It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Israel fires 'warning shots' at Syria over Golan Heights mortar strike

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Israel fires 'warning shots' at Syria over Golan Heights mortar strike

Israel has fired warning shots into Syria after mortars launched from Syrian territory hit an Israeli base in the Golan Heights.

The Israeli Defense Force (IDF) said the missile was fired as a warning short after the errant mortal fired from Syria hit the military post.

It is the first time Israel has fired within Syrian territory since the 1973 war.

Several mortar shells have struck the Golan Heights since the Syrian civil war erupted 19 months ago. Israel has recognized the fire as unintentional, but still holds Damascus responsible.

Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria during the 1967 war and went on to annex the territory.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

An Answer to this Incident yesterday: Gaza: Anti-tank missile hits IDF jeep; 4 soldiers injured,

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I find this excerpt amusing..

Israel recently filed a complaint with the United Nations Security Council after Syrian three tanks entered the demilitarized zone in the Golan Heights earlier this month. The IDF also filed a complaint with UN peacekeeping forces operating in the area.

In one instance, Israel will file a protest to demand action, but in turn will completely disregard the UN and other UN regulatory bodies when their decisions do not suit the Israeli government.

My further comment is; The fuse on the power keg is shortening and the explosive yield increasing as these types of incidents can set off a even more widespread chain of violent events.

I certainly hope not, but everyone in the area seems to be getting involved, willing or not.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Israel and her western allies know full well the rebel fighters, aka terrorists, in Syria will be targeting Israel next once they are done ousting Assad. The IDF will crush them but regardless what it means is more effing violence in the Middle East.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
israel will do what ever it wants. when it wants...... with americas blessing.

the only problem with this logic is that aa long as america is big and strong then Israel can afford to bully other countries.

wirhin the next 10 years america will no longer be the worlds police force (sorry if that upsets anyone) and then israel will have to change its bully tactics.

maybe thats why Israel wants to wipe out Iran sooner rather than later.

thats just my british pompus ass view though and hope im wrong

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by Shenon

Israel and her western allies know full well the rebel fighters, aka terrorists, in Syria will be targeting Israel next once they are done ousting Assad. The IDF will crush them but regardless what it means is more effing violence in the Middle East.

Syria (aka. the Rebels) are attacking Israel to force Iran to respond and give Israel a Reason to start a War againts Iran wihout firing the first Shot...I think that is what it comes down to.

The next plan of Action is probably more "Incidents" like the one yesterday,against Turkey and Israel now and then,to see who will go all the way first.

Though it may be both at the beginning, "IF" (and thats a big IF,Iran knows that there is no turning back once they start "helping" Syria) Iran responds,Israel will focus its War-Efforts soley against them and let Turkey (and NATO probably) deal with Syria.

Maybe im overthinking it just a little...

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Oh yeah, I can agree with that. Iran and Syria are allies who fully support each other. Now the conspiracy side, who is funding and supporting these Syrian rebels? If you said the USA, Israel, and the West you'd win! So the west is funding the very terrorists that will most likely be attacking Israel soon. Gotta keep the terrorist train a running and no one keeps it better than the West.

'US, Israel supporting Syrian rebels from Turkey' | JP

Syrian envoy claims Israel, US, Saudi Arabia, Qatar intelligence running military operation centers in Turkey; used to oversee rebels' battles.

UNITED NATIONS - Syria has accused Israel, the United States, Saudi Arabia and Qatar of running military operation centers in Turkey to support the rebels by overseeing battles in Syria's 17-month conflict.

In a letter to the UN Security Council released on Friday, Syrian UN Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari also again blamed Qatar, Turkey and Saudi Arabia of "harboring, funding and arming the armed terrorist groups."

Obama authorized covert support for Syrian rebels, sources say | CNN

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama has signed a covert directive authorizing U.S. support for Syrian rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad's forces, U.S. officials told CNN on Wednesday.

The secret order, referred to as an intelligence "finding," allows for clandestine support by the CIA and other agencies.

It was unclear when the president signed the authorization for Syria, but the sources said it was within the past several months.

I can't believe people support not only Obama but Washington DC as a whole. Wtf America?

edit on 11-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What are warning shots for one side, are provoking shots for the other side. An stupid game they were playing who the hell knows since when.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

No matter what action Israel takes it will be seen as the wrong one.

They chose to fire a warning shot. They didn't hit a military or political site. [Which is well within their capabilities] instead they fired and very publicly proclaimed it. Unlike some who'll hide in the shadows.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

who is funding and supporting these Syrian rebels? If you said the USA, Israel, and the West you'd win! So the west is funding the very terrorists that will most likely be attacking Israel soon. Gotta keep the terrorist train a running and no one keeps it better than the West.

Yup, this administration believes they can achieve peace in the middle-east by getting Israel out of there, a lot of people on this forum do as well,

They have supported all these regime changes to further that goal.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Israel hasn't fired into Syria since 1973, at least that's the reported history. After reaching the 1974 agreement between the two nations, a 1,200 strong contingent of UN forces patrols the buffer zone.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

So Israel gets hit in their military base and they fire a warning shot, and they're the bad guys.

Okay.

I suppose if a nuke ever hit Israel, people would want Israel to pay for the radiation cleanup downwind.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Without getting to anti-Israel in this thread,

Golan Heights, was formally Syrian territory that was annexed

Prior to the 1967 Six Day War, intermittent hostilities centered on the Demilitarized Zones, water issues and shelling and infiltration from the Golan Heights. Since the war, the focus of negotiations has been "land for peace," in particular a demand that Israel return the Golan Heights to Syria along with Syrian recognition of Israel and establishment of peaceful relations with it, as stipulated in UN Security Council Resolution 242. And yet, in the US-brokered Syrian-Israeli talks during the 1990s, Syria demanded that Israeli future withdrawal would be to the "June 4, 1967 Lines", namely west of the former British Mandate border with Syria[1]. Syria attempted to recover the Golan Heights in the Yom Kippur War, but was unsuccessful, only recovering a small part of it in the 1974 disengagement agreement, while committing to distance its armed forces further eastwards compared with their 1967-1973 positions.

Link

The above is for a little perspective on the tenuous environment this area has historically had, though you may have already been aware.

I am not insinuating that this was the reason for the most recent shelling, but i present the above information to give a bigger picture with regards to this area in particular.

Israel wouldn't have had to make a warning shot if they were not there

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Shenon

So Israel gets hit in their military base and they fire a warning shot, and they're the bad guys.

Okay.

I suppose if a nuke ever hit Israel, people would want Israel to pay for the radiation cleanup downwind.

They would be happy as little larks and they would say Israel got what they deserved.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Hello?!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by MDDoxs

Hello?!

Your communication skills are amazing
Care to enlighten to us, those not as adept at language, on what you mean?

Thanks
edit on 11-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Well you stated the obvious, and proved my point, Israel shouldn't be there, but they are there,

I wish everyone in the ME would just love one-another, but that aint gonna happen.

The only place the majority of peeps on this planet would want Israel/Jews is,

GONE

edit on 103030p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 103030p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Golan Heights, was formally Syrian territory that was annexed

Ever wonder why?

Same source

In the period between Israel’s War of Independence (1948) and the Six Day War (1967), the Syrians constantly harassed Israeli border communities by firing artillery shells from their dominant positions on the Golan Heights. In October 1966 Israel brought the matter up before the United Nations. Five nations sponsored a resolution criticizing Syria for its actions but it failed to pass due to a Soviet veto.

Oh, look.

The Russians blocked the UN in favor of the Syrians.

I am not insinuating that this was the reason for the most recent shelling, but i present the above information to give a bigger picture with regards to this area in particular.

AND

Israel wouldn't be there if Syria had kept it's cool in the first place.
edit on 11-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Would your justification apply to Mexico shelling the US over Texas as well?
edit on 11-11-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Ah i see. Well glad we agree

The ME is sort of like a really over crowded public transit vehicle, whether it be a bus or a subway. There is always to few seats for to many people, yet someone will inevitably attempt to make room to sit causing discomfort and stress to those around.

Weird analogy i know, but i think it works

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by MDDoxs

Would your justification apply to Mexico shelling Texas as well?

Yes it would be similar, but please note that i did not offer this as a means for justifying the actions of either side, but merely to illustrate the history of the area.

The US example would be a similar and valid one. The only thing i can comment is different time and different circumstances. Though similarities are present, I would classify Israels involvement a bit different the US in North America, wouldn't you agree?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join