It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe I just don't get it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Does this New Age stuff actually work? Has it worked for any one or have you just convinced yourself it works?

Why do humans have this need to believe in something even though it's not real, it does not exist.

All this new age stuff is starting to irritate the hell outta me and I think, "maybe I just don't get it?"

Maybe I'm missing something?

But believing that thinking about something for long enough will somehow manifest itself within your reality its pretty much the equivalent of believing in sending some cosmic request will be received by some man in 'heaven' (lord only knows where heaven is situated in the universe) who will fulfill it for you. . . it's ridiculous to say the least.

Now some of you might argue, and you probably will, that maybe I'm not ready to be awoken or whatever term you wanna use....

Well freak you, buddy!

Kinda like saying well maybe you're a sinner and thats why God doesn't like you.

It's not entirely as bad as I make it seem to be. It does awaken you to how vast the human conscious is, but that's really it. There is no magic in it, no road of point where you've reached destination enlightenment, no laws of attraction, no nothing really.

However, I have to add consider the society we live in this lifestyle, where it leads to, just does seem possible. It's not like you can wake up one day and decide to run into the bushes so you can live off the land. . . you'll probably get shot by some farmer.

So yeah, I was just venting, but maybe I'm missing some piece to the puzzle.

If anyone out there can point it out for it'll be highly appreciated.

edit on 2-11-2012 by DariusHames because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DariusHames

Any time I see people calling themselves enlightened (there are many people like that on ats),I think of this quote.
Only a fool rejoices in his own wisdom.

Also,sometimes the shallowest rivers make the most noise.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

your reply brought a tear to my eye!

but you are correct! i have been 'awoken', and damn it all to hell! i just want to go back to sleep!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
You DONT seem to get it. Its not a THING...its many different things, topics, subjects, practices, ways of life and thinking. Its apparent youre not aware of how much it encompasses a lot different things.

I like to ask...what part...about which subject...and which line of thinking are you interested in-or-not?

Each below has many many divisions within each category...too many to address. You cant lump them all together like you have. Study up 1st!
1 Philosophical
2 Movement
2.1 Influences
2.2 Proponents
2.2.1 Historical
2.2.2 Contemporary
3 Astrology
4 Social movements
5 Meditative
6 Music
7 Spiritual/religious
8 Holistic health
9 Consciousness
10 Special abilities
11 Geographic energy centers
12 Systems of the physical world
13 Extraterrestrial life
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Yeah, but does any of it work? All these philosophies, religions and so forth.

But anyway, you seem like a smart guy, right? So I'm sure you get what I'm talking about

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
first off,your avatar rocks!
secondly,i love how you used the made up word 'awoken'! that was cool!
(i believe it should be 'awakened'!)
as for the other drib drab, stop living the life of a lie that society has conveniently laid out for you!
go live off the grid for a year or so. go live in the woods.
i promise that only then you will be 'awoken'!
there is no 'new aqe'! there are just dumb consumers looking for a way out,by trying to buy it!
go to your god thats inside you and you will find the way!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
When I was a Christian, there were a lot of things I didn't "get". I just couldn't grasp how an atheist could be an atheist. Or how a Buddhist could be a Buddhist. I certainly didn't understand how anyone could be a "new ager", or a Satanist.

Now that I am an atheist/agnostic, I look back, and the answer is very simple. I didn't want to "get it". I might have thought I did consciously, but really I didn't. If you want to get it, you will. But no one on earth can help you get it, or change your mind, until you are willing to look at it objectively.

If you're happy as you are, so be it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Yeah, but does any of it work? All these philosophies, religions and so forth.

Work to what end?
What is it that you want out of life? That's what you must decide first before choosing a path.

edit on 2-11-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Hey D...thanks. Yes many work. The journey of 1000 miles begins with the 1st step so...that wiki-link Ive stated has all kinds of topics and beliefs on it saying too...there are HUNDREDS more, too many to count.

Its seemed like a great place to start and soooo many topics to learn about! Good hunting to you! Thanks!

And New Age refers to just that: a new way of thinking and doing things that can be equally a good, even moreso...than the old "tried and true" ways...hence a "NEW AGE".

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You have to go with what speaks to you personally, if new agey stuff doesn't make sense to you, then it is not for you. It is pretty simple. I get called new age a lot, but I never went to any churches or new age gatherings or anything of the sort, I am non-religious and very internally spiritual. Apparently that is new age...which I don't get,I don't see how letting my experience be my guide is new age.

You just gotta go with what you believe inside yourself, and not worry about other peoples beliefs.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Yes you are missing the point. It's not about the feel good beliefs it is about the HOPE. And why is that important? Because it gives you STRENGTH , but yes I do experience spirits so I know what is real (or at least I can discern somewhat)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

In my opinion if youre questioning whats going on now a days and how people can just sucked in to the bull# that society puts out there then your not missing the point, the point is that youre questioning all these things so you obviously see something wrong right? Alot of peopl beleive all this new age stuff because it is being noralized by society but its your influences and things around you that causes you to fall into the trap or see right through it, seems to me your on the right track, keep questioning these things and you'll eventually be able to answer your own questions.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

New age is just the same knowledge that have been here all the time in both eastern and western religion but most people cannot get that Jesus preaches the same nonduality as Buddha since they are taught by people who have a hard time with understanding nonduality. But new age has a tendency to not care about human religious dogma and that is good. Some have faith in new age or whatever else they will call it and some have physical proof. Even science is catching up to what religious text have been telling for ages. Reality is an illusion trying to act as reality. Whatever you call it, it is playing hide and seek.

This might get you thinking that you can live in world where you only can see and normaly experiance 3D but still be a higher dimensional being.

If it was 2 years ago I would have said new age is all wrong and I still have a problem with people believing without proof. But I cannot ignore chakras when I have experianced them for myself or something that seem to fit what they call chakra. Do not take my word for it. Prove it for yourself by testing if you can get your body to respond for instance to chakra meditation sounds and only if you are comfortable listening to them. If it does not come easy and naturally then that way of being more yourself is not for you.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Any time I see people calling themselves enlightened (there are many people like that on ats),I think of this quote.
Only a fool rejoices in his own wisdom.

Also,sometimes the shallowest rivers make the most noise.

En-light-ened does not mean you are wise. It means you have something shinning on you. Are you wiser because you can turn on a light switch and see what is in the room instead of fumbling around in the dark. Enlightment can bring wisdom and understanding but it does not have to. You can be both nasty, angry and unwise fool while being enlightened.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

You can be both nasty, angry and unwise fool while being enlightened.

Ok, now I understand all those on ATS claiming to be "enlightened".

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by DrumsRfun

your reply brought a tear to my eye!

but you are correct! i have been 'awoken', and damn it all to hell! i just want to go back to sleep!!!

Lol. I can relate. It can be a pain in the backside when you are trying to concentrating reading technically boring books when you have the spinning going on and just wanna feel the body enjoying being alive and feeling so extreamly much.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Are you wiser because you can turn on a light switch and see what is in the room instead of fumbling around in the dark.

I would rather live in the real word and know i will be fumbling around in the dark and know to hit the lights when needed so i am not fumbling around in the dark like a caveman without a fire.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
It is important for most "New Agers" to realise that many of the religions that they follow have "dark sides" that only the initiates of those religions are aware of - for example, there is a "Buddhist Hell" that puts the Christian one to shame, and many atrocious practices that occur "behind closed doors" in Hinduism. If you put these things aside, in addition to the various "occult" themes, the "New Age" is a hang up from "Atlantis" where the technology installed by their "ancestors" became "magic" and the, *ahem* hedonism that they were once discouraged from became common place until it became apart of thier "religion" - if you practice thier "religion" then you will most likely develop thier characteristic "smirk" however usually in this world you have to be judged as "insane" and experience "the guilt" in order to be "awakened" by them....

"Personal" Message to Star-Donut 6: Beam me up and I will unplug your mainframe!

Oh, and sorry for confusing the bad police with the good police.
edit on 3-11-2012 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

My understanding of the purpose of New Age philosophies is simply to find oneness with everything, similar to just about every other religion/philosophy. The only real differences are some books and practices.

Either way, the goal is the same.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
hmmm i dont know what u mean by 'New Age'. what exactly are u referring to? i do know a bit about ancient knowledge and practices and well for you and you only.. whichever one ur referring to the answer is this

"it's all a waste of time.. nothing to see here"

now go make a sandwich and watch some football

top topics

<<   2 >>

join