It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean pilot killed in first KAI T-50 crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The first loss of a Korean Aerospace Industries T-50 occurred when a Black Eagles demonstration team aircraft flew into a mountain, 48nm from Seoul. The team had taken off from Wonju Air Base prior to the accident. The pilot was killed in the crash. A parachute was found near the crash site, but the body of the pilot was found in the cockpit.

Korea is on record as having 75 of the type, including 11 TA-50s which are armed versions. The Black Eagles began flying the type in 2009, switching from the A-37 Dragonfly. They had flown demonstrations in the UK in July, flying at the Waddington, and Farnborough airshows.

KAI received an order for 16 of the type for the Indonesian Air Force, the Philippines is interested in buying 12, and the US Air Force received a bid for the T-X program, to replace the T-38 Talon for pilot training.

Source

Other source

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Interesting. Flight controls failure followed by ejection seat failure?
I haven't researched the aircraft, is it equipped with FADEC?

One would assume target fixation had he actually had a target. So sad.

edit on 15-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh that sucks.

I saw the Black Eagles at RIAT, met the groundcrew and some of the backstage people. We even got interviewed by them for their records and they gave us goody bags of all sorts of cool stuff.

They were really lovely people, and to think one of their team is dead makes me sad.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I think this is the plane. Didn't say where it's made , anyone know? just curious.
Thanks OP

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tiremanken

It's a Korean built trainer, designed and built with assistance from Lockheed Martin. There is an armed version of the T-50, and there is a fighter/attack version under development, but the primary mission is as a trainer.

www.lockheedmartin.com...
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...
www.airforce-technology.com...
edit on 11/15/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join