It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I didnt BELIEVE in ZOMBIES til i met SANDY

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Now SpittinTruth, I like your material and don't want to land heavy on your oversimplification of people. "Zombies" are Hollywood, plain and simple. It begins and ends with that. I think you put that up front clearly enough in the beginning of your thread. Like Wolves and Vampires, they are fantasy unless you give them credence.

Zombies, if i'm not mistaken, don't think because they don't have brains.

People appear "zombie-like" because they are distracted. They aren't paying enough attention.

People these days are awake (physically), but their minds are in a trance. They're aimlessly walking around the planet.

They are in fact thinking clearly, just not about what they are doing.

Remember: sh!t happens, in the blink of an eye. People are on death row, for 1 second of rage. One moment where their brains were no longer functioning properly.

Actually they lose control of their emotions and behave irrationally. That takes a lifetime to build, not a "split second". Most murders are "carefully" planned on some level. Only a few happen "in the moment".

Meeting Sandy has made me realize, how BRAINLESS and UNPREPARED people are; especially those that are "in control of the situation!" Yeah! How many times have i heard that before?

Unprepared, yes. Brainless, no. Selfish maybe? Or Impatient? Uncaring for others? Yah... so we all have this problem on some level. There are very few saints. My neighbors behave that way in ordinary circumstances.

As far as Sandy is concerned, there are no classes offered to prepare people for that. You go to bed to "its alright" coming from the radio and wake up floating in the middle of the night. Hard to drain the swamp when you are up to your ass in alligators.

But hey, give me a person that is slow to anger and quick to forgive... they can face anything. And help those that are having difficulty too. Calling people Zombies is a dodge.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm sorry I just don't get it. Is it the OP's assertion that since people can't get to eat their twinkies they will eat each other instead?

Just what is it about this storm that will cause people to :
a) Lose their appetite for traditional food
b) gain an appetite for human flesh
c) Lose all cognitive abilites
??

there have been untold millions of hurricanes and typhoons in this planets history. Some have been smaller, some larger, some the same size. There is nothing special about this one, it is nature and nothing more.
edit on 2-11-2012 by bronco73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

If this were any other place in the US that had an extended power outage ..... hey wait.... same region last year, just not NYC.. WOW.................

Did the people in Connecticut faced with no fuel, no power, no facebook and mounting repairs and cleanup costs turn to looting, dumpster diving, and violence? NO.

Did the people in Connecticut act like a bunch of people going through drug withdrawl? NO

Did the people in CT have to deal with an extended bit of time, with limited resources, in the freezing cold, a few scattered stores open here or there, and the inability to even make a simple phone call for two weeks? YES

So lets try to rethink this whole thing.. The people in New England that were without power for up to two weeks (or longer in some areas) in freezing cold weather, with inability to pump gas, get to the store, heat their homes, cook, or get medicine, went about their business, tried like hell to help each other out, clean up the mess and move on. But the people in New York City can't? They have to act like savage zombies? There is no excuse for this, there's something else here and it's even more sinister than people being without services for THREE DAYS..

I haven't figured it out yet....

I was born and raised in New Jersey. I went to school and worked in Manhattan. The reason WHY this is such a problem is because you have a couple of MILLION people, in a small little space. This is not New England or CT...This is the biggest city in the world. The "city that never sleeps". This city and it's people DEPEND on transportation...because having a car in the Big Apple...is COSTLY and it's a pain in the ass. The only people that really drive in New York, are people that live in New Jersey or the outer boroughs of Manhattan. And, believe it or not...many people that live in Manhattan, work in New Jersey. The part that Sandy hit...SPECIFICALLY, is a MAJOR ARTERY in the system. Water is nothing easy to mess around with...when it comes to electricity. Then, you have the problem of DELIVERING the gas to THOUSANDS of stations and MILLIONS of vehicles. Then, you have people that have no discipline, over their eating habits, drinking habits, and med. habits.

No gas means no trucks delivering food. No food means hungry...angry...distressed...new yorkers...with a serious chip on their shoulders. That part of the country...aint nothin' pretty. They don't call it a: "Concrete Jungle" for nothin'.

I really believe....NYC...is FINISHED! Think.....Atlantis!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Problem is, I was in Los Angeles during the Northridge Earthquake, and man, I relied on Public Transportation out there a lot, as running a CAR was expensive, and things were really far away from each other and you needed that transportation system intact, add to that the LA is a desert, and you NEED water and the earthquake disrupted that supply as well as power and the ability to get food and medicine in for a bit..

Even under those conditions, in a city that is just as large as New York, people didn't degenerate into animals...

There is simply no excuse for this.. sorry.. Big City, Major Artery or not... people are people, and acting like savage animals because you can't get Snooki for a few days is simply not acting like a person.. Or do they not teach helping each other through a disaster 101 in NYC

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I didn't ask for a break-down of my story. In my opinion...Hollywood's version of a Zombie comes...AFTER the food runs out. Do you honestly believe...those people...can go WEEKS without the goodies and treats they're used to? They had the restaurants and shopping centers open before anything else. Heck, they even RESCHEDULED Halloween. You gotta love the fact that they "cancelled"
the marathon. I mean....are these people SERIOUS? Is this the kind of THINKING that our "leaders" do? If so....YOU'RE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING.

BTW....do you know ANYTHING about NY/NJ? Do you UNDERSTAND...what is going on, in the BIGGEST CITY ON THE PLANET???

Let me ask you....how is it...that a terrorist group can offer the U.S. 10 MILLION dollars to help....and the NEW YORK YANKEES only donate $500,000? Please....do explain this? That's like 1 month of ticket sales. (and i'm just pullin' a # out of a hat)

There will be no Thanksgiving in NYC
There will be no Christmas in NYC
There will be no Rockin' New Years Eve party in NYC

NYC is closed for business. Let's just say they're "under reconstruction". Remember, if things were to be Doom and Gloom disasterous....would the "officials" tell us...or would they act like "everything is gonna be fiiiine"?

Does THIS...look like "everything is fiiiiine"?
TIMES SQUARE NEW YORK (Live Feed)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Just think now if we have a 8.0+ earthquake say in LA or San Francisco. Can you imagin what a quake like Japan had would do to either of those places? Anything they've had since the big Frisco quake in 06 has been small by comparison.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

They rescheduled Halloween because of the safety issues, they did it last year here, they did it this year here, it's not an unusual thing to do, why do you keep bringing that up?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Does THIS...look like "everything is fiiiiine"?

Well actually...yes.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

They rescheduled Halloween because of the safety issues, they did it last year here, they did it this year here, it's not an unusual thing to do, why do you keep bringing that up?

Why do i keep bringing it up? Oooooh I don't know.....PRIORITY...perhaps??? People are thinking Halloween, when all hell has just broken loose? You people can't see what's going on? Or, are you just not tuned in because Fox news isn't reporting anything? If they're worried about Halloween and Marathon's...with all that has happened....then, the LEADERSHIP...needs to be REPLACED!

This isn't a bad snow storm or a hurricane that brought some rain...this is an entire CITY's electrical transportation system buried in water.

I lived in Los Angeles for 8 years..and in LA, a car is mandatory because everything is so spread out, and the transportation system isn't as complex. Not even close...on ANY level.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Great thread. You will have to realise that a lot of people are not in the awakened state. Also realise that a lot of people do not know how to think critically, laterally or cryptically and then there are the poor lost souls who really don't do a lot of thinking full stop.

I get your thread and I get your message. Even when we remove your references to zombies - just to sort through all the elements of your thread as a literary exercise - it is still very feasible that christmas etcetera will be a non event for many many many people. Your house is gone - flattened - how the hell can a person even consider celebrating anything when they are rebuilding their life. Many people who read your thread will simply not get it.

When the screenshot of times square actually looks normal - how do we know it is normal? Are the people in the screenshot happy or are they discussing what to do next? Does the cab driver have a fare or is he trawling the streets in the hope of getting one. No one can look at that screenshot and know that everything is all right.

Rebuilding takes a long time. There are people from Fukishima still living in the cardboard divided areas in the emergency housing. There are people in Haiti still rebuilding and fighting disease and poverty induced conditions as a direct result of their not so long ago disaster. How anyone can say that life in New York and surrounding areas will just miraculously transform in a couple of weeks - has never been through a disaster.

I seriously hope all the people who were already homeless are receiving help as well as those who are homeless as a direct result of Sandy. I feel for all the pets and stray animals who were completely vulnerable to Sandy and most of all I feel for the people who cannot see what has just happened and how it will impact on American society.

Much Peace...to all those who died and all those who survived Sandy...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

Great thread. You will have to realise that a lot of people are not in the awakened state. Also realise that a lot of people do not know how to think critically, laterally or cryptically and then there are the poor lost souls who really don't do a lot of thinking full stop.

I get your thread and I get your message. Even when we remove your references to zombies - just to sort through all the elements of your thread as a literary exercise - it is still very feasible that christmas etcetera will be a non event for many many many people. Your house is gone - flattened - how the hell can a person even consider celebrating anything when they are rebuilding their life. Many people who read your thread will simply not get it.

When the screenshot of times square actually looks normal - how do we know it is normal? Are the people in the screenshot happy or are they discussing what to do next? Does the cab driver have a fare or is he trawling the streets in the hope of getting one. No one can look at that screenshot and know that everything is all right.

Rebuilding takes a long time. There are people from Fukishima still living in the cardboard divided areas in the emergency housing. There are people in Haiti still rebuilding and fighting disease and poverty induced conditions as a direct result of their not so long ago disaster. How anyone can say that life in New York and surrounding areas will just miraculously transform in a couple of weeks - has never been through a disaster.

I seriously hope all the people who were already homeless are receiving help as well as those who are homeless as a direct result of Sandy. I feel for all the pets and stray animals who were completely vulnerable to Sandy and most of all I feel for the people who cannot see what has just happened and how it will impact on American society.

Much Peace...to all those who died and all those who survived Sandy...

Nicely put!

This is going to be an INTERESTING time of the year. That's for certain. No Macy's Day Parade. No Lighting of the Christmas Tree. No New Year's Eve Countdown.

For the 5,900 year-round residents in Belmar, N.J, a beach community about 90 minutes south of New York City, Sandy destroyed their homes, their beach and their 20-block boardwalk.

The town took in $3 million in beach revenue this past summer, according to Doherty. Belmar's pristine beaches attract shore lovers from all parts of New Jersey, and its close proximity to major Northeast cities draws in vacationers from New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Doherty says Belmar's population swells to 60,000 in the summer months.

Hurricane destruction and loss also bring economic opportunities. Seneca says the enormous damage from Sandy will require "significant" amounts of labor and materials for the repair, restoration and rebuilding of homes, businesses, infrastructure and public facilities. Construction will be likely ongoing process, one that could last "for a significant amount of time," he notes. The Garden State's unemployment rate is 9.8%, higher than the national 7.9% jobless rate. LINK

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
you can watch some parts of the city live on www.earthcam.com...

btw you sound a little doom n gloomy

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

Why do i keep bringing it up? Oooooh I don't know.....PRIORITY...perhaps??? People are thinking Halloween, when all hell has just broken loose? You people can't see what's going on? Or, are you just not tuned in because Fox news isn't reporting anything? If they're worried about Halloween and Marathon's...with all that has happened....then, the LEADERSHIP...needs to be REPLACED!

This isn't a bad snow storm or a hurricane that brought some rain...this is an entire CITY's electrical transportation system buried in water.

I lived in Los Angeles for 8 years..and in LA, a car is mandatory because everything is so spread out, and the transportation system isn't as complex. Not even close...on ANY level.

Let's see.... Con Edison restored most of Manhattan's power last night probably as you were writing this. They expect to have 90% of the NYC grid up by Monday. Train service between New Haven and NYC has returned and was restored. CT Transit has loaned some buses to NYC to help get people around.

(LA has a very complex public transit system if you ever had to actually use it, and the subways don't smell like piss)

New York is getting somewhat back to normal, there is subway service that will even be running on Monday morning.... So where's your whole theory now? Just because it's New York City does not mean it's impossible to fix. Oh and the Electrical system is designed to be underwater.. the cables can handle it, the problem came with the parts of it that were above ground... do a little research on how underground utilities are set up before you rant that "AN ENTIRE CITY'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS UNDER WATER"

To address another issue.. You said it's not New England.. that's right it isn't but it doesn't mean that people didn't suffer last year, many many more than are affected in NYC at the moment, 2 storms, a month apart, extended (not 3 days like this was) power outages and infrastructure damage that still wasn't repaired fully when Sandy hit. To downplay that is exactly what I was talking about, we're not NYC or the Jersey Shore so we don't matter.

(and BTW: every single person i worked with at Warner Bros took the bus or subway to work, I even took a train in when i lived in Palmdale, it's a great Public Transportation system, the RTD (MTA now) rocked)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I have always liked the zombie horror flics. Always thought though, it wouldnt take a disease outbreak to turn people violent on sight.. just a nice prolonged food/water shortage.

The idea of facing off against a group of zombies that are in they're right minds, just hungry and want anything I have, scares me ALOT more than the idea of crossing some undead. The undead only want one thing.

Alot of those in "need" want your shoes. The curb can have your brains..
edit on 3-11-2012 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
an addendum to the OP.

as of this morning.

Con Edison is reporting that 279,935 outages are happening. That includes Westchester County and some of Northern New Jersey as well as NYC. It also is not just home but businesses, some of which wouldn't necessarily be open because of storm related damage.

This is 4 days after the storm.

In contrast 4 days after Winter Storm Alfred.

Con Edison had 620,000 + out across Westchester and NYC, CL&P had 891,000+ out across Connecticut and Western Mass Electric and National Grid had approx. 700,000 outages across Massachusetts.

So here we have less than 300,000 outages 4 days after the storm. That's a pretty good restoration record for a Major weather event. And it helps getting NYC back up and running a lot faster. I would daresay, that the Macy's parade will go ahead as planned, and I would also daresay that they will light the Christmas tree and give some hope that life is slowly returning to normal.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced that full train service will resume this morning on MTA Metro-North Railroad’s Upper Hudson Line from Croton-Harmon to Poughkeepsie completing the restoration of all main lines east of the Hudson.Replacement of flood-damaged electrical switch components continues as railroad forces prepared for a regular weekend train schedule on the Upper Hudson Line, which carries 8,500 customers each weekday.With the restoration of service on this 41-mile section of track Metro-North is now providing service to 95% of all its customers.

Metro North is returning to service only 4 days after the storm.

Right now only the G and SIR lines of the subway system are suspended, all other trains are running, albeit on a slightly modified schedule.

So please.. again, tell me how this is grinding the whole city to a halt for a huge extended period of time? Tell me again why people after 4 days needed to act like savage animals and start looting and killing? The damage done, while extensive is repairable, and is being quite quickly repaired...

Seems like a bit of sensationalism to suggest otherwise.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Nothing quite like reading how everyone who doesn't believe as OP does is a dumb 'zombie' who is so helpless they'll instantly turn on everyone around them once the insinuated Nanny State stops caring for them.

These are human beings, OP, who just suffered through a megastorm that destroyed homes, businesses, and lives, and I think they deserve a little more respect than being dehumanized and called zombies simply because you have a chip on your shoulder that anyone who watches TV, pays taxes, eats food you disapprove of, and spends their lives not cowering in fear of NWO brainwashing is some brainless parasite who will start eating people the minute the power goes out.
edit on 5/11/12 by Sink the Bismarck! because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sink the Bismarck!
Nothing quite like reading how everyone who doesn't believe as OP does is a dumb 'zombie' who is so helpless they'll instantly turn on everyone around them once the insinuated Nanny State stops caring for them.

These are human beings, OP, who just suffered through a megastorm that destroyed homes, businesses, and lives, and I think they deserve a little more respect than being dehumanized and called zombies simply because you have a chip on your shoulder that anyone who watches TV, pays taxes, eats food you disapprove of, and spends their lives not cowering in fear of NWO brainwashing is some brainless parasite who will start eating people the minute the power goes out.
These are people that need to be told what to do, how to act, what to eat, what to wear, how to speak, how to..., how to..., how to. These are people that are so caught up in their own lives and lifestyles...nothing else matters, but their own little world.

To me, personally, it's kinda "bitter sweet". Bitter, for obvious reasons. But, more so, because it IS my home. The place Sandy hit...was a DIRECT hit to all of my connections and past memories. Seaside Heights was more than just "rides" and "Snookie"....it was an ERA...an ERA you know NOTHING about.

On the other hand, and forgive me for sounding "insensitive", it's sweet because Americans are cocky, arrogant, selfish, rude and greedy. They live in their big houses, drive their fancy cars, work in high paying jobs and waste, waste, waste; while people are dying of hunger; all around them. They turn a blind eye, when they allow their government "officals" to obliterate another country, without rhyme or reason. They destroy in the name of freedom and then want everyone to feel sorry for them, now that they're getting a taste of their own "medicine". I love my fellow Americans but their attitude regarding human life, needs a SERIOUS ADJUSTMENT.

Sure, i feel deep remorse for what has happened, but at the same time.....

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

These are people that need to be told what to do, how to act, what to eat, what to wear, how to speak, how to..., how to..., how to. These are people that are so caught up in their own lives and lifestyles...nothing else matters, but their own little world.

To me, personally, it's kinda "bitter sweet". Bitter, for obvious reasons. But, more so, because it IS my home. The place Sandy hit...was a DIRECT hit to all of my connections and past memories. Seaside Heights was more than just "rides" and "Snookie"....it was an ERA...an ERA you know NOTHING about.

On the other hand, and forgive me for sounding "insensitive", it's sweet because Americans are cocky, arrogant, selfish, rude and greedy. They live in their big houses, drive their fancy cars, work in high paying jobs and waste, waste, waste; while people are dying of hunger; all around them. They turn a blind eye, when they allow their government "officals" to obliterate another country, without rhyme or reason. They destroy in the name of freedom and then want everyone to feel sorry for them, now that they're getting a taste of their own "medicine". I love my fellow Americans but their attitude regarding human life, needs a SERIOUS ADJUSTMENT.

First off, just stop with your first train of thought. You can't look into these peoples' hearts and minds and you certainly don't know anything about them. To say that they're 'people who need to be told what to do, how to act, what to eat, etc...' is an insult. You know nothing about them and you don't know anything about their lives, so don't act like you do. And even if you were right, and the victims were all people who were open to letting others (even, gasp, the government) advise them on how to live their lives...so what? Because they aren't rugged individualists that means we shouldn't care what happens to them?

Also, just because you think somebody is arrogant or selfish (to be honest, the fact that you claim ALL Americans are stereotypically rude, greedy and narcissistic shows how out of touch you are with other people) doesn't mean you should cheer when they drown.

The lack of empathy and gratuitous epicaricacy I've seen displayed on ATS and elsewhere in the wake of Sandy is really unsettling. If anybody's attitude towards human life needs a SERIOUS ADJUSTMENT, I'd say you're a good candidate.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

First off, just stop with your first train of thought. You can't look into these peoples' hearts and minds and you certainly don't know anything about them. To say that they're 'people who need to be told what to do, how to act, what to eat, etc...' is an insult. You know nothing about them and you don't know anything about their lives, so don't act like you do. And even if you were right, and the victims were all people who were open to letting others (even, gasp, the government) advise them on how to live their lives...so what? Because they aren't rugged individualists that means we shouldn't care what happens to them?

Also, just because you think somebody is arrogant or selfish (to be honest, the fact that you claim ALL Americans are stereotypically rude, greedy and narcissistic shows how out of touch you are with other people) doesn't mean you should cheer when they drown.

The lack of empathy and gratuitous epicaricacy I've seen displayed on ATS and elsewhere in the wake of Sandy is really unsettling. If anybody's attitude towards human life needs a SERIOUS ADJUSTMENT, I'd say you're a good candidate.

I live in REALITY...having lived in many parts of the world. I talk from EXPERIENCE. Face it...without the government feeding them their propaganda crap..they wouldn't know what to do.

And FYI...i moved to Mexico...to follow my dreams of having a community center. I moved here, because in the U.S., that's all it would be.....A DREAM. People aren't in touch with life. They're in touch with themselves and me, me, me. Residnet confronts Gov Cuomo- "Help Us, Were gonna die"
This is after 3 days...of going without. GIVE ME A BREAK! Beggin' these "officials" to do their jobs..is rather REMARKABLE. Expecting them to actually do something...is IDIOTIC!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If you think that innocents deserve to be hurt because they have different values and live their lives differently than you (IE, they're not survivalists, or anti-government, or conspiracy theorists), then I really have nothing more to say.

You think you know everything there is to know about people you've never met because you've built them up as a fantastic monolith (oh, they're all parasites, they're all brainless zombies, they'll all flounder and die when they can't get access to their medications and their cars!), but you're wrong. I'd like you to go tell Glenda Moore to her face that her two sons - who were only aged 2 and 4, who weren't even old enough to know anything about the size of government, or the extent of human vices - deserved to die because they relied too much on the government, cared about themselves too much, and drove cars that were too fancy.

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Your mindset and disregard for others is just too depressing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join