It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An odd huge pic a friend posted on facebook... you think it's galaxies.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I saw something very similar in some other threads and forums.

A few months ago this guy found a flashdrive or something and it had old un-edited/raw photos from nasa.

i remember the guy who found it said there was a note attached to it that said " Share the truth" or something like that.

pretty cool.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Looks like the sun reflecting off something in orbit, other satellites perhaps? Space Junk?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by UziLiberman

I assure you, in a photo like this, with the sunlit Earth and the Hubble, the exposure was too short to capture a galaxy (even the Andromeda). With the naked eye, you can only see the Andromeda at night, only under some very dark skies, and only when your eyes are adjusted to the dark. If you want to take a photo of the Andromeda, you need to set your camera up on a tracking mount or a telescope and use a long exposure of several minutes.

If you know anything about astrophotography or photography in general, you'll see that I'm right.

Here's a 2-minute exposure of the Andromeda (stacked 3 times):
www.mikesastrophotos.com...

The exposure in the OP's photo would have been less than a second, because of the sunlit Earth and Hubble.
edit on 13-11-2012 by wildespace because: added 2 min Andromeda photo

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

I assure you, in a photo like this, with the sunlit Earth and the Hubble, the exposure was too short to capture a galaxy (even the Andromeda). With the naked eye, you can only see the Andromeda at night, only under some very dark skies, and only when your eyes are adjusted to the dark. If you want to take a photo of the Andromeda, you need to set your camera up on a tracking mount or a telescope and use a long exposure of several minutes.

If you know anything about astrophotography or photography in general, you'll see that I'm right.

I agree.
You could say a shot with shutterspeed 1/15 at f2.8 and iso 12800 or more could give you a glimps of a galaxy like andromeda. But then the earth and ISS would be overexposed and there would be lots more stars visible and not just one galaxy.
In astrophotography, tracking is the way to go. Like the shots from the video of an earlier poster, these are probably 50 to 100 shots stacked and some days of post processing work. You could also do it with just a tripod and no tracking. My exif was 200mm 1-2sec exposure at f2.8 iso 1600-6400. 20photos stacked and the results are ok. But yes if you want to have all the colors and details you need tracking.

About the photo, that is imo a reflection on the glass. from where the photo was taken. Defenitly no galaxy or even space junk or a satellite.
Ot yes it's photoshopped, which i doubt.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Here's a 2-minute exposure of the Andromeda (stacked 3 times):
www.mikesastrophotos.com...

editby]edit on 13-11-2012 by wildespace because: added 2 min Andromeda photo

That really looks familiar, got the same results with just 1 sec exposure.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It's a reflection off the window the photograph is being taken through.

If you look at the previous frame from that roll that was taken twenty seconds before, you can see the same thing farther off to the right, more diffuse because the sun angle has changed.

Here's the previous photo, STS103-734-58:

And here's the data for the original photo we're talking about, STS103-734-59.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Good catch. On the next frame after the "UFO" shot, you can see more reflections:
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

For anyone interested (or anyone looking for UFOs), you can access photos from many space missions at eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

For example, photos posted here are from STS103, magazine 734.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Yeah I'm lost as to what they are as well. Perhaps that vid the one person mentioned would put it into sense. As to what they are right now xD The middle one, I totally 'see' Star Trek Enterprise.

I mean they could be galaxies with just uber bright stars shining like that but...... I'm really unsure. I'm pretty sure if those three things WERE ships, NASA would have hid this pic like no tomorrow xD

Why not just a reflection as a previous poster suggested.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I'm pretty sure if those three things WERE ships, NASA would have hid this pic like no tomorrow xD

Why would they?

If they have small armies of people (which they do), each with multiple online forum accounts all posting 'reflections, reflections' (even if the camera is actually on the exterior of the craft taking the image!), it has a little plausible deniability introduced, and if or whenever an image slips past censors, hey presto! Instantly the waters are muddied, and ships or ufos, or secret-space vehicles, or secret military craft accidentally caught on film become something 'other'...reflections are a new take on the well used, and pretty much worn out 'Ice crystals' excuses, used pretty much exclusively during the 90's and 00's.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join