It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A whale with a distinctly human-like voice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kisharninmah

I am female and I am hardly ignorant of this subject. I do not have to defend my viewpoint on this or anything else to you or your small-mindedness. Understand this: Human morality is restricted only to humans. You cannot look around at other lifeforms and judge them. Indeed and very much likewise you really shouldn't judge anyone else. You sit there thinking you have a better understanding and higher comprehension of life on Earth, you alone embody and espouse some greater compassion. Please, you flatter yourself beyond all reason. You know nothing of compassion or understanding. You know judgment.

I don't mind being judged by you. I know very clearly what I feel and why. My thoughts are my own. Yours are given to you by your church, your society, and your television. Congratulations, sheep.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My cat talks, really.. it says 'out' when it wants me to open the screen door and let it out. Probably one out of two times, it's pretty clear sounding. I havn't taught it to say this, it just seemed to pick it up. He seems quite smart in other ways too, a whizz at getting his way or the attention he feels he deserves.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

I am female and I am hardly ignorant of this subject. I do not have to defend my viewpoint on this or anything else to you or your small-mindedness. Understand this: Human morality is restricted only to humans.

First of all, other animals are NOT always okay with rape. Very often, the female of a species would not just let any male copulate with her; she may react negatively to unwanted sexual advances by a male.

My question for you would be this:
Why would you think think it would be OK for a female to be sexually violated against her will? Whether the female negative reaction to unwanted sexual advances is emotionally motivated (common in humans) or biologically motivated, the fact remains that not all female animals are OK with being "raped".

In the wild, a female is very selective about who she would mate with. This selectiveness helps ensures that her offspring have a good set of genes which may help them survive to have offspring of their own. In the wild, a female animal would not willingly allow just any male to "rape" her and possible impregnate her -- and possibly passing along undesirable genetic material.

In humans, the selectiveness of females when looking for a mate may have started of this way -- i.e., only allowing males with desirable genetic features to mate with her -- and NOT allowing a genetically less-desirable male mate with her. However, over the eons, that selectiveness has also gained an emotional aspect. Females are now also looking to mate with males who also have an emotional desirability (although female humans can be animalistic, and willfully mate with a male based solely on physically-visible genetic desirability).

So a female animal being very selective about mating (and not allowing herself to be "raped" by just any male) is something that helps a species remain genetically strong.

edit on 10/23/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

How much do you really know and genuinely observe of the animal kingdom? I don't sit around passively watching tv documentaries. I haven't watched tv in years. I observe. I know because I see it with my own eyes. I do not, however, anthropomorphize other species of life on this planet. They live in their own ways and I respect that immensely.

I am also not condoning anything here. I am stating that Nature is what she is and we cannot stand in judgment of her or *any* of her ways. Do your very utmost to understand that. It's just not that difficult to comprehend. Clear your mind of its clutter and consider your attitudes anew.

This is the last time I will state this as it's now becoming more of an annoyance to me than it's worth and is not in any case the topic of the thread. You'll just have to get over it from here on out.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

God that would drive me nuts! It sounds like a sound my 12 year old daughter makes to annoy me. -.-
But it's not the whale's fault, I'm guessing this is a bridge that has to be crossed until their vocal chords develop enough to formulate words?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

So, in your observations, can you tell that the female does not care about the genetic make-up of a possible mate?

Is the female helpless, and simply allows any and every male that wants to mate with her to do so? Or is the female selective in choosing a mate, based on physically desirable traits that may indicate genetic desirability?

edit on 10/23/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
They're plenty evolved to communicate with us...at least dolphins, and probably whales...it's not about evolution, it's just about making the effort to facilitate communication

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
eh
edit on 23-10-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I am female and I am hardly ignorant of this subject. I do not have to defend my viewpoint on this or anything else to you or your small-mindedness. Understand this: Human morality is restricted only to humans. You cannot look around at other lifeforms and judge them. Indeed and very much likewise you really shouldn't judge anyone else. You sit there thinking you have a better understanding and higher comprehension of life on Earth, you alone embody and espouse some greater compassion. Please, you flatter yourself beyond all reason. You know nothing of compassion or understanding. You know judgment.

I don't mind being judged by you. I know very clearly what I feel and why. My thoughts are my own. Yours are given to you by your church, your society, and your television. Congratulations, sheep.

Sometimes women are worse than men when it comes to the reality of rape, putting the blame on the victim, etc. So telling me your a woman doesn't mean sh*t and doesn't make you more knowledgeable or compassionate.

Clearly it does bother you to think you have been judged or you wouldn't have gotten offended. AND how can you even defend what you said?

How does knowing how horrific rape is being a sheep? Church? What the hell are you talking about? Assumption just makes you look even more stupid. I don't need to make assumptions about you because your comment and reply sums up your character nicely.

To be clear, here is what you said:

reply to post by ubeenhad Whales, koalas, ducks, monkeys, and probably a whole lot of others that we just maybe don't know about yet all engage in rape. We humans find is horrifying. It seems that the rest of the animal kingdom doesn't have such an emotional hang up about it as we humans do.

How can you not see what is wrong with this? You cannot justify this in anyway so don't even try.

I don't need a church, society, or television to define my moral code but maybe you do. Rape is a horrific and violent crime.
edit on 23-10-2012 by kisharninmah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
dbl post

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
wow you two...talk about derailing a thread. This thread was about a beluga whale trying to imitate human speech. I suggest you stop the debate about rape or move to another thread.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That sound like my mother when she speak on the phone

very interesting !

thanks for sharing SNF

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by avocadoshag
wow you two...talk about derailing a thread. This thread was about a beluga whale trying to imitate human speech. I suggest you stop the debate about rape or move to another thread.

You're right. I did and do apologize to the op. It just wasn't right what was said, and it was one of those things where I had to say so. I won't respond anymore to that person.

But the rest of this thread is great. I do find it fascinating. I S+F the op. And I did comment on the op. Whales are beautiful creatures. To aspire to communicate on any level with another life form on this planet is awe inspiring.

We might need whales to save us from a cigar shaped alien spacecraft.
I love all the Douglas Adams references. Might as well throw in Star Trek too.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I Guess Star Trek The Voyage Home is scratched !!

you know whales being brought into the Future by Kirk Spock Scoty and the rest of the Crew

so the can Communicate with a Cylinder Alien Space Probe

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Intent on returning home to Earth to face trial for their crimes, the former crew of the USS Enterprise finds the planet in grave danger from an alien probe attempting to contact now-extinct humpback whales. The crew travel to Earth's past to find whales who can answer the probe's call.

en.wikipedia.org...:_The_Voyage_Home

Now they Have Speech Human Speech well sort of ...

whats that Probe saying now George and Gracie !!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thank you OP, I wish more articles like this would find their way to ATS.

Off topic but I happen to LOVE the movie Finding Nemo and can't help but smile thinking about Dorey being right after all when she speaks "Whale". Thanks again! S&F, best wishes!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Funny what gets deleted and what doesn't around here.

I came back to read about WHale not Rape

@.@ omg too much e-peen j/k

P.S. remember babelfish from Hitchhiker's guide? LAWL
Maybe we can make a helmet that facilitates speech, but i don't think the dolphin would like wearing it.
How would you convince a captive that the helmet isn't gonna hurt?

I don't think whales like being in tanks, for example. it's not really so we can learn about them, is it?
It's so we can MAKE MONEY exploiting them, they are like the women in the Red District of Amsterdam... in front of windows all day, being stared at.

the only thing that's good for them is also bad: no competition for food. That breeds stupidity.
the whale would be talking only to receive food. we need to find out more about their body language and society before we assume we are the teachers!

No competition for food removes a great deal of thinking...

P.S. in the article it said the trainer heard a sound like "GET OUT" and asked the other humans,
they pointed at the whales. LOL
Whale did not feel like sharing the tank!
edit on 23-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

reply to post by ubeenhad

Whales, koalas, ducks, monkeys, and probably a whole lot of others that we just maybe don't know about yet all engage in rape. We humans find is horrifying. It seems that the rest of the animal kingdom doesn't have such an emotional hang up about it as we humans do.

Thankfully as humans we have the ability to use our mind in combination with our heart. I would imagine animals have more trouble managing this gift, as do the majority of human beings. Much like anything the "key" is finding and maintaining a balance. A statement like the one above comes directly from your mind, try viewing the world through your heart. You may enjoy it.

edit on 23-10-2012 by AwakeANDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Funny what gets deleted and what doesn't around here.
reply to post by KhufuKeplerTriangle

I stopped by the the new "Debate" thread last night to deliver a friendly reminder we should respect others views and not get so emotional over this. Needless to say it was removed lol I suppose it was off topic kinda.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Weird! Cool at the same time. Coincidence? Maybe.

dubz

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The whale is just one animal to evolve onto land and then leave back to the water.

See Story Here!

It is not surprising they are capable of speech and they certainly communicate with each other.

They may not build cities and form governments but that doesn't count against them for being intelligent and capable creatures. We can't quantify it yet, but perhaps in many ways they are beyond humans.
edit on 24-10-2012 by sdocpublishing because: Sentence Structure

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join