It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A whale with a distinctly human-like voice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Click here to listen to the whale, and read the rest of the story.

For the first time, researchers have been able to show by acoustic analysis that whales—or at least one very special white whale—can imitate the voices of humans. That's a surprise, because whales typically produce sounds in a manner that is wholly different from humans, say researchers who report their findings in the October 23 issue of Current Biology. "Our observations suggest that the whale had to modify its vocal mechanics in order to make the speech-like sounds," said Sam Ridgway of the National Marine Mammal Foundation. "Such obvious effort suggests motivation for contact."

Will one day, mammals like whales and dolphins evolve enough to communicate with us?

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interesting, considering the fact whales create those sounds by altering their nasal tract and not with vocal chords.

It's only this particular whale which has been,sadly, in captivity for 30 years, perhaps it was trying to learn to form the words:

"Get me the hell outta here!"

edit on 22-10-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I wonder what they could say. My guess would be "beware of the dolphins, they are here only for the fish and if there is crisis they'll just thank you and bail out".

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

L
L
does sound human
especially freaky is the diver who thought someone was telling him to get out of the water.

sounds like the song from batman on drugs

Will one day, mammals like whales and dolphins evolve enough to communicate with us?

probably, as humans show little inclination or ability to evolve enough to communicate with them.
or acknowledge them as possessing Sapience and Ipseity.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Yes. But I think we'll have to figure out their language... not the other way around. I mean, we have the fancy computers and all.

Device May Let Humans Communicate With Dolphins

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That recording of the whale's imitation of human voice reminded me very strongly of those cat vids on youtube where the cat is saying something like "I love you" or some such. I'm sure you've all seen them. True enough though, that is how we sound!

They must think we're all dotty.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Maybe the book. Life, the Universe and Everything had some truth to it and humans are actually the least intelligent species on this planet.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
I wonder what they could say. My guess would be "beware of the dolphins, they are here only for the fish and if there is crisis they'll just thank you and bail out".

Dolphin Rape is getting serious.

They rape each other. Male or female, old or young, it doesn't matter. Dolphins love rape. In fact I'm pretty sure the only thing dolphins love more than forcing themselves on one another (and sometimes humans) is killing baby porpoises and tossing around their brutalized corpses. www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

edit on 22-10-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Whales, koalas, ducks, monkeys, and probably a whole lot of others that we just maybe don't know about yet all engage in rape. We humans find is horrifying. It seems that the rest of the animal kingdom doesn't have such an emotional hang up about it as we humans do.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's too bad that this particular whale has passed away...

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

To save Earth from an alien probe, Admiral Kirk and his fugitive crew go back in time to 20th century Earth to retrieve the only beings who can communicate with it, humpback whales.

www.imdb.com...

We could have saved the world...

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Sounded like someone playing a kazoo lol,

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Whales, koalas, ducks, monkeys, and probably a whole lot of others that we just maybe don't know about yet all engage in rape. We humans find is horrifying. It seems that the rest of the animal kingdom doesn't have such an emotional hang up about it as we humans do.

Hmmm.......................
that is what makes us different from them

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It sounded like a kid using an empty cardboard roll for a microphone.

The whale was probably saying get me out of here.
It's cruel to lock them up in tanks, held behind glass for people to stare at. Made to perform.

Animals can learn the language of the humans they are kept around. I wish they would all talk back and teach us what they know. Tell us to stop taking them. Their only flaw is they don't have a voice.

Whales have attacked humans when held in captivity.
Dolphins will follow a fishing best when one gets entangled in a net.

The saddest thing I ever saw was dolphins being kept inside Wayne Gtetzky's stupid shopping mall in Edmonton. They wouldn't perform when we walked past during their show. No wonder. The tank was so small. No open air. Noisy shoppers everywhere. It was really cruel. Some died and one was left to swim around alone, before he was transferred to Miami.
edit on 22-10-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

My first thought was Shacaron Macaron, too

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

This is pretty neat! It really did sound like a kazoo version of Chaccaron Maccaron!

I'm surprised that this has been known about since 1984. It's too bad that NOC passed away five years ago, but great to know his legacy is still living on!

It would also be great if a [PETS] tag could be added to the thread! For more information on that click here!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Was I the only one who after reading the 'A whale with a distinctly human-like voice' imagined it sounding like a drunken Barry White? Instead I get a drunken kazoo player. Bummer.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Thats Not talking!, he/she is Singing. Hes going.."doy do doy do doy do doy" in a rhythmic way. Probably has heard music or something in his pool all his captured life.
Not hard to do either, in humans it is called Throat singing (which sounds like a whale, interestingly).
Sounds just like a human does when under water and trying to talk.
Close your mouth and make noises with your throat.....same sounds.
Ventriloquist's can do it very well.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I wonder if he can sing Puttin' on the Ritz

But seriously, I'm always amazed at the imitation powers of animals- S&F!

edit on 10/22/2012 by Sostratus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Or rape you.

This has one word springing into my mind

Creepy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I got a pet bird who makes far more sense than that, hell my bird even sings in tune better than me.
To top it off my Grandfather taught it to swear in two languages. If somebody said "Who is a pretty boy" the bird would say "F**k off"
Stupid whale if you ask me, and the Galah can fly.

What a waste of time this report is. A whale making noises that cant be understood.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join