It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Violent Rape of a Married Woman Should Carry a Stiffer Penalty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The rapist of a married woman affects 2 lives directly that of the wife and the husband, not to mention he threatens to destroy a 3rd entity, that being the marriage. And if there are children in the marriage their livelihoods are threatened as well.
I think the penalty for violent rape of any woman should be life in prison, but if lawmakers are reluctant to do that, then can we at least agree that the penalty for violent rape of a married woman should be life in prison?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

If you posted the current penalty or punishment for such acts and how much hard it should be according to you would be a good discussion aid.

What about non married women? are they less important?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Wow just wow.... SO because someone is married it is more traumatic than someone who isn't?

DUMBEST thing I have ever read.

Rape no matter who the victim is or their marital status is HORRIBLE and affects the lives of everyone around that person.

Think before you speak!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If you are looking for any kind of "justice" within the system...you won't find it.
It seems they are more intent to prosecute and seek a stiff sentence for drug offenses, than sexual offenses of any kind.
Not just rape, marital rape (hard to prove) but also crimes against children. The most vulnerable in society are protected by the weakest laws.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

May I respectfully ask if you raised this issue because you have been affected by it?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think rapists are 'equal opportunity' they rape anyone.
Sounds like a slippery slope,different punishment for different victims.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'd just have to wonder what part of the wedding ring or marriage license is going to make it any worse or the aftermath tougher to deal with than someone who is attacked in their home or pulled into a dark alley on a street they've known and trusted up to that moment?

Personally.....I look at Jessica's Law. Molest a child under 13? 25-years to life. First shot. Off they go. I believe the theory is that few, if any things are worse than molesting a child.

Well....I'd suggest there may not be worse, but there is one thing equal and it's violent rape. Man on woman, women on a man and related or not. Doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter. If sex was taken and not given by both people, freely...it's rape, right? 25 years in prison so they can experience it from the OTHER end. Literally. 25 years also gives the victim time to live and grow beyond what happened without the fear or even passing thought of their attacker being free to do anything again. Just my thoughts.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The punishment for rape should be harsh no matter who the victim is! Rape is rape whether you are married, single, recently divorced, dating, doesn't really matter. The fact that it effects "2" lives is irrelevant, largely because it is likely to effect the lives of everyone that is close to the victim married or not.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Congratulations, that was about the dumbest thing I've read all day.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

No but I worry about it a lot for some reason.

Look, I know this sounds bad at first, but it is really no different than criminals who commit a robbery being charged much harder if they carried a weapon on their person while the robbery was committed in my opinion. I'm in no way implying that women who are not married are worth less than married women. I just want the punishment for rape to increase across the board, but it seems like people are reluctant to do this for whatever reason. Many rapists get out after just a few years. That is not fair at all. I figure a common sense law like this would be a good starting point to decreasing the instance of rape of any woman because a rapist will never know if the woman is married or not.

When they get an idea to hurt a woman, they can remember they might lose their entire life, if the one they chose happened to be married. I think many potential rapists would let the urge slide at that point.

I'm sorry of this is offending people.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You're ramping up culpability and punishment based upon a legal status that one is not inherently imbibed with? For the purpose of emotional appeal? Do you know how juries work? They probably already do this, or if not the jury, the judge.

In cases where in which they don't, that's fine too.

A complete non-issue: There must be set standards and equality under the law at times. That goes for equality of victims and equality of punishment to the perpetrators.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

I want the article you read?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

I wish there was one. I just thought of this suddenly upon waking and I wanted to hear people's opinions about it.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
reply to post by hotel1

No but I worry about it a lot for some reason.

Look, I know this sounds bad at first, but it is really no different than criminals who commit a robbery being charged much harder if they carried a weapon on their person while the robbery was committed in my opinion. I'm in no way implying that women who are not married are worth less than married women. I just want the punishment for rape to increase across the board, but it seems like people are reluctant to do this for whatever reason. Many rapists get out after just a few years. That is not fair at all. I figure a common sense law like this would be a good starting point to decreasing the instance of rape of any woman because a rapist will never know if the woman is married or not

When they get an idea to hurt a woman, they can remember they might lose their entire life, if the one they chose happened to be married. I think many potential rapists would let the urge slide at that point.

I'm sorry of this is offending people.

I cant see that working to reduce instances of rape, simply because rapists when committing rapes are not thinking about consequences.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

You can't seriously think this.

You actually think criminals will THINK before they act about the person being married or not?! You actually think a criminal will care about his sentence right then and there?! If that were the case they wouldn't BE a criminal!

And yes as an unmarried female THIS offends me and if you knew me you'd know it takes a lot to offend me.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
The rapist of a married woman affects 2 lives directly that of the wife and the husband, not to mention he threatens to destroy a 3rd entity, that being the marriage. And if there are children in the marriage their livelihoods are threatened as well.
I think the penalty for violent rape of any woman should be life in prison, but if lawmakers are reluctant to do that, then can we at least agree that the penalty for violent rape of a married woman should be life in prison?

I get what you are saying, but I disagree. There are plenty of non married women who have significant others and children that would be just as effected as those attached to a married woman. The act of violent rape should be treated very harshly in my opinion, regardless of if the woman is married or not. But if we want this to become a law then there are steps to do so. I suggest if you want a stiffer law for violent rapists then you get busy getting either writing a bill or finding someone who can.

1. proposed bill
2. three separated readings
3. lower house
4. senate
5. president
6. implementation

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
In my opinion, they should be killed, or at the very least castrated.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Maybe I could work on getting penalties increased across the board on a state level. Here in WA we can raise referendums and have the people vote it into law if we get enough signatures... I'm going to look into this some more.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

Okay since no article. I'm sorry you are feeling deeply about this but the law will never change.(my opinion)

People get more time in jail for growing a plant than they do for rape. I don't understand that. And this is a touchy subject to say the least.

But like someone said above make a move to change it. I wish I was more motivated to change things. And good luck to you.

edit on 5-11-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

If a husband cant tell that she didnt want to have sex with that stranger in the allie who's tweeked out than he probably should get a reality check and have a long cold shower to try and sober him up to the truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join