It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea's talking elephant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Just recently there was a thread about NOC the talking beluga whale and the syntax used by dolphins. Now meet Koshik, S. Korea's talking elephant.

By putting its trunk in its mouth the elephant can say five words which are easily understandable to those who speak Korean, University of Vienna elephant communication expert Angela Stoeger and her colleagues said in their report An Asian Elephant Imitates Human Speech, which has been published in the journal Current Biology.

www.stuff.co.nz... to-say-hello

Naturally, they say he doesn't understand what he's saying. Well, they said the same thing about John Merick. I really believe in 20 or more years we're going to unlock secrets about animals and hopefully one day we can learn to communicate. There should be no reason anymore to think animals don't have the intelligence to carry on a conversation to some degree. However, I don't think I can give up steak. It's a shame really.

edit on 2-11-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Scientists were successfully having conversations with Dolphins last year. The Dolphins were able to understand what the scientists were saying and vice versa. Obviously there was a medium used, but it was interesting none the less.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I was just gonna say this is really fascinating, especially given the timing with the beluga and whatnot

Then I read your last sentence
I hope we don't have to explain to cows, pigs and chickens at some point that they're delicious, and that humans prefer sandwiches to lively debates with farm animals

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
I was just gonna say this is really fascinating, especially given the timing with the beluga and whatnot

Then I read your last sentence
I hope we don't have to explain to cows, pigs and chickens at some point that they're delicious, and that humans prefer sandwiches to lively debates with farm animals

When the day comes when a cow, pig or even a chicken says "don't eat me", I will drop my fork for good.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
What drives me absolutely mad is that someone feels it necessary to mention that the elephant won't know the meaning of the words. Of course he does. Elephants are one of the most intelligent animals on this planet. Heck my guinea pig knows the meaning of certain words [far too well]. Our cat even communicates with noises resembling certain words, using them at the right time.
Parrots know fully well what the speech they are making means. Maybe not entire sentences but they know what means what.
I can only repeat that animals are far more intelligent that most people believe.
To say that they just ape us without any insight, is a huge insult to these beings.

There will be a time [once we get all the evidence that close minded people need] where we think back in shock of how we treated sentient beings.
If you live close with an animal and you have intelligence, you will know that they are all people. Granted, they come in strange shapes and often unable to speak human but they do try. Harder than we do. they are friends, companions, children and all in between.
To wrap it up, I say it again: Yes the elephant knows what he is saying. To doubt this means you have not understood animals yet.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

It all boils down to human ego. Scientists don't like to admit they're wrong. If we spent just as much money going to mars on bridging the gap between humans and animals, they would have a lot to tell us about our planet.

top topics

join