It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Army helicopter crashes killing 17

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
A Turkish "Sikorsky" has crashed in a mountainous region during an operation against Kurdish rebels, killing all 17 soldiers on board. The helicopter was in the Pervari district of Siirt province when it impacted Herekol mountain in thick fog. There is currently no evidence it was brought down by hostile fire.

Seventeen Turkish soldiers have died after their helicopter crashed in southeastern Turkey in bad weather, an official has said.

The Sikorsky aircraft came down on Herekol mountain, in the Pervari district of Siirt province, according to Siirt governor Ahmet Aydin.

The victims were members of gendarmerie special forces and there were no survivors on board, he said.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash which reportedly happened in thick fog.

news.sky.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Interesting op thank you

It could well be weather related but modern tech used properly should stop this.

All I can say is keep an eye on Turkey they are upping their game in that regions politics

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

For years the Blackhawk was forbidden to fly near radio towers, because two crashed due to interference from them. You would think that modern technology would put a stop to CFIT, but the human element will always be the weak point.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

yeah stupidity and ego being the biggest killer a chinhook went down not too far from me a few years ago because the pilot was getting cocky, killed 9 of his colleagues I think, thanks for the info on the blackhawks I did not know that, I knew interfearance could be a proplem but not to the point of barring certian vehicles from certian locations

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That is the worst crash I've seen in a case of hot dogging it. Lt. Col. "Bud" Holland, who ironically was the commander of the Standardization and Evaluation squadron killed himself and three others (all Lt. Col. or Col. rank), because they let him get away with hot dogging the aircraft for years. Col. Robert Wolff was using this flight as his Fini Flight, so his family and friends were there watching, so his wife could hit him with a fire hose and do his "wet down".

en.wikipedia.org...

I doubt that the pilot of this helicopter was hot dogging it, but he may have felt that he could fly closer to the mountain than he should have, and got caught in winds, or just lost sight of the ground if the fog was really thick, as they said.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
HHMMMMM
All i can think is "what a beauty spot for a Kurdish ambush......If they get there first with something belt fed, they have a marvey place for a flak trap.....
this could be worse......
Kurds in three adjacent countries(Tirkey,Iran,Iraq) want to have their homeland......they were separated at the stroke of a pen....so who gives men this authority to tell whole peoples who and what they are, and will be.....?

top topics

join