It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA: One Climb and Side step closer....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I found this interesting new DARPA progress video. I did a search and didn't find anything under the video description in English. If it has been posted before then MODS please close. I thought it worth posting.

It seems they are getting one step closer to what many have envisioned will be the next development for the Combat zone of the future. Navigating the various obstacles will be a must...

Thoughts?
edit on 27-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thoughts? Well, nothing substantive from me:

In 40 years, I'm changing my name to Adam Jensen.

Transhumanism all the way baby, no breaks on this train!

DARPA's leaps and bounds will translate into the medical and cosmetic community within 15 years.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
As time progresses, the richer countries will begin, as we have already experienced, a more removed experience of combat.

Interesting developments are being made in portability for robotics. Which will allow for easier logistics and extend the effective range of this robots.

I hope to see some development in combat equipment, not individual robotic soldiers, but mechanized Exoskeletons for troops.

I would like to see more of what is being developed in this video

In my opinion, you will never match the situational awareness and effectiveness of a living person in a field of operation.
edit on 27-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I can see this.

Its the mixture of Strong AI, I worry about.

“So far, robots, including industrial robots, have been able to do specific tasks quickly and accurately. But if their environment changes slightly, robots like that can’t respond. This robot remembers only basic knowledge, and it can apply that knowledge to its immediate situation. If it doesn’t know enough, it stops, and reacts by saying, “I can’t do this because I don’t know how.” So, if you teach this robot just the things that it can’t do, it incorporates those things as new knowledge, and it can solve the problem overall, by including that knowledge.”

The robot’s sensory information will comprise of visual, auditory, and tactile data, and SOINN will also be able to obtain information from other sources such as the almighty Internet and tap into different robots’ experiences and knowledge so that it eventually ends up smarter than ever before. Scary, huh, they might just solve problems such as world hunger and poverty eventually instead of bickering around like how politicians do.

Self-thinking robot can learn by itself via AI

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Or this....

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Yeah, I remember that thread.

They are thinking of ways, to self sustain these mechanical beasts. I hope they have a good kill switch in place.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
For some reason and especially for bi-pedal systems they are developing..I can't help but recall this. Not all the flashy, sexy and downright exciting stuff from the movies. Just this last sequence. Even injured and half destroyed, the damn thing is almost impossible to kill and never EVER stops.

I can't help but think...eventually when they have combat models..this will be a design and production goal in terms of basic survivability. What made a groundbreaking new movie to scare people for it's time will have been prescient.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

One giant step for man, one long set of codes for our replacements...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

One giant step for man, one long set of codes for our replacements...

Next stop, literal Armchair warriors?

Drones are just the beginning. We will see the evolution of future warfare in our life times. I just pray we maintain control

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

At the rate they're going we'll see this come to fruition before we are all pushing daisies

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

would that not be against the geneva convention?the desecration of the dead and whatnot?

come to think of it what happens when something with an AI commits a war crime....smash the droid?wipe its memory?or try the programmer? some interesting questions are gonna be asked once this kinda thing becomes common
oh and nice thread as usual slayer

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hey, look at it this way in terms of true Armchair warriors. Eventually, maybe we get to the point a Star Trek Episode had shown...and I can't for the life of me recall if it was TNG or Original.

Anyway, the society they found was SO advanced in their war fighting, they didn't even fight anymore. The Computers war gamed it all out and every so often, a list of casualties would be produced and those citizens on each side would go get turned into casualties by choice. As I recall vaguely here...it was to keep the fighting from starting for real.

Ahh.. yes... High tech taken beyond a society's moral level to guide it. It's always a sight to see, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Now that's a legitimate question.
But, if it get's as bad as WW-I with bodies littering the battlefield and with modern weapons theoretically it would be even worse then there would be plenty of "fuel" out there in an all out conflict....

Let's just hope there isn't some sort of glitch where it's starts seeing all humans as fuel....

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Wow they really are making progress. That thing navigated much better than I thought it was going to. I've sen quite a few people that would have more trouble. How do they control it? Is there a different mechanism for each leg arm torso etc? Creeps me out but I want one.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

Awesome.

Hopefully a MOD will not ding you for the short post but, it does show the progression of development they are making and in which direction it is headed.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I am shocked at the lack of response to this info and it's potential ramification of whats coming down the pike both for the civilians and on the battlefield.

Somebody, wake em up!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Awesome.

Hopefully a MOD will not ding you for the short post but, it does show the progression of development they are making and in which direction it is headed.

reply to post by Domo1

I am shocked at the lack of response to this info and it's potential ramification of whats coming down the pike both for the civilians and on the battlefield.

Somebody, wake em up!

You misunderstood. I posted those links to show you the stages of this project and that they have been spoken about here on ATS for the past year, nearly. It's not that people don't have any interest, they do, just do a search for "petman" here on ATS... tons of threads on it, it's just that they've already heard about it. =)

As seen with the Avatar link I provided above, it shows "how" these robots will be used too, some even interfaced directly to another soldiers brain in specific situations.
edit on 27-10-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Thank you I've been here a few years myself and have read them all

Interest peaks when there is a related breaking story but when development happens and the field is quiet it get's ignored is what I've noticed.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Yeah, that's true. I'm a little put off by some of the biological research projects, though. The whole thing going on with the Slc7a11 gene being tampered with so as to make a person with a skin capable of active camo. (I'll be surprised if you find that anywhere on the 'net at this point. we don't talk about things like that openly in the states)

There's been a lot of talk of the laser systems on these threads lately, too. Something I still have yet to see here on ATS is anybody talking about the "future war" reasoning behind it (tells me a lot about what some people claim to know here on the forums, though). Apparently, some 20-50 years from now, our enemies 'may' be capable of faster reaction times (be it human genetic change/bot/whatever.. it was only in the sales pitch) than our typical guns might be able to spit out at bullet at. That's crazy to think about to me, personally. Shooting at something and having it already next to me. What would that mean, that blade combat is actually the combat form of the future? Pssh. Maybe the whole "light saber" thing isn't so crazy after all.

Anyways..I don't know. It was a tangent. The current threat was missiles, so yeah.

As for your robot thing. Your video said it all. No loss of life, repairable, and able to be mass produced. Makes those who suffer family loss from future collateral damage seem to me as looking at war in the future as "impersonal."

I personally do NOT see a WW3 occurring. Not with what's happening politically. A bunch of coalitions are being formed. Even the U.N. changed it's motto recently. I've no idea how it'll work but the rumor was simply that. They then announce "peace" to the world, to stop some global collapse of some sort (money markets?) Then, blah blah..

ROFL.. d*mn. Now, I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist.

I like these lurking on these boards to see what people know/assume. I pick up ideas here too, but the charm is wearing off. I've discovered that even when a truth is shared, be it myself or someone else doing it, it's often disregarded so there's not much point anyway. Funny enough, this is the only place where it's allowed for now because of this. I say for now because as you've probably seen, our president has promised to "end all conspiracies." Along with the latest "doom preppers are now considered terrorists" by the government thing... and people still don't get it. This includes sites like these. A conspiracy itself is something that creates a "doom" scenario. These have all been promised to end up being stamped out. Anything against big brother is just that, against big brother, and thus terrorism.

Meh, so I chuckle for now. It's pretty entertaining but yeah, it's not going to be around forever. That's not doom, I'm saying, it's the warning already publicized multiple times here in the US. ah well, take it or leave it. I'm just rambling. No one pays much attention anyways...

edit on 27-10-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join