It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Tree Traditions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I couldnt help myself, I put up my tree tonight. All the pretty shiny ornaments and Christmas candles just got me. I had to put it up early. I was wondering what everyone's traditions and about the timeframes everyone else on here puts theirs up. I'm usually doing it closer to thanksgiving, but for some reason I'm excited this year. Maybe because the last few years we had financial " hiccups" , but this year has been good to us. I'm definitely very thankful to The Big Guy up there that we've made it through. Now I'm in the mood for a little holiday cheer and lots of good baked food!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

I like to put my christmas on December 1st and I also like to create a nativity scene, I have some very nice italian figures.

Besides that I`m not a christian, I just think it`s a beautiful and interesting view to have once a a year lol

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Oh lord. Ive still got a house full of pumpkins, I cant be dealing with a Christmas tree as well.

I congratulate you on your spirit

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I was thinking about investing in a nice nativity, but my 4 year old will decide they need to fight...so I'll wait till he's older. I can already see him having the 3 wise men riding the donkey going to fight with Joseph
I'm hoping cold fronts will blow in if I try to decorate...wishful thinking.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I still have fresh pumpkin..now I need to cut it up and puree the things for Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

I kind of know how you feel about the nativity scene. In the first christmas after I acquired my dog I thought she would try to eat some figures lol

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

edit on 4-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I usually decorate in mid December. Growing up our tree had all blue lights and many homemade ornaments. My current tree is traditional white lights with shabby chic ornaments and ribbon. I aim to take it down after New Years but it usually takes longer because I'm lazy about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
We put our Christmas tree and decorations up 10 days before Christmas and take them down 10 days after.. although any bits we forget to pack that make it to the 11th day after then stay out till the next Christmas..

We had some Christmas sweetie (candy) dishes out by the front door last year... kept them filled the whole year, the kids loved it..
and this year we forgot to pack a couple of snow globes so they stayed on the mantel above the fire all year
was nice.. as they are musical, which we'd wind up every now and then as a reminder of Christmas cheer.. ROFL.

edit on 4/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I always have that one item that stays out of the boxes and floats around the house all year...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'll share something very special to me - I hope maybe for you all too.

A long time ago I got to help thread my Grandmother’s needle, then one for me and Grandpa while he popped the popcorn - I think the only time he was ever allowed in the kitchen leaving the house smelling so good with the smell a fresh popped corn!

A big bowl set between us my Grandmother and I started stringing those chubby white kernels one by one on a long white thread, Bob and Bing crooning in the background on her favorite Christmas vinyls.

After eating some popcorn and stringing less I asked my Grammy why we did it, used popcorn and all for a ‘garland’.

She explained that Christmas was for giving and forgiving.

With each popped kernel she recited the name of someone she loved, then the name of someone who had hurt her, or who she’d hurt or had a misunderstanding, a ‘tiff‘ with. A ‘thanksgiving‘ then a ‘regret‘ a wonderful memory next then something to try harder over to correct in the New Year.

She went on to tell me when Christmas was over and we put the tree outside? Little birds would come and eat the kernels of corn and for each kernel a little bird ate blessings would fall on those whose names we’d recited while stringing the corn.

‘Even the bad people?’ I asked.

‘Especially the bad people’. She answered.

Ever since? I string popcorn on thin white thread into lovely garlands to decorate my tree. I thank God for a specific friend or family member and add another piece then ask God to bless a specific person I know I’ve hurt or gotten mad at offering them silent forgiveness and asking the same in return. I include everyone and everything I can remember. My animals, the incredible place I live, ‘my’ volcano. People who’ve passed on already.

It’s like a string of memories and wishes - a long string of love and remorse and hope that so like life has us all strung together good with the bad.

Hope. Joy. Regret. More Hope and Love.

Before you know it? That string of popcorn is really long and your heart feel sooooooo free.

Later? When that poor old tree has dropped it’s needles and gets shoved outside propped up against a fence post? Little birds really do begin to come down and feed on it! And when that miracle happens you just can’t help but hope the little birds eat up each and every kernel - even for the ‘bad people’.

So, this Christmas don’t just remember those you love - but those you don’t love too.

You never know when a simple little wish for peace might change your heart - and theirs.

Merry Christmas and God Bless You All in 2013 and Beyond.

peace

top topics

join