It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Cross! - Lithuania’s Haunting Hill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'll dive straight in... I was reading an article on Lithuania’s Haunting Hill of Crosses, I thought I would share, take a look -

Amid lush green hills in the Lithuanian countryside, just outside the city of Šiauliai, a strange sight greets visitors: tens of thousands of crosses, big and small, made out of metal, wood or granite are piled on top of each other. While their purpose is at first unclear, as visitors move along the crosses that snake uphill, their function is sadly unveiled.

It almost looks like a film set, and does look haunting, it all becomes a little clearer when you realise what this place is.

The year 1831 was an important one for Lithuania as it marked the end of the November Uprising (1830-31), during which partitioned Poland sought independence from the Russian Empire. The neighboring states of Western Belarus, parts of Ukraine and Lithuania (also belonging to the Russian Empire) soon joined the uprising. Despite this support, the insurgents only had about one third of the strength of the Russian Army, and soon the uprising was crushed resulting in the loss of some 40,000 men.

Although not known for sure, it's believed from 1831 people began to leave crosses on the site of an old fort, to commemorate and remember those killed fighting for the independence of Lithuania. It's continued to grow ever since.

The number of crosses left at the site has grown significantly in recent years. They roughly doubled between 1990 and 2006, growing from around 55,000 to over 100,000.

I find this place haunting, yes, but also beautiful in some way, I guess for what it represents.

A more detailed explanation and the source of all this information can be found here - www.environmentalgraffiti.com...’s-creepy-hill-crosses?image=0

Enjoy....

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this and what a fitting time of year I will share this pictures and story
with my friends they will get a huge kick out of it .... I don't think I will sleep well tonight tho....
just doesn't sit right in my mind...

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

That is a beautiful and eerie sight. Thanks for posting.

On a more sarcastic and negative note, that is how our damn highways are going to end up looking if we don't curb this habit of putting a little memorial up at the site of every crash. There are 3 little cross memorials at the end of my neighborhood road. One for each of 3 fatal car crashes that have occurred over the last couple of years, but personally I don't want to see them everytime I come and go from my house. As I drive to work, I pass another dozen or so. Our highway system is going to look like that hill in Lithuania. Perhaps we should share that story with our code enforcement and see if they'll curb the habit before it gets out of control?

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
wow! that is incredible!!!
i have an odd hobby. i collect crucifixes!
no i'm not christian.(or any other 'mainstream' believer)
at first sight of this place i was awe struck!
after i read the history of the place,i was moved.
i still think the photos are amazing,and i'd love to visit,but my humanity is put in check
knowing why this place exists.
thank you.
peace,please!

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
No problem, I was looking for something completely different but Halloween related and came across this instead, which turned out to be more interesting than the thing I was originally looking for.

Of course the credit must go to the original source, I was just passing on the message so to speak.

reficul - l can see why someone would collect crucifixes now

edit on 26-10-2012 by RiverRunsFree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Cool, that place does look kind of spooky.

It reminds me of when people leave large amounts of flowers at the locations of tragedies, like Princess Diana.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It would look better if they did it like Arlington, even though i am christian this looks like a wasted mess. At first glance it appeared to be a graveyard for crucifixes.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

To me this is symbolic of how many times Our Lord was crucified!

He wasn't just crucified and sacrificed for a small group of people or a specific age,

He is the Messiah, the Saviour of ALL Flesh, ANY flesh who will believe on Him!

He is Our Lord and the Only Begotten Dearly Beloved Son of the One True God, the Father, the Creator and Maker and Master of Heaven and Earth, the Universe, and all things underneath, above, in between, inside and outside this plane!

God bless!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Oh reficul,

How long will you muddle through the waters unguided?

When wilt thou submit and come to thy Maker and Saviour?

Blessings,

In the Most Holy Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,

Amen

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by godlover25
To me this is symbolic of how many times Our Lord was crucified!

That's a good analogy, like it.

Very clever

top topics

join