Fungi and a zombie apocalypse

page: 1
3

log in

join

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Zombies seem to be everywhere at the moment. We have
world war z coming out next year, and we also have the
walking dead series. I am reading world war z at the moment,
and i am really enjoying the book because its a unique way of
looking at the zombie apocalypse.

The book has got me thinking. Is it possible that something like
this could happen?

I came across this interesting article

I have quoted some of it below. Its all about fungi. Its quite an
interesting read




m.io9.com...

We know that fungi can infect humans. We also know that fungal networks exist in most of the world's forests. These mycorrhizal networks have a symbiotic relationship with trees and other plants in the forest, exchanging nutrients for mutual benefit. These networks can be quite large, and there are studies that demonstrate the potential for chemical signals to be transmitted from one plant to another via the mycorrhizal network. That, in turn, means that fungal filaments could perform both vascular and neural functions within a corpse.
This leads us to the following scenario: microscopic spores are inhaled, ingested, or transmitted via zombie bite. The spores are eventually dispersed throughout the body via the bloodstream. Then they lie dormant. When the host dies, chemical signals (or, more accurately, the absence of chemical signals) within the body that occur upon death trigger the spores to activate, and begin growing. The ensuing fungal network carries nutrients to muscles in the absence of respiration or normal metabolism.


Im not saying this is science fact. But interesting read non the less




posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
Zombies seem to be everywhere at the moment. We have
world war z coming out next year, and we also have the
walking dead series. I am reading world war z at the moment,
and i am really enjoying the book because its a unique way of
looking at the zombie apocalypse.

The book has got me thinking. Is it possible that something like
this could happen?

I came across this interesting article

I have quoted some of it below. Its all about fungi. Its quite an
interesting read




m.io9.com...

We know that fungi can infect humans. We also know that fungal networks exist in most of the world's forests. These mycorrhizal networks have a symbiotic relationship with trees and other plants in the forest, exchanging nutrients for mutual benefit. These networks can be quite large, and there are studies that demonstrate the potential for chemical signals to be transmitted from one plant to another via the mycorrhizal network. That, in turn, means that fungal filaments could perform both vascular and neural functions within a corpse.
This leads us to the following scenario: microscopic spores are inhaled, ingested, or transmitted via zombie bite. The spores are eventually dispersed throughout the body via the bloodstream. Then they lie dormant. When the host dies, chemical signals (or, more accurately, the absence of chemical signals) within the body that occur upon death trigger the spores to activate, and begin growing. The ensuing fungal network carries nutrients to muscles in the absence of respiration or normal metabolism.


Im not saying this is science fact. But interesting read non the less



As interesting as it is I dont know how spores would make someone get up and walk around looking for flesh..

Althought....




The modus operandi of the Cordyceps fungi is the stuff of nightmares. These parasites grow inside their insect hosts by feeding off the non-vital organs, and manipulate the hosts' behaviour so that they can reproduce. When it is ready to produce spores, the fungus grows into the brain and releases chemicals that make the host climb a plant then attach itself near the top. It then kills its host by devouring its brain, before sprouting a mushroom from the top of its head, which disperses its spores as widely as possible. Cordyceps fungi can decimate entire ant colonies, but some colonies can keep an infestation at bay and survive for long periods of time. A new study now reveals how they do so. It turns out that the zombie-ant fungus is itself parasitized by another fungus, which limits its ability to reproduce and prevents it from overwhelming the colony. This microbial defence system allows the two species to stably co-exist and ensures the long-term survival of the colony despite a high rate of infection. Cordyceps manipulate worker ants to leave their nest and march off to a nearby site where they will eventually meet their fate. These sites are mass graves littered with the bodies of nest-mates that have succumbed to the fungus. They can persist in the same location for years, growing steadily as ants arrive one by one to die.


Source



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have heard of this fungus ,but not read about it. .I actually got into a debate with my friends daughter about the possibilities of zombies occurring . She told me about an infection in humans that can mimic a zombie and that it has happened before ,as There have been mass graves found with this sort of a disease....of course she didn't have a lot of the facts, and I didn't believe her. Because I'm old school, I don't believe in zombies.



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If there is some strain of whatever out there that can turn a human into a viscous blood thirsty madman like in 28 days later we are all going to have a tough time... I would rather the walkers like on the walking dead, at least they are slow and clumsy



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I guess i am intetested if this could happen Scientifically. Im sure
an infection like 28 days later could happen. But is it scientifically
possible for fungi to take control of corpse after the person has
died? It does seem hard to believe. We have seen fungi do this
to insects. Not kill them, just take over the body. But this does not
last. Once the insect is dead, thats it. But can the fungi evolve? Or
could there be a fungi that has not been discovered yet deep in some
rain forest?

Its an interesting topic, none the less



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AguyAndAgirl
If there is some strain of whatever out there that can turn a human into a viscous blood thirsty madman like in 28 days later we are all going to have a tough time... I would rather the walkers like on the walking dead, at least they are slow and clumsy


Yeah, i would rather come up against the slow moving
zombies for sure.



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Another theory is to do with serotonin. The human brain produces serotonin, which supposedly keeps you from turning into a raging madman. Imagine a virus that absorbs this serotonin?

Then we could have a 28 days later on our hands



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ok..heres a question.......when we die, ...doesn't the coroner fill you body with formaldehyde ??? If that's the case, how can any fungus live and grow in that.........and on a weird note...maybe that is why morticians started to use formaldehyde ...to kill the zombies! they knew something way back then , that we did not!,



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Ok..heres a question.......when we die, ...doesn't the coroner fill you body with formaldehyde ??? If that's the case, how can any fungus live and grow in that.........and on a weird note...maybe that is why morticians started to use formaldehyde ...to kill the zombies! they knew something way back then , that we did not!,


I guess thats why im talking about mutated fungi. A fungi that
takes control of the body quickly. Kills the host, then uses the
body. Not saying this is science fact. Its just an interesting discussion.

If the mutated fungi can spread quickly. Not many people will
be on the coroner's table.



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
What if the fungus that would kill the person would also cause some sort of moss/algae/plant life to grow on the outside of the persons body to collect sunlight to convert to energy to move the body. I would assume that a infection in that way would produce slow moving zombies that would only be interested in in infecting more people via body fluid transfer or even an air born release of spores.

Imagine an army of dead people covered in patches of algae, literally breathing death to anything around them. It would definitely catch people off guard compared to the main stream ideas of zombies.



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
There is some science behind this. Whoever said it has happened with humans is wrong. That has never happened. It does happen with ants though.
"Zombie" Ants Found With New Mind-Control Fungi



posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
There is some science behind this. Whoever said it has happened with humans is wrong. That has never happened. It does happen with ants though.
"Zombie" Ants Found With New Mind-Control Fungi


Yeah we know what happens when a certain fungi infects an ant. A
human being, now, that seems less likely. But what if the fungi
mutated? I guess its possible.

If fungi can do that to an insect, then in theory, i guess a mutated, or
not yet discovered fungi could do the same to a human. But like the
insects, maybe the time to the fungi will be limited. I do find it hard to
believe that the fungi could control a human to a point where the human
feels the need to attack, or eat a human.



posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I like the Quarantine movie, where the zombies were infected by a Rabbies virus that was created by a mad scientist.



posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
There is some science behind this. Whoever said it has happened with humans is wrong. That has never happened. It does happen with ants though.
"Zombie" Ants Found With New Mind-Control Fungi


Yeah we know what happens when a certain fungi infects an ant. A
human being, now, that seems less likely. But what if the fungi
mutated? I guess its possible.

If fungi can do that to an insect, then in theory, i guess a mutated, or
not yet discovered fungi could do the same to a human. But like the
insects, maybe the time to the fungi will be limited. I do find it hard to
believe that the fungi could control a human to a point where the human
feels the need to attack, or eat a human.


Well there are some issues. One is that when a person dies their eyes and ears would fail fairly quickly, so even if the fungus controlled the brain there would be no input of these senses. But we know the fungus makes ants walk, so it should be able to move humans too. There's no reason it can't operate the jaws to eat what would sustain the fungus.

Walking around hunting people is a stretch though.





top topics
 
3

log in

join