agree with some of the points - people shouldn't wait for manufacturers to tell them, but most of you guys are coming up with your own solutions that don't involve this method.

How about a sticker that labels HOW to identify a GMO-product? I saw a post regarding the numbering system. I never knew that? How many other people don't know yet, but would like to know?
That way you can literally chuck them on every product in the store and not have it misleading. That way no competitor (like another poster said) can sneakily misinform consumers.
That skull sticker on the original post... just makes me not want to take it seriously. People will just disregard it.

How about an educational sticker!? you know? rather than a confronting "don't buy this" sticker. WOW What an concept!

edit on 16-11-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

Relax, take a drink and cool off.

If you are as good at reading sarcasm as you are at jumping to conclusions, you would see right through the 'Kids' part.

And you also assume that I will come back with "that's not what i said"...really?

Well, I said it. Fair enough?

Now to your input:

You admit to not knowing much about the topic and ID numbers but are now telling people what is wrong with their solutions?

And one more thing. Go into some of our profiles and see just how serious we really are on this topic. You might be surprised and learn something by mistake.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by Honor93

how bout a sticker that reads "gmos are bad" with a .info website at the bottom? or even just "contains gmo" without the gnarly imagery.

that skull-and-crossbones is obvious propaganda. there is NO excuse for propaganda. rather than just giving the facts, you are giving an INTERPRETATION of the facts. you are ENCOURAGING people to not think for themselves.
i don't believe such a sticker would be appropriate and certainly not attention grabbing.

if the goal is to get the attention of consumers, bold, blatant and graphic is the only answer.

see any war propaganda as examples.
yes it's propaganda, the same kind as is being used AGAINST us, what's the problem with that ? i agree none would be better but if it's part of the game then use it.

i still remember a time, not so long ago, when False Advertising was illegal and punishable by law. what happened to that concept ?

we didn't have to ASK for identifying information, we could choose to ignore it.
again, it was a consumer's choice then and it certainly should be now.

how is providing full disclosure encouraging ppl to NOT think for themselves ??
i really don't follow your train of thought on that one.

PD: i'm not a fan of the skull & cross bones design ... it's rather bland.

even "contains GMO" is better than nothing ... it worked with MSG, kinda.
and, if you paid attention during that campaign, the manufacturers took it upon themselves to advertise boldly ... NO MSM --> oops, typo?
nah, really ... NO MSG
no legislation necessary, no public vote/balloting or any such nonsense.

all it took was citizen action ... not talk, not whining BUT ACTION and this is a good start.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
reply to post by Honor93

Well i'm not from your country and don't live under your system. So this was news to me.
fair enough, that's why is said no offense intended.

If they don't read the ingredients, then why bother teaching them?
because a few will learn and they will teach a few more and on down the line ... it's how MSG got removed from so many products (not enough but some and voluntarily by the manufacturers)

Better still, why bother chucking a sticker on the front if they aren't going to read? And if they are, do you really think they will take it seriously?
why bother ? because some effort is better than none.
some will take it seriously, others won't even notice.
however, even those who don't notice on their own are likely to bump into, shop with or start a conversation with someone who did and guess what ?? that teach/learn process starts all over again

But no, i was more referring to something as simple as instructions as opposed to "MAY CONTAIN GMO'S" in bold letters with a skull above it. And if they already know how the numbering system works, then refer to my above statement - why bother teaching the blind how to write in another language?
mostly cause i've never known a blind person to write in any language

(except pictorals ... and yes, the blind are quite artistic given the opportunity)

as for the numbering/code system ... i'd like to see it ENLARGED for near-blind folk like myself.
the store lighting is soooo poor (reflective) and the numbers are so horribly small that reading them correctly frequently causes excruciating headaches and if that isn't bad enough, they are often applied bent/folded so the #s are illegible.

yes, it's good that there are any identifiers at all, but, perhaps a better legislative effort should be focused on increasing their visibility ?

personally, i would like to see the store employee/mgt take the initiative and permit marking the displays rather the product. store displays are always changing and it might be beneficial to create a community awareness group that actively consults with the store mgt to apply GMO labeling on the shelves displaying the bar code/price/size information.

i would bet that plenty of citizens would volunteer to mark the isles/shelves/displays as necessary.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
How about an app that scans the code of the product and tells if it has gmo? Or does one excist already?

That's a good idea.....actually If I knew a bit more about programming, I might want to make an app like that! I'm sure it would be quite popular!

Also this is a much better idea than people defacing products with giant skull and bones stickers.....A lot of people either don't care about such things, or are a bit on the fence like me (While I think there's some legitimate concern about GMO's, I believe an awful lot of it is fear mongering as well).

An app that people could easily use, would allow the people who care about this issue to check brands easily, while not throwing it in the people's faces who don't care about it.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Learner

Originally posted by NavyDoc

reply to post by NavyDoc

well if you were going around breaking into peoples homes robbing their stuff and the polise did nothing.yes ,that would be a good point to start at.letting people know who you are and were to find their stuff. "based on your comparisons". is that correct? just hysteria and no evidence? whats your proof of that?
edit on 16-11-2012 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

Hard to read your post due to lack of grammar, punctuation, and spelling but I will give it a shot.

The anology fails because you have a choice to consume GMO foods or not. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Sorry, the way science works is that claims require evidence. The claims of GMO foods being deadly (apart from the unheathy nature of many of the products using them) are not proven nor have a rational scientific background. I've yet to see one of these GMO posts present any physiological reason how they could cause damage except...you know...they have "genetic and stuff" in the name.

Web MD has a rather reasoned approach to the subject:
www.webmd.com...

(Of course the answer will be that there is an AMA-big pharma-grey alien conspiracy to cover it up.

I would like to believe that there exist variances of GMOs, typically the main ones (corn, soy, etc), that are modified to tolerate herbicide doses. GM fruits and vegetable that are herbicide-spray tolerant would probably be the worst in terms of health, think about it; the GM fruit/vegetable is made to survive high doses of herbicides, so the farmers mass-spray their fields thinking it will not affect the quantity of the harvest, yet disregarding the thinness of the crop's skin, thus allowing for herbicide to easily penetrate into the whole vegetable/fruit. When (or hopefully, if) the herbicide penetrates, there is no amount of washing away at the skin to remove it. Worse still, for the farmers who face "super weeds" that require extra herbicides, or even older, more toxic chem-compounds. Furthermore, some (if not all) herbicides get into the soil, leaving the root of the plant to absorb the chemical.
I have not even discussed the seemingly more biocidal pesticides...
Though, I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt by believing that no GM crops have been modified to resist pesticide sprays. I haven't researched it as of yet. As far as I know, the pesticide-to-GMO relation is limited to the crop only producing its own insect/pesticide so as to kill bugs.

Well, keep thinking then, I only hope that you use scientfic principles not what passes for science in these debates.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Brilliant idea. ANd don't back down. Getting hitting all mainstream products even if they try to catch a few. May the majority show up and stand by everyone they try to catch. Keep it going until the companies back down and the courts WHICH SERVE ON BENDED KNEE AND GALLANTLY THE PEOPLE OR THEY'RE CRIMINAL THEMSELVES AND NEED ARREST.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm not optimistic. This movement will fizzle out in a few weeks. Individuals coming in to constantly put stickers on an endless line of products, and without store management or anyone taking action, is not practical. Customers who are unaware of GMO won't care either. If they're unaware of it they may go home and look it up but without guidance they will just read the propaganda that comes up first in search engines saying GMO does no harm and it's government approved.

Sorry. There's better ways to do it.
edit on 16-11-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join