It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-14A Tomcat engine problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Can somebody here elaborate on the engine problems that the F-14A Tomcat had? My biggest question is, why'd they wait so long to replace the engine and make the F-14B?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Can somebody here elaborate on the engine problems that the F-14A Tomcat had? My biggest question is, why'd they wait so long to replace the engine and make the F-14B?

The biggest problem with it was underpowered. It only generated 20,900 lbs of thrust with afterburner. It was also distollerant of disrupted airflow in the intake which had a tendancy to lead to compressor stalls. The flat spin that was shown in TOP GUN was a real problem for the early Tomcat crews and sadly several pilots and NFOs died as a result.

The Navy decided that it could not wait for a new engine to go through the development stage before it was willing to declare the Tomcat operational. As a result the A version had to be dealt with until the new engines were available.

Thanks to the new engines the Tomcat can take off with a full load without afterburner. It also could take off with just one engine (in afterburner) from a carrier.

Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It does help, thanks.

Yeah, most people didn't realize at the time, but that flat spin shown in Top Gun was a pretty grave issue. I wonder how scary it must've been for Tomcat pilots to enter their plane knowing their engine could die on them.

I also heard of some F-14As exploding, literally, while flying on afterburner. Is that true?

I didn't realize the newer Tomcats could take off without afterburner. Interesting.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I also heard of some F-14As exploding, literally, while flying on afterburner. Is that true?

Well, the engines had a tendancy to eat themselves up. There were numerous occasions of flameout that turned out to be more like blowouts.

However, I have never heard of the aircraft exploding while in flight from the afterburners being lit.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If I recall correctly the Tomcat 'A' engine was a development of the F 111's P&W TF30.

Check out the F111 story. It's very interesting and fairly enlightening as to how budgets work and the use of the media by the variuous interested parties. It's also a great example of knowing when to carry on (the F111A, C, E, F, FB111) and when to cut your losses and move on to something newer and better (F111B).

Anyhoo the TF30's had a long history of being awkward and giving problems I think you'll find.

To the best of my knowledge the upgrading was always caught between those who wanted the 'D' model ad those who wanted the 'plus' or 'B'.

In the end neither really happened in the way that it might have.

top topics

join