It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Halloween ATS : 25 Creepiest Places On Earth!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS most Haunted House / Thread !

Never attempt to go visit those following places
to respect the dead and their wandering spirits
because if you go at these places .. they will think you dont respect them
so they will maybe not respect you !

Enter this thread at your own risks
you have nothing to fear but much to learn !

Creepiness can be hard to define. Although the dictionary definition would be something along the lines of “annoyingly unpleasant” if you ask a hundred people you’ll most likely get a hundred different explanations. Keeping that in mind get ready to embark on a journey to some of the more spine tingling (or annoyingly unpleasant) corners of the globe. These are the 25 creepiest places on Earth.

25 Creepiest Places On Earth

If you have other creepy places to add to the list / thread
i welcome you to do so

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting the Tour - Top 25 to 21

25 - Actun Tunichil Muknal

Also known as the Cave of the Stone Sepulcher, it’s like something straight out of Indiana Jones. Housing numerous skeletons, the creepiest thing about this place is that most of them belong to children…sacrificed children to be more precise. Most likely many years ago there was a drought and these unfortunate youngsters were the ones chosen to have their skulls crushed

24 - Takakonuma Greenland Park

After opening in the 70s this theme park was abruptly closed down supposedly due to a number of deaths on its rides and what was once intended to be the happiest place on Earth is now gradually being swallowed by the encroaching wilderness. The close proximity to Fukushima (where the nuclear reactor melted down) and the ever present fog make this one of the top contenders for the next big zombie outbreak.

23 - The Overtoun Bridge

Found near the village of Milton in Scotland, this bridge is the location of numerous suicides – over 600 to be exact. Every year since its construction roughly 12 to 15 dogs launch themselves to their deaths…that’s right…dogs. Why? Well although there are numerous theories but no one really knows. One thing is for sure though – the dogs are hell bent on leaving this planet behind as some people have even witnessed dogs jump off, survive, climb back up, and jump off again.

22 - Beelitz Military Hospital

It was the year 1916 when a young German soldier was sent to this Berlin Hospital in order to recuperate from injuries sustained in World War I. Later to become the infamous Adolf Hitler, the hospital where he recovered was to suffer nary a scratch over the course of the next century. These days its abandoned halls stand as a tribute to some of the darkest days in human history

21 - The Sedlec Ossuary

Ever since soil from the Holy Land was sprinkled over this small town in the Czech Republic people from all over the world have claimed Sedlec as their final resting place. After hundreds of years though, the number of bones on this relatively small property began to get a bit out of control and the priests realized they had to do something. Their chosen course of action? Redecorate…using bones. If you go today you’ll be greeted by an entire church built from seemingly nothing but human bones

Continuing Below ..
edit on 10/25/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/25/2012 by kosmicjack because: fixed all caps

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Top 20 to 11

20 - Prypiat

Once home to over 50,000 people this Ukrainian city housed the the workers of the Chernobyl nuclear plant until its 1986 meltdown. Given that the city is in what has come to be known as the Zone of Alienation, or the 30 km radius surrounding Chernobyl, it is quite literally dead. These days, however, the government has started allowing tourists due to decreased radiation levels

19 - Staten Island Tugboat Graveyard

Just north of Rossville on Staten Island, New York, you’ll find the final resting place of hundreds of tugboats, ferries, and barges, most of which are century old remnants of a time when New York Harbor was still alive and kicking

18 - San Zhi Resort

Found in Taiwan, this place was originally constructed to be a luxury resort but after a series of fatal accidents it was shut down by the government. Since then it has been shrouded in secrecy and not even the locals will dare to venture near the “death pods”.

17 - Ryugyung Hotel

As one of the 20th century’s greatest architectural failures this hotel was only partially finished due to the barely surprising fact that the North Korean government ran out of money. At any rate, a huge abandoned North Korean hotel will certainly find room on this list

16 - Sighisoara

This medieval citadel located deep within Transylvania is best known as the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler, the real life inspiratin behind Count Dracula

15 - Ghost City of Fengdu

This 2,000 year old ghost town is something like hell on earth, at least the Chinese version. Believed by locals to be the spot where spirits “crossover” after death, the place is chock full of burial sites and mock torture devices

14 - Winchester Mystery House

It’s a strange tale but it starts with Sarah Winchester, the heiress to the Winchester fortune. After the death of her husband and daughter in the late 1800s she consulted with a medium claiming that she was being haunted by the spirits of all those who had ever been killed by a Winchester rifle. The medium told her that the only way to free herself was to start building house…and never stop. Surely enough until the day she died the Winchester Mystery House was under construction and it should come as no surprise that visitors today are likely to get lost within its deliberately winding and confusing interior

13 - Ruins of Detroit

Detroit is a land of contrast. Although it has a bustling downtown area, many parts of the city are little more than memorials to a time long gone. With large industrial structures crumbling throughout, it is the face of urban decay

12 - City Hall Subway Station

Resting deep beneath the busy streets of New York City lies a subway station that no train has stopped at in almost 70 years, except for one public expedition on the stations 100 year anniversary

11 - Matsuo Ghost Mine

Located in northern Japan, this was once the largest sulfur mine in the Far East. After closing in the 70′s however, it was abandoned and the only thing remaining are the large residential complexes that used to house all of the workers. What makes this place so creepy though is the heavy mist that constantly shrouds the area. It’s so heavy in fact that some people have reported taking days to find the place.

Continuing below ..

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Top 10 to 1

10 - British Sea Forts

Constructed by the British Royal Navy during the Second World War as an advance line of defense these forts now sit abandoned a few feet above the waves of the North Sea

9 - Isla de las Munecas

Found deep in the swamp of former Aztec country is what has come to be known as the Island of the Dolls. Although it is now abandoned at one time it had a single inhabitant. His name was Don Julian Santana Barrera and according to legend, one day a young girl drowned just off shore (don’t ask us how she got there). At any rate, not long after this, Don Julian found her doll floating in the water. Then he found another, and another. Supposedly as tribute he decorated the entire island with the dolls before mysteriously drowning in the very same canal as the little girl.

8 - Prague’s Old Jewish Cemetery

Normally 1 overcrowded cemetery is enough to be considered creepy. The Old Jewish Cemetery in Prague, however, takes things to a whole new level considering that it is actually 11 cemeteries stacked on top of each other! That’s right, the cemetery got so full that not once, not twice, but 11 times they actually decided to just build another cemetery right on top of the old on

7 - Varosha

As a result of Turkish intervention on the island of Cyprus, several areas are no longer accessible to modern Cypriots. For this reason entire seaside resorts like Varosha sit completly empty and abandoned

6 - Gunkanjima

Literally translated as Battleship Island due to its supposed resemblance to the massive vessel, like several other places on this list Gunkanjima used to be a mining facility, and just like those other places it shut down. Since then it has deteriorated even further and even been featured on the History Channel’s show Life After People

5 - Hellingly Hospital

If the name of this English hospital isn’t enough to convince you of its creepiness consider the fact that it’s not really a hospital at all. It’s actually an insane asylum, or rather it was an insane asylum before being abandoned several year ago

4 - Candido Godoi

This town in Southern Brazil holds an interesting distinction – it is the twin capital of the world. In fact, it’s twin birth rate is 18 times higher than the world average. Why? Well according to the locals it was after chief Nazi physician Mengele, who fled to the village after World War II, that the births started happening. Oddly enough Mengele was known to have a strange fascination with twins. Modern scientists, however, propose that it is most likely due to toxic waste or inbreeding. Either way, it’s pretty creepy

3 - Catacombs of Paris

Around the 17th and 18th centuries Paris’s cemeteries were getting so full that residue from decaying organic material was getting into the water supply and creating very unsanitary conditions. Hence the creation of the Paris Catacombs

2 - Bird Suicide Grounds of Jatinga

The small village of Jatinga in northern India seems like any other quiet, isolated village in the world except for one thing…every year around the months of September and October hundreds of birds dive to their deaths within its city limits. To make things even stranger the incidents only happen in the evening between 7pm and 10pm across a roughly mile long strip of land. The village has even taken steps to capitalize on the phenomenon by setting up “bird watching tours” around area.

1 - Aokigahara Forest

It’s not just the dense shrubbery that makes this place so creepy. It’s all the dead bodies. Located at the base of Mt Fiji, ever since the 1950s the Japanese have been committing suicided here in droves. In fact, its so bad that there are now signs scattered throughout the woods with sayings such as “life is precious” and “think of your family

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I watched an episode of Destination Truth where they went to the Island of Dolls. That was creepy, indeed.

Spoiler alert.........

On the episode, they were looking at a doll and Josh made a remark about "What if it opened its eyes?" Then the doll did open its eye. Coincidence? I don't know, but it freaked them (and me) out.

Sorry cant link the YouTube clip from my phone.

Awesome thread, S&F

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you
i hope everyone will enjoy it

first time i heard about this island of dolls was in the Tv serie "The River"

Is Hollywood trying to tell us something ? lol
only a few know that many old legends are very real

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Good stuff, great for a chilly cloudy morning.

When I was a teenager we used to explore the old Byberry sanitarium outside of Philadelphia. The place was super creepy. It consisted of about 17 buildings all connected by underground tunnels.

We would come across all kinds of weird stuff, and weird people. We always went in large groups of 10 or more people.
It got demolished a few years ago though.

Good times.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Bad @ thread! S &f. Of those places I think Chernobyl would scare the crud out of me. Thank you so much for sharing these!

Trick or treat!?!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Thank you so much OP, I love nice festive threads such as these. I simply love Halloween, not for what it represents in antiquity, but rather what it has become in modern times. Its a good time to get all your blood pumping as the weather gets colder. It brings people together and allows us to face or deepest fears. We humans do a great job of unintentionally creating things that turn out to be unique and full of spirit.

Anyways, S+F for this awesome post.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Last one before i go

26 - Riddle House (from Ghost Adventure)

1851, Douglas Gazette:

"Following the collapse of the Riddle House's bridge, many people were called over to the property to remove the debris. The examined flooring was said to be damaged beyond repair due to its immense termite damage. Contrary to rumors, the entire bridge did not collapse, the only thing that was damaged was the flooring. Plans for redoing the flooring on the bridge were presented to the owners of the house. However, when they were presented with the plans, they turned away and locked their doors, as if they didn't want to talk at all. We are arguing weather anyone was injured during the collapse, or even if anyone was on the bridge when the incident occurred. Although the floor was already worn, it would still have taken a large weight for it to collapse."

Take a trip back in time, sixty years earlier, to The Riddle House. It seemed like a normal house back then. As a matter of fact...it was.
If that's true, than why has the house changed? Voices echo at night, and shadows are seen. What could've happened?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I have reoccurring dreams where I live somewhere as EPIC as Winchester house..Want it!

The only thing I can fathom remotely creepy about Hellingly Asylum is the name. Old insane institutions used to be ten a penny, we used to lark about in a disused victorian one next to the town cemetary as teens. Most of them are closed permanently now though, even the huge one about 10 miles out got shut.
The other creepy thing is all those people that would have previously filled them are these days walking the streets....

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Destination Truth also went to Japans Suicide Forest. At one point in the investigation They decide to sit one person at a time in the circular clearing that's devoid of any trees. One of the guys is yanked up and back by his arm. They close upped and replayed it, I couldn't see any rigs but that's not to say it wasn't a set up. But it was creepy to see it. I linked the episode from youtube as it was the only one I found of season 2 episode 11. There's another investigation on the episode I believe the suicide forest was the first but could be wrong as I haven't seen it from it's originally airing. Have fun and happy holloween

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Double Posted-Sorry
edit on 25-10-2012 by finitydream because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

This one is pretty creepy and is right near me, I wanna go there but to cheap to pay to get in, though I think most peoples imagination go overboard.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

This one is pretty creepy and is right near me, I wanna go there but to cheap to pay to get in, though I think most peoples imagination go overboard.

That place should definately be on the list. I was surprised there were not more US locations on there.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by finitydream

Destination Truth also went to Japans Suicide Forest. At one point in the investigation They decide to sit one person at a time in the circular clearing that's devoid of any trees. One of the guys is yanked up and back by his arm. They close upped and replayed it, I couldn't see any rigs but that's not to say it wasn't a set up. But it was creepy to see it. I linked the episode from youtube as it was the only one I found of season 2 episode 11. There's another investigation on the episode I believe the suicide forest was the first but could be wrong as I haven't seen it from it's originally airing. Have fun and happy holloween

youtu.be...

I believe that episode was filmed in Romania called the Hoia-Baciu Forest.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Awesome thread by the way. I think out of all these on the list, Aokigahara Forest I could not do.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

Good call the circle was in the Romanian forest season 3 episode 301 - Thanks

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Does this Building apply !

From the thread by SOXMIS, A Curious Nazi Occult Tale.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Think Centralia needs including on this ere thread...

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It's somewhat disappointing to me to see WAVERLY HILLS constantly brought up as being one of the most "Haunted Places" in the the US, let alone the world. It's disappointing to me because I have to wonder about all the other places on the list....and I want to believe there are truely haunted locations. The meteoric rise of Waverly to cult status, has been dizzying. It now has it's own huge website and is actively promoted, it's HUGE, in fact people all over the world now have heard about it....

In my opinion, Waverly Hills is nothing more than an interesting building with with clever owners. Since 1992 myself and friends explored Waverly, both during the day and night. I'd say we have explored the building and grounds 30 or 40 times. The sanatorium sits high on a forested hill, the property adjoins a park, (Waverly Park) which has some nice mountainbike trails. While mountainbiking we noticed one of the trails led directly to the sanatorium. It sat, abandoned and decaying in an open clearing, so of course we rode in to check it out. If Waverly had security back in the 90's or even early 2000's we never encountered them. We regularly rode our bikes right into the building and through the halls, balconies and rooms. There was a LOT of glass so we had to be careful, but otherwise, it was good fun and quite interesting to see the old hospital. On several occassions while we were inside the building, we spotted teenagers walking up to the building. (the building had long been a hangout of teens who liked to spraypaint the walls, smoke pot, and explore). I climbed up inside the tower at the entrance and ( I kid you not) made woooo woooo ghost noises, straight out of scoobie doo style ghost sounds...and the kids ran like hell.

On night rides(with bike lights and headlamps) we'd often ride through the building in the absolute darkness/moonlight and yes, it was spooky simply because of the nature of the building, but never once did we see anything...not even in the "morgue" or "room 502" or the "body chute".

The owners had "reportedly" been trying to raise money to restore the building since the 1980's but apparently were having a hard time doing so because nothing was done to the building until the mid 2000's. The owners finally got wise and actively started trying to make money off the property. They opened a paintball range on the property. After opening the range rumors then began that there were "security guards" on the property. So, since we'd explored the building ad naseum we decided it just wasn't worth riding up there anymore. It was about this time that the owners ran into a perfect storm of $$$$$ potential. "Haunted!"

Haunted houses became big business in the mid to late 2000's ( especially in Louisville) and Waverly opened their doors to the public as a "Haunted Hospital" Also about this same time TV shows about the "paranormal" "TAPS" and "ghost adventures" etc really started to take off. So, after seeing the public interest in Waverly as a "Haunted Hospital" and also riding the new paranormal investigation craze, Waverly began offering local "ghost tours" for a fee. The fee $$$ has gone up and up exponentially as Waverly gained TV fame. The BONANZA came when MTV did an episode of scare tactics ( or some such program) and filmed at Waverly. I think the owners figured out they had a potential cash cow at this point, and likely began shopping the building to different programs, because two or three more "ghost adventures" type TV shows came to film at Waverly. From there, it has turned into a CARNIVAL!

The owners have placed concrete gargoyles on the roof to make the building look more menacing, they've hired tour guides and have talked up the various locations around the building, suicides, body chutes, childrens toys (balls) rolling around etc. It has taken off to such an extent that the money rolling in is paying for the restoration of the building, which has to be in the millions upon millions of dollars. I believe they're planning on opening it as a hotel fairly soon. Waverly is nothing more than a perfect storm of clever marketing, though I'm sure you'll find people who really feel they've seen ghosts or paranormal activity there...[
edit on 25-10-2012 by SilverWraith because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join