It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what's the best shtf portable water filter out there for frugal conscious folks?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

You realize that the Berkey nests, and there are spaces within that nesting for storing goods? Both options are good ones and I appreciate the info you brought. I tend to take a long-term view toward bugging out. If/when I go, I'm in for the long haul, and will make accomodations for a larger, longer-term filter, however that said, it's a personal choice. I have a lot of respect for the solid construction and history of the Katadyn series.

Believe it or not, I take the Big Berkey. 3" of space above and 6" below the nested sections. Room within the main housing for more stuff..... and ......... it doesn't feel too bad on the back if there's something soft between the Big B and you. It's primary negative is that it isn't a 'grab-and-go' filter if a person has to re-bug-out. Also, the Katadyn -- any Katadyn -- delivers water much faster that gravity filters if a person is on the go.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mumbichi

I think you and I mostly agree. And again, LOVE my Berkey. I think circumstances will mostly dictate which filter best suits your needs. Like you, my intent is that once I have bugged out to my garrisoned location I will build a much larger and permanent filtering system to manage 10 to 20 gallons of daily water filtration.

Best of luck in your preps!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Boiling is the best as long as your above the industrial level. Water taken from areas surrounding cities or where run off from farm fields can occur should not be boiled as it HIGHLY concentrates inorganic pesticides, heavy metals such as lead amd mercury. People who think they are going to purify the river water running through the heart of their city by boiling are gonna pay for it in the long term. Buy a Life straw to get you out of the Urban environment and the boil away. Running water through sand/charcoal and the like is called FILTRATION and is NOT purification. If you need a very long term solution Then you need to buy a reverse Osmosis Pump like the Survivor 35 even though they were designed to use in a salt water environment they work in all water. They work indefinatly as long as they are cleaned and backflushed, but get ready to cough up a couple grand. The Airforce carries them in their heavy aircraft for emergencies.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

I'm rural, so no worries on that, but a good point for those in an urban center. And, I'd still want to get a really good filter...not one for each BOB, as that is pretty expensive, but for mine (1hr commute) and one for home, not a bad idea. The other folks will never usually be more than 15min from home without me anyhow, so if they're with me, we can use mine.
edit on 18-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
reply to post by dominicus

cheap ebay or dhgate china made!

or

www.sawyer.com... the bottle one can do 1million gallons. I got one of those, haven't used it but it's just cool ha ha.
edit on 7-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

Now THAT is what I'm talking about right there. THANK YOU for that link, seriously. I've been putting off spending any money on a survival filter bottle because they really aren't survival bottles as far as I'm concerned and are mostly wastes of money. No offense to anyone else, but the suggestions of and links to these fitler bottles that are good for 200 or 300 gallons......that's rediculous and I'm shocked anyone would suggest a piece of kit like that just because of the limited gallons each filter proccesses. 300 gallons may sound like alot but for a couple/few people...that's a few months. Like I said....no offense, but.......

I've considered a few of the 2-4,000 gallong bottles. That's more realistic for any prolonged situation, and I've seen quite a few I've liked, but man.....even 4,000 gallons......I know I'm expecting an awefull lot out of a mere water bottle......but the numbers just didn't make me jump. But a million gallons for a single filter?! I'm ordering one ASAP. The filtered water you'd have to waste cleaning the filter is worth the effort and resources. I mean seriously, with a person working hard to filter water, that water bottle could support DOZENS of people potentially in terms of cleaning as much water as you can find and, also not having to waste resources for fire just to purify water.

So again, thanks. after I look into it and check out some reviews to see if the product works as advertised, if it hold up to scrutiny I'll be buying one right away and suggesting them to everyone else.

Does anyone here have experience with this product? If so please let me know. I'd love to know how it holds up.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Fire...?

Doesn't boiling water mostly purify it?

That'd be cheap.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

donsnotes.com...

Here is a good website to do your oen research. As you will find you need a minimum of a 1 micron filter system regardless of what you choose. .5 would be better

Hope this helps

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join