It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extragalactic Background Light: Universe's First Stars Seen By NASA's Fermi Space Telescope!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Greetings friends. First twenty posts.. first topic. Please let me know where I make mistakes

Ultraviolet and visible light emitted by all the stars that ever existed is still coursing through the universe. Astronomers refer to this "fog" of starlight as the extragalactic background light (EBL). Image released Nov. 1, 2012.

Astronomers have spotted light from the very first stars in the universe, which are almost as old as time itself.

Shortly after the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago, the universe cooled enough to let atoms form, which eventually clumped together to create the first stars. Ever since these stars ignited, their light has been filling the universe, creating a pervasive glow throughout space that each successive generation of stars adds to.

Gamma rays interact with the EBL, which gives astronomers a means to probe the stellar content of the cosmos. Image released Nov. 1.

The new measurements should help astronomers answer some of their most basic questions about the first generations of stars, such as how quickly they formed, and how soon after the birth of the universe the first stars came to be, researchers said.

EBL: Universe's First Stars...

This is just another advancement in science that will lead us closer biggest answers in history. I'm no expert in the fields of space science, but I'm looking forward to the discussion!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by yubiaden

No mistakes. Great first thread! Quality counts, and you nailed it. SnF from me.

(Though, I am surprised you haven't gotten any comments yet. Weird. There are a lot of space buffs on here.)

I'm interested in understanding the beginning of the universe, and even tough we can see back that far, I don't think science has got a complete handle on it.

I'm of the opinion that our universe is actually a split from another. Then again, I adhere to the Multiverse theory of reality.

Keep up the quality thread making! Don't be discouraged by the lack of interest, just keep working at it. You'll learn the ropes quick enough.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yubiaden

Great Thread and interesting read.

I really do hate how scientist's age the Universe. I would rather them say they don't know then make up a random number. I think the Universe is much older then what they think it is.

join