It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prospering in the Collapse?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I was talking to a couple of people about this the other day and wondered if anyone else had some advice on how to prosper during the collapse.

I think this is likely different depending on what kind of job you have and obviously if a world-wide disaster strikes this is all out the window.

I started with a concept that:

(a) The economic collapse of the United States cannot be reversed. That Romney works for the same people that Obama works for and would renew and support the same policies of the Federal Reserve. That the economy is intrinsically tied to the action of the Federal Reserve.

(b) That the value of the USD will continue declining due to the QE policy of the Federal Reserve. That foreign holders of US debt will continue searching for alternatives to US investment leading to the eventual loss of the "petro"-dollar which our standard of living is based off of.

(c) That the loss of the petro-dollar will accelerate the job losses across the United States as the cost of petroleum based products rise.

(d) That the government will accelerate entitlement programs to keep the increasing number of people leaving unemployement for the 'out of work' rolls from turning against them.

(e) That the government will start introducing service for free-debt programs to eliminate the debt holdings of Americans in return for their 'fair share' of work. In other words slave-laborers for banks.

(f) That as the economic collapse starts banks will continue their wave of foreclosures across the country in anticipation of government interference.

(g) That banks will stop lending and providing paths for property ownership due to the perceived inability of Americans to honor their contracts and government interference.

What I take that to mean is:

(a) if I sell my home now and the collapse happens before I buy a new home then I could find myself unable to purchase property at all as home prices increase to match inflation.

(b) if I buy a second home and the collapse happens then I need enough collateral to survive until hyper-inflation kicks in. If I can keep my job then I will receive a massive pay increase to keep up with inflation and I'll be able to pay off both homes within a couple of years.

So, in this scenario - those in greater debt that can survive the initial impact of the collapse will be able to walk out of it richer than they entered. Those without any debt will keep what they have.

This seems to me a desirable end goal for the people in control which maybe gives credence to it. Those who have existing wealth get to keep it so long as they stay out of the market. The existing wealth keeps them liquid through the initial impact prior to inflation kicking in which seems to take 6-12 months before salaries start adjusting.

Those in debt with jobs which are impacted by the petro-collapse will lose those jobs and be beholden to the banks. The banks will take their property, hold on to it until inflation kicks in, pump up the price and resell it in the new market. The government will benefit from their misery in the form of slave labor.

Those in debt with good jobs can only survive if they can hold on long enough until hyper inflation kicks in and they get their raises but they could come out of it debt-free and wealthier.

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I would say learn to be self sufficient, grow most to all your food, and sell excess, metal detect if you have one, salvage for scrap metal, save cans, only use what you need, from gas to electric,

Just a few that I'm doing

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
buy a farm and move out of the city now, grow food, cattle, chickens. drill wells and have solar power and hydro power. buy guns and ammo. Its all going to collapse so who cares if your homes are payed for. Are you going to be able to defend them both from looters?

We own lots of farm land and we are selling the ones we dont need and all we have are preppers buying them up and getting ready for the collapse.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
I would say learn to be self sufficient, grow most to all your food, and sell excess, metal detect if you have one, salvage for scrap metal, save cans, only use what you need, from gas to electric,

Just a few that I'm doing

I am starting to wonder though if this is the trap. That people are being pushed this direction - basically to live as a 3rd world communist peasant. I agree some people may not be in a position to do anything other than this but I have a feeling that the wealthy insiders are going to take advantage of all of this and come out as Dukes and Princes of the new world order owning most of our land.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
We own lots of farm land and we are selling the ones we dont need and all we have are preppers buying them up and getting ready for the collapse.

You are in CA - too far for me. I agree. The question is though - if you cannot buy the land outright what is the impact of having a loan and could having a loan for the land (if you can survive the initial collapse) a good thing or a bad thing?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
On a small town local basis I can give you a hint. The people who grew food and helped others when they could by giving them food for work during the great depression became pillars of the local society when the depression ended. Their kids got good jobs in the community. I expect a similar situation to happen after this collapse with society rewarding the families of these people and their families. People have changed but a little humilliation will reinstall this trend. I personally will share my knowledge with others without worrying about profiting if something happens. I will not be intimidated to give away my food, anyone trying intimidation better not come around.

join