It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Bans Foreign Vessels from Waterways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

China Bans Foreign Vessels from Waterways

chinadigitaltimes.net

Overseas investors will also be barred from engaging in river shipping, including through the use of Chinese vessels, according to a statement posted on the government’s website yesterday. The ban, which comes into effect Jan. 1, doesn’t apply to vessels registered in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't know what percentage of American ships transit the domestic waterways inside China, and if this will have a dampening effect upon trade relations and GDP inside the U.S. and other countries, but it seems like a move to counter the offset in export losses China reported earlier this year.

Whatever the case may be the Chinese are securing their domestic waterways to ensure future contracts and rewards go to local operators.

chinadigitaltimes.net

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
sounds to me like they are wanting trade war.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

I don't know what percentage of American ships transit the domestic waterways inside China, and if this will have a dampening effect upon trade relations and GDP inside the U.S. and other countries, but it seems like a move to counter the offset in export losses China reported earlier this year.

Whatever the case may be the Chinese are securing their domestic waterways to ensure future contracts and rewards go to local operators.

So if the US did this it would be OK? Export loss? If they own the product on the ship, it is an export. Seems like China would like a trade war. Maybe we should drop UN Agenda 21 look out for ourselves. You know if the US would just do that no other country in the world would be close. Including the ME on oil. Then tell China to drill for oil of thier own shores instead of in sight of Florida where we can't.

chinadigitaltimes.net
edit on Wed Oct 24 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed tag

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Ther is a major canal that links northern china from the yellow river to southern china at the yangtze river. A lot of goods are shipped north and south along this waterway. Also the yangtze river acts like a major highway between chongqing, in the Sichaun province and shanghai. Along the way are major stops like Wuhan and Nanjing. So for transporting goods through out china the domestic waterways are crucial.

Hey at least they unlike the US actually take steps to protect the economy and jobs by making sure some of them go only to chinese citizens.

edit on 24-10-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
What seems to be happening here is this. China has two major shipping companies that control 80% of domestic shipping with the last 20% spread between small Chinese firms. The two large companies are losing money and are combining operations in domestic waters. Since they will not longer be competing they should be able stop losing money but, that would invite the chance of an outside shipper coming in because they would only have one main competitor. China seems to be taking a step to keep that from happening. So the effect is none on current shipping but, it does limit possible future attempts to expand into that buiness if some one wanted to.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Chinese merchant fleet officers are all reserve Chinese navy.

The Chinese have mapped ever port in the world encase they ever need the information during a war,

Sounds like they don't want there harbors and rivers mapped by other countries

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The Chinese merchant fleet officers are all reserve Chinese navy.

The Chinese have mapped ever port in the world encase they ever need the information during a war,

Sounds like they don't want there harbors and rivers mapped by other countries

Yea. Because Google Earth would never be used in place of a multimillion dollar voyage.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is pretty odd for the Chinese government to take a stance like this as it could seriously damage an entire industry for the sake of two shipping companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese government is building a new ship building facility on the Yangtze River and wants to limit foreign knowledge of any such project.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

What percentage of American ships? I can pretty much guarantee that number would be close to zero.

As an ex merchant navy navigation officer I can tell you that I never once saw a US flagged vessel operating outside of US waters.

The "merchant marine" as you guys call it is a ridiculously protected industry in the US. The seafarers are very heavily unionised and protected massively by American law. US officers are paid roughly double what officers from the UK (next highest wages) are paid on international vessels. Laws like the Jones act make operating a vessel in US Coastal waters very difficult without being US flagged and US flagged vessels must be crewed by US seafarers.

No other country in the world does this as far as I know.

I worked for Chevron for five years and the majority of their vessels aren't US flagged. The lightering vessels in California are required by the jones act to visit a non-US port every month. If you consider that trip represents approximately 4-5 million USD in costs and loss of earnings each year, yet is still a more economical option than flagging in the US, it's easy to see that the situation on your end is unusual.

In essence, to the guy who said the Chinese are starting a trade war, your lot have had similar policies since WW2. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant though.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesyleps
reply to post by Daedal

What percentage of American ships? I can pretty much guarantee that number would be close to zero.

As an ex merchant navy navigation officer I can tell you that I never once saw a US flagged vessel operating outside of US waters.

The "merchant marine" as you guys call it is a ridiculously protected industry in the US. The seafarers are very heavily unionised and protected massively by American law. US officers are paid roughly double what officers from the UK (next highest wages) are paid on international vessels. Laws like the Jones act make operating a vessel in US Coastal waters very difficult without being US flagged and US flagged vessels must be crewed by US seafarers.

No other country in the world does this as far as I know.

I worked for Chevron for five years and the majority of their vessels aren't US flagged. The lightering vessels in California are required by the jones act to visit a non-US port every month. If you consider that trip represents approximately 4-5 million USD in costs and loss of earnings each year, yet is still a more economical option than flagging in the US, it's easy to see that the situation on your end is unusual.

In essence, to the guy who said the Chinese are starting a trade war, your lot have had similar policies since WW2. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant though.

well,...i certainly wasn't ranting.

I am fully aware of our stupid trade practices. And count myself among the many who love my country, and hate the government that has had control of it since before I was born.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

This move also has a potential hidden application -

The South China Sea - China claims it in its entirety and has recently raised the status oif a group of islands to prefecture level. We all know how China likes to make it up as they go along so it would not surprise me if they use this move to further their claims.
edit on 24-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join