It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: CIA Director Petraeus Resigning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No links yet, watching the news and it appears that CIA Director Petraeus has submitted and the President has accepted his resignation from the post..

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns

CIA Director David Petraeus submitted his resignation to President Obama today. According to the Associated Press, Petraeus cited an extramarital affair as the reason for his resignation.

David Petraeus resigns as CIA director

CIA Director David H. Petraeus has resigned, bringing a surprisingly abrupt end to his brief tenure at the agency as well as his decorated career in national security.

Petraeus sent a letter to President Obama on Friday indicating that he was stepping down, citing an extramarital affair.

Resignation letter: news.blogs.cnn.com...

POTUS response: www.whitehouse.gov...

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:20:26 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: add source link and snippet

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:43:51 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: add WashPost article.

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:02:28 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: add links to resignation letter and POTUS response.

edit on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:12:08 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The house cleaning and exodus begins. The fallout of Benghazi I would think.

Next will likely be Hillary IMO.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
here's a breaking link:

www.usatoday.com...

On FNC the reason for the resignation was personal, and may have to do with the Director having an affair..

Will keep my eye's out for more links..

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well, you could sort of see that one coming.

They have had a lot of interpersonal friction and it sort of peaked over the whole Libyan embassy thing, at which point it sort of degenerated into more of a personal loud shouting thing followed by as direct an accusation in the press as you'd ever see Petraeus make.

It was sort of a done deal a couple of weeks ago, I could tell you the exact day they had it out if I thought about it.

Edit to add: I think Petraeus was betting Obama would lose the election and he'd keep the post. Whoops.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Found this link:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Good riddance!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Im flipping through CNN, MSNBC, and FOX and they're all saying he resigned because of an affair.

I wonder why he would leave just because of that? Did he just want to get it out there before someone catches him and makes a big story about it? Or maybe there's another reason?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here's an NBC link.

It appears he had an affair.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
No links yet, watching the news and it appears that CIA Director Petraeus has submitted and the Presidnet has accepted his resignation from the post..

No details yet..
I just saw that too. Seems like he wanted out, and the reason he gave is a good way of stepping down without a lot of questions.

I really doubt Petraeus had an affair with anyone, and he hasn't shown any reason to cheat on his wife either. (in fact he didn't want to deploy anymore because he didn't like being away from her) Now that he lives at home it seems odd that he would cheat on her.

Either he got some kind of Secret Promotion (not likely) or he just wanted to get out because of the attacks last september (most likely).

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A few more links:

abcnews.go.com...

www.foxnews.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... 486_story.html

Very odd timing... considering the investigation by the house was scheduled to begin next week?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

I wonder why he would leave just because of that?

It's as good a reason as any - affairs you get caught at in the intelligence world are pure poison. It's a direct violation of a Bush-era presidential EO regarding "trafficking in persons", it's also a UCMJ violation, and a violation of security clearance protocol.

Hard to hang on after that. But, IMHO, it was something Obama's staff found in order to force him out after that press conference.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hearing coming up Nov. 15 , news media confused as usual,
ha
edit on 023030p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
From his letter:

Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.

So he's leaving the CIA because having an affair is unacceptable.

Yeah. OK!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I hear some people saying this is a cover up or a way for him to get out of Congressional hearings.

This will get him out of nothing, he was still in charge during Benghazi, and he can still be called to testify if they want him to.

I swear, some people think absolutely everything is a cover up.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
A few more links:

abcnews.go.com...

www.foxnews.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... 486_story.html

Very odd timing... considering the investigation by the house was scheduled to begin next week?

So, do people think that resigning makes him unable to be prosecuted for anything?

He's stated himself that he's resigned because he had an affair. I personally don't think that's reason to resign from a job, because that's his personal life. But when you're director of the CIA I guess any opportunities for someone to try to blackmail you are a risk.

Still, I don't see how this relates to any investigations. He is still going to be held responsible for his actions whether he is still in the job or not.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
Hard to hang on after that. But, IMHO, it was something Obama's staff found in order to force him out after that press conference.
It seems like he stepped down before anything was "found out" (if theres anything behind it. He may have been trying to "save face" by stepping down)

link   
Mod you might want to close the other threads started on this - their stacking up on the Recent Threads list.

I don't buy this for a moment. The election is done and Hillary Clinton, Eric Holder, and now Patraeus are all resigning and why does Patraeus come out and volunteer that its due to an affair and why resign at all over an affair in an administration and party which celebrates lies and infidelity (anyone Remember Hillary's husband)?

+8 more 
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The house cleaning and exodus begins. The fallout of Benghazi I would think.

Next will likely be Hillary IMO.

~Heff

I won't be pleased until the house cleaning goes to the very top...

Des

link   
I dont get what having an affair has to do with the job.
One has nothing to do with the other so why resign?
edit on 9-11-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   
There's much more to this than him simply tendering his resignation due to 'personal issues' ['having had an affair'
]

He was rank and filed back stateside not too long ago, assigned as head of the CIA shortly thereafter ..... and only a rather brief time later we see him stepping down due to 'family/personal issues'

Sumthin Stinks, here.

[ETA]

as an aside ....

I've always been of the impression that he just wasn't their type 'team player' and preferreed things be done by the books ... hence his removal from command in gan and likely at the CIA also.
edit on 11/9/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
But when you're director of the CIA I guess any opportunities for someone to try to blackmail you are a risk.

Clearly he didn't have any qualms telling 311 million people he had an affair. I think its more likely he has a worse skeleton in his closet and he is being forced to use this as an excuse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join