It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On "Earning Respect"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

This is not true. We eat animals. Respect is accepting what is- as it is.

Would you eat a loved Pet if you had no food?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

If I was on a deserted island with no other food in sight and no possibility of food, I would kill my mom and eat her.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

If I was on a deserted island with no other food in sight and no possibility of food, I would kill my mom and eat her.

Ok if we ever get stuck on a deserted island togther i better quickely build an escape boat from bamboos and grass..ill see you sharpneing the knife and forks

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I've always been of the attitude that I respect everything, until it gives me a reason not to.
It is not earned, it is given and then taken away.

IMO
edit on 23-10-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

I wholeheartedly agree.

Every human being deserves respect until that respect is deservedly lost. Respect is so often misplaced and for the wrong reasons.

Originally posted by smithjustinb

What a repugnant statement. I hope that was a joke.
edit on 24-10-2012 by dodgygeeza because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I've always been of the attitude that I respect everything, until it gives me a reason not to.
It is not earned, it is given and then taken away.

IMO
edit on 23-10-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

I wholeheartedly agree.

Every human being deserves respect until that respect is deservedly lost. Respect is so often misplaced and for the wrong reasons.

But this still requires others to conform to your private ideal. There's no way anyone can be how you want them to be. For me, a respect worthy action is respect.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

respect is this.....Respect that the wind blows for the whole and no one individual. Respect the will of the wind.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

For someone to have to earn your respect to receive it requires them to conform to your ideal of what is respectable.
We like respect so much because it makes us feel good.

That's a rather *blankity blank* concept that you cannot respect somebody unless they conform to your OWN ideals. Where in the heck did that come from? We can and do respect people who do NOT conform to our ideas as well.

Respecting somebody "feels good?" Uhhhh, it doesn't make me feel good or bad. Perhaps your definition of "respect" is not the actual definition of respect. Respect

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

"Repugnant" is subjective. Would you eat your boyfriend/girlfriend after having sex with them? No, it would be despicable, right? WRONG. The black widow spider does exactly this. Is she evil? Maybe to you. But your opinions aren't absolute are they? They are very human, but not absolute.

Yeah, I'd eat my mom. Is that bad? If you think so, prove it.

Respect is because not everyone sees things the way you do. And not everyone is the way you are.

Your mind may tell you no. But your body. Your body. Will tell you yeaaaah.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by eletheia

Hmm, I'm stumbling on the word 'achievement'. I'm thinking then would you not respect someone who might seem mentally challenged to most? To me it's important to try to acknowledge with our attitude and behavior where that person is at, without judgement, and with a certain appreciation.

ETA. Change that. It's the admiration part I'm stumbling on. Could you consider that it might be 'recognition' instead?
edit on 24-10-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

Dictionary defination not mine

admiration? recognition? no matter
Not everyone can be an olympic winner or excel

BUT 'achievements' according to relative abilities...is something to be 'admired'

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

For someone to have to earn your respect to receive it requires them to conform to your ideal of what is respectable.
We like respect so much because it makes us feel good.

That's a rather *blankity blank* concept that you cannot respect somebody unless they conform to your OWN ideals. Where in the heck did that come from? We can and do respect people who do NOT conform to our ideas as well.

That's what I said. Read it again.

Respecting somebody "feels good?" Uhhhh, it doesn't make me feel good or bad. Perhaps your definition of "respect" is not the actual definition of respect. Respect

Makes me feel great.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It depends on what angle you are looking at it. Lacking a University degree would in some circles entitle you to no respect and not being able to handle your drink would in other circles open you up to ridicule. However I'm looking at from a moral perspective.

Now I know you'll say that it depends on what you deem as morally unacceptable behaviour and with that I'll say that respect would depend in what culture you are currently living in.

I try to remain as neutral as possible in that if you live your life without respect for others then you do not deserve it either.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Respect is careful focus of power. A person who yeilds great personal power like a shaman has to be an artiscan in the movement if power to enact an object. Respect is the correct balance of power applied. A shamans definition is different to the oridnary mans definition in a dictonary.

A shaman doesnt care about arguing over defintions...only interested in see and moving energy efficiently.
edit on 24-10-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

You defined "unconditional acceptance". That's not the same thing as "respect". And yes, unconditional acceptance CAN make one feel good but does NOT require the recipients to conform to our ideals.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

You defined "unconditional acceptance". That's not the same thing as "respect". And yes, unconditional acceptance CAN make one feel good but does NOT require the recipients to conform to our ideals.

What I said in my OP was, "the idea of having to EARN respect requires that the person earning respect has to conform to your ideal of what is to be respected." The flaw of this idea is that everyone's definition of what is respectable is subjective. Therefore, respect should not have to be earned, but freely given. That way, no one is conforming to anything.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

"Repugnant" is subjective. Would you eat your boyfriend/girlfriend after having sex with them? No, it would be despicable, right? WRONG. The black widow spider does exactly this. Is she evil? Maybe to you. But your opinions aren't absolute are they? They are very human, but not absolute.

Yeah, I'd eat my mom. Is that bad? If you think so, prove it.

Respect is because not everyone sees things the way you do. And not everyone is the way you are.

Your mind may tell you no. But your body. Your body. Will tell you yeaaaah.

Forget for a second about what I would think about whether or not that is an evil act and deserving of my condemnation. After committing such an act wouldn't you feel remorse for having done such a thing? If you did then how do you think anyone in the world with sound mind witnessing it would judge you? I bet you they'd judge you just as bad as you'd judge yourself. Evil is by definition based off a group consensus of what is morally deemed as morally "wrong".

Though, if you lack the innate ability to empathise with your fellow human being due to your distorted notions of right and wrong then it would be like explaining the colours to a blind man.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

maya...illusion........respect is the subjective forms behind the smoke.

ill eat a pussy cat.....meoh..

seriously......respect is shrinking the ego enough to be able listen to the world breathing.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I dont know, maybe this is more a problem when one is a pretty female......

was that vanity

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Ok. Now heres a definition that you and i can agree on. You win i obey all your orders. Anything you say goes.
Now thats respect.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

I dont know, maybe this is more a problem when one is a pretty female......

was that vanity

Maybe... but it hit me that as a mother, I taught my daughter that it is best to not be completely receptive and "open" to everyone- that tends to excite men. It tends to give them the wrong idea.

I think it is great of a bunch of guys, with a tendancy to be self centered, want to encourage each other to take the risk of opening to others more often. But in general, I find females often have to learn the opposite- how to shut the door and put up limits, and not lose their sense of self faced with others.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Your right Bluesma. There has to be balance with the open and close of doors, and mabey there in lies practical meaning of respect for eachother.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join