It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Network Splits With Actress Over Gluten-A question about workplace accommodation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this so move it if it's in the wrong place please.

Here is the article: www.alternet.org...

It’s not unusual for an actor to go off on a Twitter rant, to instigate a feud in 140 characters. Hell, it’s pretty much expected behavior. But “Blue Bloods” actress Jennifer Esposito’s recent feisty display of tweet rage is unique. First, it’s because she dared to break the first rule of show business and publicly engage in a dispute with her network, calling CBS “shameful” for placing her on an unpaid leave from the show. And second, because this may be the first recorded war over gluten.

Deadline reported on Saturday that the actress was taking a leave from her series , and quoted a CBS statement that “Jennifer has informed us that she is only available to work on a very limited part-time schedule. As a result, she’s unable to perform the demands of her role and we regretfully had to put her character on a leave of absence. She is a wonderfully talented actress and we hope that she will be able to return at some point in the future.”

Esposito immediately shot back in a series of tweets , “CBS put me on unpaid leave and has blocked me from working anywhere else after my doctor said you needed a reduced schedule due to celiac. CBS didn’t listen to my doc and I collapsed on set. Which everyone saw! After a week off my doc said I could return to work but CBS implied that I was NOT truly ill and this was a scheme to get a raise! It’s been almost two months without bringing me back to work + keeping Me from working anywhere else!… Absolutely shameful behavior.”

I take issue with the title because Celaic disease is very much a real malady BUT, let's discuss what this woman is proclaiming. Firstly, I think something else is at the heart of this. Entertainment is a cuthroat business and she's 39 years old. It's likely they were wanting to replace her anyway. Rumor was this woman was holding up shoots because of this condition. When does an employer have the right to let you go for this? I would personally walk away if I was holding up the shooting that long. At some point the show has to be made as the episodes have been bought already. Someone has paid for this and it needs to get done. Did she actually think CBS was going to let her do that forever? They do have deadlines to meet, the show has to be in the can before the next season. and that starts in three months.

So, When does an employer get the right to say "Hey, I can't accommodate that"?

Now, I noticed a statistic in here I found rather fascinating

A 2009 New York Times story confirmed that celiac disease is on the rise, with diagnoses quadrupling in recent years.

Celaic rarely presents itself alone so I have to wonder what exactly is going on here. Some of it might be the whole Paleo craze, but there might be something else at play.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don't buy it...or her. I have celiac, or leaky gut, and it's very controllable through diet. The article goes on to say what symptoms she has...blah, blah, blah. She must be cheating on her gluten free diet. Being a lover of wheat, I only have these types of symptoms when I cheat.

She obviously to me, has other issues.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
yeah, My company fired me after I had a stroke.

Wasn't tenured enough to get a long enough leave to accommodate recovery, Sad but it can happen to anyone, she just lucky enough to have a forum to vent and get public opinion on her side, is it right no, is it legal.

Most likely.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess the big difference here is you couldn't control having a stroke but she can control her condition through her diet. I guess that's why I am just not buying this woman's claims.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Celiac disease is real but if she's passing out on set there's more going on and it sounds like maybe she's not taking care of herself.
Honestly celebs personal lives hold no interest to me so I can't back this up but there must be other actors and actresses with busy schedules who suffer from this and manage just fine.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RottenBeauty

Well, it's not really about her personal life per say, it just happens to be coming up because she put this fight out there. I'm really just asking the general ATS public when they feel it's ok for an employer to fire someone with a medical condition.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

My personal opinion is that an employer, under no condition, should be required to retain you based on the fact that you have a medical condition. If you come down with a syndrom and or disease that disrupts the workflow of the business, they should be allowed to let you go.

Get a job where you won't effect the business and other workers.

Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by antonia

My personal opinion is that an employer, under no condition, should be required to retain you based on the fact that you have a medical condition. If you come down with a syndrom and or disease that disrupts the workflow of the business, they should be allowed to let you go.

Get a job where you won't effect the business and other workers.

Just my opinion.

I agree. If medical issues keep you from doing your job, then you should be let go.

Heck, when i worked overseas one employer would let you go if you couldn't work for 7 days due to illness or an injury that didn't occur on the job. You were just given a plane ticket and handshake and sent home.

An "at will" employer can let you go for almost any reason they see fit.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Celaic rarely presents itself alone so I have to wonder what exactly is going on here.

That was my first thought as well. Celaic alone wouldn't cause her not to be able to work. If she can't do the job, then she's probably got another autoimmune kicking in as well. They travel in pods. She needs to be tested for Lupus and Sjogrens, etc etc. If she has those others (which I suspect she could), then I'm not surprised that she can't work. I'd totally understand it ...

top topics

join