It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Subway System: BIGGEST DISASTER of its 108 years in existence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

New York Subway System Takes Hit From Sandy

Superstorm Sandy flooded parts of the New York City subway system, rail yards and bus depots, creating what officials are calling the biggest disaster of its 108 years in existence.

“The New York City subway system…has never faced a disaster as devastating as what we experienced last night,” MTA Chairman Joe Lhota said in a statement. ”Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc on our entire transportation system, in every borough and county of the region.”

New york has NEVER experienced this before. This is something that could affect the city for weeks.

We are hours from daylight on the East Coast, and soon we will be flooded inundated with images of what Sandy did in the cover of darkness.

But I think this story is only just beginning!!

I hate to say it, but this is starting to feel like something that may even trump Katrina's aftermath.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but imagine a flooded New York City with little power and little transportation.

edit on 30-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

imagine a flooded New York City with little power and little transportation.

edit on 30-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

Oh my God that's terrible!
edit on 30-10-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Explanation: S&F!

OL can see it now ... "Reports are flooding in from everywhere ...!" :shk:

Personal Disclosure: Brings a new meaning to surviving on seafood subway sandwich.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Hmmm. I thought the subway entrances were sealed off.
So who was down there waiting for the money shot?
Since the subway was shut down, how you reckon that camera man
got out?
He climbed up against the flooding to upper roadway which was also flooded.

Fotoforensics says: Photoshop.

Not to say there is no flooding, just this made for media pic is bogus.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm just north of Philadelphia, we lost power about 13 hours ago.

The has been some flooding near the water ways here, but otherwise the storm passed through pretty quickly. It doesn't look like there was too much damage around here. We'll see how it looks when the sun comes up.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

It looks like it's from a security camera.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Security.Camera!

Man, everything is not a conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

It looks like it's from a security camera.

There's no date/time stamp.

In any case: fotoforensics.com...

My favorite site. It wades through the media which posts all manner of fakeries since they no longer use
photojournalist nearly as much as people who can create images.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I'm just north of Philadelphia, we lost power about 13 hours ago. The has been some flooding near the water ways here, but otherwise the storm passed through pretty quickly. It doesn't look like there was too much damage around here. We'll see how it looks when the sun comes up.

The storm surge on the Delaware is 8 feet ... Boeing and all the refineries are sitting on the river. I expect flooding with them. The refineries there provide 7% of the gas for the country. If they are flooded, this will hit gas prices.

Also - Philly closed all the highways. All of them. Some dip pretty low near the rivers so I'm wondering about pot holes and sink holes, etc etc ....

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The damage to infrastructure is enormous. To inspect every nut and bolt in the affected areas is a massive job. Don't forget any damage to foundations. It realy is massive damage. I expect lots of buildings are severley damaged at foundation level and will become condemned. It really is a disaster of epic proportions. It will take years to recover.
edit on 30-10-2012 by magma because: distractions

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

loam, it's worse than you've imagined. aside from paying a cabby over 40 dollars per ride (if they can even go the way you're asking), you're not getting out of the city. there is no - i repeat no public transportation that is available now in any of the five burroughs that i'm aware of.

my friend who's dating an EMT said he spent most of the night traveling around in a raft. in coordination with the fbi, he was able to find out that the approximate death toll they were considering as of 3 hours ago was about 80 people. the situation is grim.

i'm already seeing reports of fake con edison workers burglarizing homes around brighton beach. if the majority of power doesn't come back on by the end of tonight, i presume things will get worse.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yup, you're absolutely right.

But other than flooding in those areas, there does not seem to be much damage from wind and flying debris. At least around here anyway.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by facedye

Sad that 'cash' is still an issue in such a crisis!!

Looks like this Storm hit real bad!

Seen all the skynews footage.... flooding, fires, power outages for over 6 million people....

Definately looks like something out of 'the day after tomorrow'
edit on 30-10-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

it's completely eerie stuff! i've never experienced something like this in all my years of living here. those meteorologists really weren't kidding when they said to expect the worst storm in a hundred years. that's exactly what it felt like.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Maybe a thorough washing will improve the smell?

It's not like it could reek any worse.

Im an unabashed NY hater. Let the cesspool sink and every rat drown.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I second that

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Maybe a thorough washing will improve the smell?

It's not like it could reek any worse.

Im an unabashed NY hater. Let the cesspool sink and every rat drown.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

actuallly looks more like a movie shot. i am almost positive I have seen that before!!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I feel sorry for the many homeless people who may have been sleeping in old/disused subway tunnels-I wonder if they were cleared out before the storm hit?
I watched a film about the homeless who live under the streets of NY,and there are a lot of them down there.
I hope they were warned,and got out safe in time.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The subway system may have saved a lot of lives. Nice drains.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by facedye

imagine living in new orleans when tha hurricane hit. Now that is a disater. A few pics the news shows is just for ratings. They want you glued to the boob tube!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join