It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find this sick and dont like where it is heading (ohio woman/idiot sign)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
=( fox

CLEVELAND – A woman caught on camera driving on a sidewalk to pass a Cleveland school bus that was unloading children stood in the cold Tuesday at an intersection holding a sign warning people about idiots. A Cleveland Municipal Court judge ordered 32-year-old Shena Hardin to serve the highly public sentence for one hour Tuesday and Wednesday for the Sept. 11 citation. She arrived bundled up against the 34-degree cold, puffing a cigarette, wearing head phones and avoiding comment as passing vehicles honked. Satellite TV trucks were on hand to stream the event live near downtown Cleveland.

The sign read: "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus." Hardin's license was suspended for 30 days and she was ordered to pay $250 in court costs. Lisa Kelley, whose 9-year-old daughter boards the bus which Hardin had been passing on the sidewalk, said the sentence fit the crime. "She's an idiot, just like the her sign says," Kelley said as she watched Hardin lean against a fence, her head down and her eyes hidden by dark glasses. "She did this almost every day last year," Kelley said. "She won't stop laughing. She's not remorseful, she laughed at every court appearance. She's still laughing, so she needs to be humiliated like this." Kelley said she was only sorry the woman was standing in the cold and not the rain or snow.

Ok so what the hell is going on here? I thought we had come a long way as human beings since the scarlet letter and stock and chain days but it doesnt look like it anymore.

Now I do feel this woman did indeed behave like an idiot and do not condone her actions but this is a blatant abuse of power by the judge involved.

I saw on another thread that many people thought this was grand but I find it just plain sickening. Should we start tattooing this kind of crap on peoples heads because they made one single bad judgement call? Yes it was stupid but to do this to an individual just because they did something stupid is wrong

Its not like we go making murderers wear signs like this why should a fool wear one.

The high and mighty in this country show complete distaste for the plebs.

I believe that tptb are trying to put us back in the day of public humiliation and we will see more of this soon

Cruel and unusual punishment is a phrase describing punishment which is considered unacceptable due to the suffering, pain, or humiliation it inflicts on the person subjected to it.

These exact words were first used in the English Bill of Rights in 1689, and later were also adopted by the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution (1787) and British Slavery Amelioration Act (1798). Very similar words, "No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment", appear in Article Five of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted by the United Nations General Assembly (A/RES/217, December 10, 1948). The right under a different formulation, "No one shall be subjected to [...] inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment." is found in Article Three of the European Convention on Human Rights (1950). The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982) also contains this fundamental right in section 12 and it is to be found again in Article Four (quoting the European Convention verbatim) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union (2000). It is also found in Article 16 of the Convention against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment and in Article 40 of the Constitution of Poland.[1] The Constitution of the Marshall Islands, in the sixth section of its Bill of Rights (art.2), prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment", which it defines as: the death penalty; torture; "inhuman and degrading treatment"; and "excessive fines or deprivations".[2]

TPTB working away at our rights and people sit and applaud their actions. This is not cool wake up fools
edit on 13-11-2012 by lobotomizemecapin because: stuff and things

edit on 11/13/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Using Outsdie Content, please use EX tags, not quote.

+22 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Some people are thick as a brick and I think the judge may have noticed that. Probably won't pass a buss again. treating criminals nicey nice has gotten us into this mess she got punnishment her parents couldn't give her. Hope more judges act like the parents they took the rights away from

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
These kinds of "creative punishments" have been going on since I was a kid. Not surprised.

If the judge wanted to make a statement, he would have revoked her license

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Punishment was well served.

Could have hit someone, a kid, someone walking, etc.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Some people are thick as a brick and I think the judge may have noticed that. Probably won't pass a buss again. treating criminals nicey nice has gotten us into this mess she got punnishment her parents couldn't give her. Hope more judges act like the parents they took the rights away from

Oh yes imprisonment is nicey nice is it?

go try it out and dare say something like that again? I'm sure after big bubba is done with you you will be singing a different tune in a different tone.

This is a blatant violation of the constitution and here you are glorifying the larger attempts to destroy the foundation of this country

link   
Who do you think she voted for last week!!!

link   
How many children do you have? I'm curious

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
... because they made one single bad judgement call?

Not "one single" bad judgement call.
She was a repeat offender. So regular was her offending that they could arrange the police to be ready and waiting for her to repeat her offense, on schedule.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
how much you want to bet this women pleaded at the mercy of the court to not be punished to the extreme of the law due to her own personnel life situation. (money,dr licience, kids) im sure the judge wanted to sentence to maximum punishment for this stupid act, which would have probably deserved jail time. i bet she said please judge dont punish me to harsh and the judge said ok but u have to wear this sign.

now this is all speculation on my part since i dont have the court records, but that's how i see it going down, the women begged for mercy and the judge did what he could but still wanted her to learn her lesson.

but if he did just choose this out of a hat it is kinda weird, maybe the judge needs to go to the doc and make sure his heart medication isnt making him go loopy

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150
Punishment was well served.

Could have hit someone, a kid, someone walking, etc.

Originally posted by MmmPie
These kinds of "creative punishments" have been going on since I was a kid. Not surprised.

If the judge wanted to make a statement, he would have revoked her license

The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights prohibiting the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines or cruel and unusual punishments. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that this amendment's Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause applies to the states. The phrases employed originated in the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

If you are foolish enough to believe this is justified then I hope others applaud when your rights as a US citizen are violated and you have to spend a day in stocks for jaywalking. because oh well someone could have wrecked trying not to hit you

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Should we start tattooing this kind of crap on peoples heads because they made one single bad judgement call? Yes it was stupid but to do this to an individual just because they did something stupid is wrong

This woman did not make a single bad judgement call, she had done this act multiple times and was finally caught.

I believe that she got off easy. Hopefully she'll learn that the world does not revolve around her. Imagine, the audacity of that school bus interupting her schedule.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

oh my this woman drove on an obviously empty sidewalk where if someone had been walking they would be easily avoided. Stupid but does not warrant the blatant violation of her rights

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
How many children do you have? I'm curious

I have one and thats beyond the issue

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I disagree. How old is your child and do they/have they stood at a bus-stop?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Should we start tattooing this kind of crap on peoples heads because they made one single bad judgement call? Yes it was stupid but to do this to an individual just because they did something stupid is wrong

This woman did not make a single bad judgement call, she had done this act multiple times and was finally caught.

I believe that she got off easy. Hopefully she'll learn that the world does not revolve around her. Imagine, the audacity of that school bus interupting her schedule.

I am not saying what this woman does was smart or right but the fact of the matter is the eighth amendment states she has a right not to be publicly humiliated like this

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If this is the tribulations that christians are so scared of......

Dont facebook tags get more views?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Why dont you actually read what I am trying to say?

Who cares about the crime she should be punished but not in a way that violates her rights as a US citizen

The slow degredation of our rights are being justified by things like this. we let it slide now and it will become a more and more normal occurrence.

My daughter is almost two so no.

link   
reply to post by alfa1

I don't disagree with the judge.
This is not a one time thing.
This is a blatant and repeated traffic offense.
And downright foolish and possibly dangerous.

The judge would probably be within his right to revoke her driving privilege.
However she probably would have kept on driving anyways.
This a punishment along the lines of community service.
I don't see a problem.

link   

He is obviously trying to get a rise out of people with some of these statements.

Bottom line: Repeat offender. Should have gotten worse. If my daughter was on that bus I would be up in arms.

link   
So, she has driven on this sidewalk multiple times this past year, to drive a round school buses unloading and loading children. Anddd you believe her having to hold a sign saying she is and idiot is cruel?

I take it you don't have kids. Just an assumption. Yeah yeah I know the saying " when you assume you make an ass out of yourself" or something o that affect.

Question for you: if she ran over a child and dragged him/her say a few blocks before the child was dislodged, a bloody, ground, pile of human flesh. In front of the other children. What punishment would you find fitting?

I don't think the punishment was harsh enough.

I think she should have been charged with child endangerment, and attempted vehicular manslaughter.

Don't know if that would have been achievable.

Do know when she does kill a child after her liscence is reinstated.

Then it would be murder. Hopefully not.

Edit: I see you have a daughter who is two. I guess I'm an ass.

However is see you care more about your daughters rights than her safety.

I think if your daughter was in down by some person who repeadiatly did unsafe acts around her, only to be finally seen before a judge only to to have her liscence suspended for 30 days and ordered to stand outside for an HOUR holding a sign. Then later she does the same act that got her put out there in the first place, but this time....she runs over and kills your daughter.

I believe in all my heart, you would be screaming murderer.

I know I would. Maybe I stand alone in what I feel. It's ok though.

I'm sure I would be the murder charge I would get againt her if it were me.

You know being emotional and all.

edit on 13-11-2012 by PLASIFISK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join