It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
he assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi last month appears to have been an opportunistic attack rather than a long-planned operation, and intelligence agencies have found no evidence that it was ordered by Al Qaeda, according to U.S. officials and witnesses interviewed in Libya.
29 May 2012 Last updated at 12:16 ET
BP to resume oil operations in Libya
BP has moved a step closer to resuming operations in Libya, as safety fears subside in the aftermath of the 2011 uprising against the Gaddafi regime.
BP signed an exploration and production agreement with Libya's National Oil Corporation in 2007, but suspended the contract in February 2011 because of the war.
The suspension, known as a Force Majeure, has now been lifted.
BP says it could spend $20bn (£12.8bn) in the country over the next 10 years.
Muammar Gaddafi, the deposed leader of Libya, died on 20 October 2011 during the Battle of Sirte. Gaddafi was found hiding in a culvert west of Sirte and captured by National Transitional Council forces. He was killed shortly afterwards. The NTC initially claimed he died from injuries sustained in a firefight when loyalist forces attempted to free him, although videos of his last moments show rebel fighters beating him to death.
BP's Libya campaign may stall
Upstream Staff 28 September 2012 07:40 GMT
Plans by UK supermajor BP to start its eagerly awaited deep-water drilling campaign off Libya may be pushed back to the fourth quarter of 2013 as the new authorities struggle to put exploration efforts back on track following last year’s overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.
BP,Lockerbie,Libya,Iran and Syria:A Web of Interests
Posted on October 5, 2012 by irmedeaca
Senators demand criminal probe of BP’s Lockerbie connection
US senators are demanding that BP face a criminal investigation into its role in freeing convicted Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi last year. New York Democrat Charles Schumer joined with victims’ relatives to call for a probe into BP’s “blood money” in the Lockerbie case. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also called on Scottish and British authorities to review the circumstances that led Scotland to release al-Megrahi in 2009.
UPDATE 1-Ensco contracts ultra-deepwater drillship to BP
Mon Apr 2, 2012 1:52pm GMT Print | Single Page [-] Text [+]
April 2 (Reuters) - Ensco Plc, owner of the world's second-largest offshore drilling fleet, said it has contracted an ultra-deepwater drillship to BP for five years, adding more than $1 billion to Ensco's revenue backlog.
The new ENSCO DS-6, delivered from Samsung Heavy Industries' shipyard in South Korea, has been contracted for about $522,000 per day.
Oil companies such as BP have been eyeing deepwater drilling to boost their oil output in recent years as their access to on-shore fields has been limited.
The drillship is expected to commence the contract in late fourth quarter this year, Ensco said. The contract also includes two one-year options at mutually agreed rates, it added.
Return to: EBR Home | Oil & Gas | Exploration & Development
Exploration & Development News
BP to resume Libyan exploration program
EBR Staff Writer
Published 31 May 2012
BP announced it will resume oil and gas exploration in Libya and has lifted force majeure with respect to its exploration and production sharing agreement (EPSA) with the state-run National Oil Corporation (NOC) effective 15 May 2012.
BP declared force majeure since 21 February 2011 because of civil war that ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
BP's EPSA contract includes commitments to drill five wells offshore and 12 wells onshore.
BP Exploration executive vice president Michael Daly said the lifting of force majeure is a significant milestone in the company's plans to return to the exploration of onshore and offshore blocks in our existing EPSA contract.
"We look forward to working with the NOC and our partners in the Libyan Investment Authority to safely implement our drilling programme," he added.
NOC chairman Nuri Berruien said, "The NOC will work with BP to deliver the objectives of the EPSA and extends all help and support to BP in order to implement the agreed work program as per existing EPSA terms."
In December 2007, BP had inked a $900m exploration deal in Libya.
Since then, the company has acquired over 31,000 km2 of 3D seismic data over blocks offshore in the Sirt basin and onshore in the Ghadames basin.
The exploration program was interrupted in 2011 before the commencement of drilling operations.
Late Monday, on the eve of the 11th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, U.S. intelligence learned of a new 42-minute video in which al-Qaida leader Ayman Al-Zawahiri implored Libyans to rise up against Americans and avenge the death in June of Zawahiri’s top deputy, Abu-Yahya al-Libi, in a drone attack.
In the video, Zawahiri asked Libyans, "What is your role in avenging the death" of al-Libi, answering, "fight and kill the crusaders".
In his video, the al-Qaida leader summoned the “honorable, free-born people of Libya” to declare “what is your role in avenging the death of your son who revived the approach of your cleric, whose blood shouts to you, calls on you and incites you to fight and kill the crusaders." "Do not let him down,” Zawahiri implored on the tape.