It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Sacrifices Have You Had to Make as Direct Result of the Recession?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hahahahahahahahahaha... Suckers. I don't owe anyone money. I save up and pay cash for everything.

I now have to make my own alcohol instead of buying it. I'm growing my own tobacco plants. Basicly I've stopped wasting money. Takeaways are a rareity now.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The only sacrifices my wife and I have had is that we cannot afford to travel. I am a disabled veteran living on a fixd income and she is a medical assistant that doesn;t make much either. It has been harder for us but neither of us are materialistic people who have to have new stuff all of the time. We don't aspire to be rich; just comfortable. We grow most of our food and between the family and friends we butcher our own meat raised on our own farms. If we wanted to liv like the average american family we would be sacrificing alot but we just like to live simple.

Times are really tough for many people right now and people need to help others when they can. All summer long I have a huge vegetable stand in front of my house and everything is free. We accept donations to help pay for seeds and such but we grow alot of extra stuff just to give away. I also allow my neighbors to grow their own stuff in my garden. We share the space. In the country we do ok even in rough times. I can't imagine how hard it may be in the city these days though,

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by OuttaHere

"11. Make my own shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, toothpaste, etc"

Thats a shame but nice to see you have the know how!

Well, I started making these items periodically in order to live chemical-free and to learn how so that if tshtf I will have some resources & skills. But I am finding that I have to do it more and more often out of necessity.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
All summer long I have a huge vegetable stand in front of my house and everything is free. We accept donations to help pay for seeds and such but we grow alot of extra stuff just to give away. I also allow my neighbors to grow their own stuff in my garden. We share the space. In the country we do ok even in rough times. I can't imagine how hard it may be in the city these days though,

^^ THIS! ^^

Kudos to you, sir! This is how it SHOULD be. Thank you for being a real human being and realizing what things are truly important in this world.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren

9. have sold many of my things on craigslist such as electronic devices to make extra money

10. have had to sell off my books, cd's, movies, etc

11. have not been to a movie theater in a year, out to dinner, six months ago

You reminded me of a few more!

These I have done as well:

- I have been selling off stuff on Craigslist and eBay, including books, cd's, movies, electronics, etc.

- I can count on one hand the number of times I have been to the movies in the past ten years. I only go for LOTR movies; I plan to see the Hobbit in theater.

- We go out to eat maybe twice a year. That includes: NO fast food.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's always been a bit tough over here if you got stuck in low paying work.. manufacturing, service providers, etc. But most people get by well enough, until these recent years.

I was lucky in a way as I had been pensioned off working since '96, so my daughter and I on our own learned how to get by.. her mother got everything in the divorce and I got our girl.. I got the best deal I think.

So we began with nothing and slowly bought used things to make a home for ourselves. I always bought her new stuff for her schooling, etc, but I made do with used clothing, used vehicles, furniture, electrical appliances, etc. Never went to the pub with friends, or went out to restaurants.. who could afford them ?

Once the girly turned 16 I lost our family tax package and had to make do with a lot less income... remembering that I was by then working in the new-age industry and refusing to charge like a wounded bull for my services. So we got by... just.

Now, I am struggling to pay off a loan for my motorcycle. Struggling to buy enough food for even one week. Struggling to pay for my internet/phone service ($150per month). Struggling to pay off power bills that have risen 6 or 7 times in the past three years. But I make rent each month without an issue ($700).

So I eat less, I rarely go out anywhere unless I take the bike because it is a lot cheaper on fuel, I don't drink, have had to give up smoking tobacco, can't afford to buy pain relief at all..same goes for any medications.

This christmas I will be digging up the back yard to plant food crops. Will sell my car since I don't use it, etc.

I do see lots of people here have things for sale, their 2nd cars in the front yard with for sale signs on them, their houses, anything they do not need, etc. Which shows everyone is starting to feel the pinch here.

Luckily for me I didn't have a lot to lose anyway, so I don't feel so bad as the more well off who are struggling to hang onto their Lifestyle.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Changes my family have made include:

We dont eat out.
I buy generic foods at the grocery
I havent bought new clothes in over a year
We traded two gas guzzlers in for a more fuel efficient car
I bring my lunch to work each day (saves about $150 a month)
I am a fanatic about using electricity- lights off , appliances unplugged when not being used, thermostat set on 68..
I weatherproofed my home last week- put plastic on the basement windows, hung a heavy quilt at the basement entrance so I dont have to heat it down there
Cancelled gym memvbership for the family
Switched from cable to satellite (that saved us about $50 a month!)
Downgraded our internet to a much slower speed (this one perhaps hurt the most)
Watch movies online- havent been to the theatre in over a year
Changed my own oil in the cars
Bought used tires for our cars when we needed them (saved about 50%) and they were basically new!! (they were from a wrecked vehicle that was wrecked when it had 5k miles on it)
Cut back on trips north to see aging parents (down to 3 times a year from monthly
No vacation the past two years
sold many items on craigslist
sold some old jewelry for cash

yeah the recession is killing me

After all this we still BARELY get by and I have no idea where Christmas is coming from this year. I tell myself I manage every year but I am a little scared. If all else fails I will make my mortgage payment late (it will be like 23 days late) and I have no idea when I will catch it up

Every year my job has given us a $1000 after tax bonus. We didnt get it this year.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren

Would Obama and his wife Michelle live this way?

How the hell is it their fault?!?!

As for glasses I don't know if you have the Lions Club where you are but they will pay for your eye exam and glasses. My ex used them when we didn't have the money to get new glasses. They were really nice too, look into it.

Also if you have a kid seems like you could get some kind of public assistance with food and even your heating and power. I know they have programs like that where i live. I have never used them but know people who have. You should look into what your area has to offer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join