It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russell Means died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I did a search and didn't see it posted

news.yahoo.com...

Rest in peace Russell
edit on 22-10-2012 by oubliette because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.

edit on Mon Oct 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by oubliette

I loved him in Last of the Mohicans. Sad news.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I received an update from Russell Means Freedom on Sunday that said this:

I have been very moved by the global outpouring of love and support that has been sent to me and my wife, Pearl, since reports of my new illness became public. At times such as this, it is common for innaccurate information and rumors to circulate. A recent rumor that I had passed to the spirit world, is inaccurate. I, like all of us, will eventually join my ancestors, and when I do, my hope is that you will all continue to dedicate yourselves to the work to which I have tried to commit my life — liberation and freedom for my Lakota people, for all indigenous peoples, and, in fact, for ALL peoples. It is true that I am very ill, but my spirit and humor remain strong. Whatever the future holds, the truth is that the work of the TREATY Total Immersion School, the Republic of Lakotah, and the freedom principles of AIM will continue, and hopefully grow. For the most accurate information about me, and my health status, please rely, first and foremost on this website, my official method of communicating to you all. May the Great Mystery continue to watch over you and your loved ones.

So I don't know ....

edit on 22-10-2012 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

there is a statement on Means freedom, but the link on it is broken. It states in part "Our dad and husband, now walks among our ancestors"

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

bsnorrell.blogspot.com...

There are no words.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
until the United States comes to terms with its treatment of the indigenous people it committed genocide against, it will never be a truly great nation.

but hey, go "Redskins".

be at peace Russell Means, though your struggle lives on.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Though not always thought of by the mainstream as using what is considered an acceptable approach to get things done, Means stepped up and made many great contributions toward the recognition of Native Americans - exposing wrongs committed against us, doing his best to shine public light upon those wrongs and then getting them righted. He was a hero to many ~ so very many.

According to the article:

Before AIM, there were few national advocates for American Indians. Means was one of the first to emerge. He sought to restore Indians' pride in their culture and to challenge a government that had paid little attention to tribes in generations. He was also one of the first to urge sports teams to do away with Indian names and mascots.

"No one except Hollywood stars and very rich Texans wore Indian jewelry," Means said, recalling the early days of the movement. And there were dozens, if not hundreds, of athletic teams "that in essence were insulting us, from grade schools to college. That's all changed."

AIM was founded in the late 1960s to demand that the government honor its treaties with American Indian tribes. The movement eventually faded away, Means said, as Native Americans became more self-aware and self-determined.

Whether one viewed Means as right, wrong, justified or misguided, he stood as a warrior due to, if for no other reason, his willingness to stand up for his People.

We've not only lost a warrior; we've lost a piece of history.

May you stand with pride among the other warriors, Mr. Means. May your family and friends have peace.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Truly a great loss.

The Last Of The Mohicans is one of the finest films ever to be conceived.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The Lakota Nation had just declared it's sovereignty from the USA on it's remaining lands in the 5 state area.

It was announced on Cosmic Vision News a couple of weeks ago. Jeffrey West, the speaker on CVN said that Means invited all to join with them, as long as they renounced their US citizenship.

Not 3 weeks after this, Russell Means dies.

May he rest in peace.

CosmicVisionNews

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
In my searches I happened up a speech by Russel Means given in 1980. Keep that year in mind if you read the whole speech. To me it is brilliant how what Russel Means said then has become a vivid reality today. Not to notice this is to still be "blind" or "immature" in a spiritual sense.

Here are some fragments

The European materialist tradition of despiritualizing the universe is very similar to the mental process which goes into dehumanizing another person. And who seems most expert at dehumanizing other people? And why? Soldiers who have seen a lot of combat learn to do this to the enemy before going back into combat. Murderers do it before going out to commit murder. Nazi SS guards did it to concentration camp inmates. Cops do it. Corporation leaders do it to the workers they send into uranium mines and steel mills. Politicians do it to everyone in sight. And what the process has in common for each group doing the dehumanizing is that it makes it all right to kill and otherwise destroy other people. One of the Christian commandments says, "Thou shalt not kill," at least not humans, so the trick is to mentally convert the victims into nonhumans. Then you can proclaim violation of your own commandment as a virtue.

Most important here, perhaps, is the fact that Europeans feel no sense of loss in all this. After all, their philosophers have despiritualized reality, so there is no satisfaction (for them) to be gained in simply observing the wonder of a mountain or a lake or a people in being. No, satisfaction is measured in terms of gaining material. So the mountain becomes gravel, and the lake becomes coolant for a factory, and the people are rounded up for processing through the indoctrination mills Europeans like to call schools.

Right now, today, we who live on the Pine Ridge Reservation are living in what white society has designated a "National Sacrifice Area." What this means is that we have a lot of uranium deposits here, and white culture (not us) needs this uranium as energy production material. The cheapest, most efficient way for industry to extract and deal with the processing of this uranium is to dump the waste by-products right here at the digging sites. Right here where we live. This waste is radioactive and will make the entire region uninhabitable forever. This is considered by the industry, and by the white society that created this industry, to be an "acceptable" price to pay for energy resource development. Along the way they also plan to drain the water table under this part of South Dakota as part of the industrial process, so the region becomes doubly uninhabitable. The same sort of thing is happening down in the land of the Navajo and Hopi, up in the land of the Northern Cheyenne and Crow, and elsewhere. Thirty percent of the coal in the West and half of the uranium deposits in the United States have been found to lie under reservation land, so there is no way this can be called a minor issue.

Revolutionary Marxism, like industrial society in other forms, seeks to "rationalize" all people in relation to industry--maximum industry, maximum production. It is a doctrine that despises the American Indian spiritual tradition, our cultures, our lifeways. Marx himself called us "precapitalists" and "primitive." Precapitalist simply means that, in his view, we would eventually discover capitalism and become capitalists; we have always been economically retarded in Marxist terms. The only manner in which American Indian people could participate in a Marxist revolution would be to join the industrial system, to become factory workers, or "proletarians," as Marx called them. The man was very clear about the fact that his revolution could only occur through the struggle of the proletariat, that the existence of a massive industrial system is a precondition of a successful Marxist society.
There is no difference as to the outcome one should expect from whichever -ism. That is cristial clear today.

1980 Speech

Reality
Taking care of the land
Fox Con
Collateral Damage
Thanks Bill for $5 a day
edit on 26-10-2012 by tintin2012 because: added link

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think this film fits in this place, Peace

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
The Lakota Nation had just declared it's sovereignty from the USA on it's remaining lands in the 5 state area.

It was announced on Cosmic Vision News a couple of weeks ago. Jeffrey West, the speaker on CVN said that Means invited all to join with them, as long as they renounced their US citizenship.

Not 3 weeks after this, Russell Means dies.

May he rest in peace.

CosmicVisionNews

Actually, CVN discovered it a few weeks ago. Means organized this in 2007, but there seems to be little support for it among the Lakota themselves.
savageminds.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Regardless, as others have said, he was a powerful man who created a lot of necessary change. I'm sorry he's no longer with us. The reservations need strong leaders and strong voices.

new topics

top topics

join