It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Iran Sanctions Have Failed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

The Congressional Research Service has published a report (Oct 15, 2012) that outlines the failures of the sanctions against Iran.

In short, the plan failed to stop the nuclear weapons threat which was apparently the primary objective.

Economic sanctions on Iran have failed in their “principal objective” of preventing Tehran from obtaining nuclear weapons, according to a nonpartisan study by the Congressional Research Service (CRS).

Sanctions “have not stopped Iran from building up its conventional military and missile capabilities, in large part with indigenous skills,” according to the report, which was released earlier this week.

Western economic sanctions on Iran, which President Obama’s administration says are the toughest in history, have not been able to stop Tehran from clandestinely shipping weapons to the embattled regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, which continues to slaughter opposition forces and citizens alike in a bloody conflict that has spanned over a year....................

The "Report" (pdf) Iran Sanctions

related story.....and opinions

A non-partisan study by the Congressional Research Service (CRS) has determined that whatever the sanctions against Iran might have done, they have not hindered that nation's pursuit of a nuclear weapon.

In fact, the study indicates the sanctions "have not stopped Iran from building up its conventional military and missile capabilities, in large part with indigenous skills." This would probably come as a surprise to Joe Biden, who admits Iran may have fissile material but contends they have no missile to put it in.

Speaking of Biden, his defense of an isolated, sanction-based approach to Iran is a perfect example of the weakness of this administration's foreign policy. ...........

Congressional Research Service Report: Obama's Iran Policy Not Working

So...... what went wrong and what may have been the Real "objectives" ?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
sanctions are illogical.

"no dessert if you don't finish your dinner"

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
And the innocent people of Iran's government are the ones to suffer.

Seriously, all I think sanctions do is destroy the little guys so they can't fund the guys running the show. And surprise, it doesn't work.

Silly me, I forgot anyone living in the middle east is a potential terrorist and I should be in fear of them 24/7. Help us Obama! We have to take them out before they do something!

Sarcasm. Go with it.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I swore I saw an article in the news not but a few weeks ago that said the sanctions were a raging success and were about to cause the regime to topple...

Here it is: Clas hes and protest over Iran currency plunge hit Tehran

Economists and political analysts in Iran and abroad said the anger reflected the accumulated impact of harsh Western economic sanctions over Iran’s disputed nuclear program

edit on 19-10-2012 by BobM88 because: added link and text

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yeah the US are morons if they thought that applying economic sanctions would do anything but strenghten the resolve of the Government.

I mean why would the Iranian power structure care if their surf's are starving? They aren't going through any issues because of it.

Furthermore they got around those sanctions by selling things for Gold instead of cash money.

Economic sanctions are all nonsense. This was just a ruse the West usages before they decide to invade a nation.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Iran has every right to build weapons to defend itself. There are many types of missiles just because Iran has missiles doesn't mean they are the proper type to carry a nuclear warhead.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
I swore I saw an article in the news not but a few weeks ago that said the sanctions were a raging success and were about to cause the regime to topple...

I think those reports were diverting from the actual intended purposes of stopping nuclear weapons development.

They were focusing on the economic impacts, not the nukes.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This article seems to contradict itself.

Economic sanctions on Iran have failed in their “principal objective” of preventing Tehran from obtaining nuclear weapons, according to a nonpartisan study by the Congressional Research Service (CRS).

So Iran has been successful in creating nukes?

Sanctions “have not stopped Iran from building up its conventional military and missile capabilities, in large part with indigenous skills,” according to the report, which was released earlier this week.

Nope, just the same old stuff they have been doing all along.

But if you actually read the PDF, it gives a list of how the sanctions HAVE worked. I'm confused. Either the person writing the report was off, or the writer at FreeBeacon is a partisan hack that cannot read.

From the PDF:

However, a broad international coalition has imposed progressively strict economic sanctions on Iran’s oil export lifeline, producing increasingly severe effects on Iran’s economy. Many judge that Iran might soon decide it needs a nuclear compromise to produce an easing of sanctions because:

However, sanctions may be slowing Iran’s nuclear program somewhat by preventing Iran from obtaining some needed technology from foreign sources

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
What good are sanctions if waivers are given to other countries to allow them to still do business?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i think the usa is somewhat underestimating that country.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I say give it a few more months...

The people are pissed. Their money is devaluing, they cannot access the "internet" as a whole, they cannot import or export and W.O.W was cut off!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think we impose sanctions in the hope that the people we rise up in revolt.Don't remember it ever having worked tho...

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm not saying let the Arabs kill the Jews, all I'm saying is remove US Israeli support and let it sort itself out.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Ah-ha....after finding and re-reading, I believe you are right, thanks!

2nd line

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

and W.O.W was cut off!

That'll be the reason why it's not working. People are doing productive things with their time!!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Iran has every right to build weapons to defend itself. There are many types of missiles just because Iran has missiles doesn't mean they are the proper type to carry a nuclear warhead.

We have been through this numerous times. Iran has been doing research on MIRV warheads. Please show me a non nuclear use of MIRV warhead technology.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace
I'm not saying let the Arabs kill the Jews, all I'm saying is remove US Israeli support and let it sort itself out.

You do realize that Iran is mainly Persian, not Arab right? Don't want you stereotyping the wrong people now do ya?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Oh, so they've found actual evidence or proof that Iran has / is building nuclear weapons? Outside of biased opinions that have been publicized to no end?

Wow, I feel better.

If the sanctions have failed (to destroy and disease the civilian people), it is because the Iranian people have found a way to circumvent the situation. Ignoring the continual, persistent, warmongering rhetoric from the west, I'd have to say, good for them. The Iranian population does not deserve to suffer, due to the Wests inability to keep their hands clean of innocent blood, as can be seen throughout the rest of the Middle East.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Because when a nation is intent on achieving a military objective they are willing to throw their population under the bus by continuing to focus resources, and the shifting resources, away from the civilian sector to the government sector in order to make up for the loss in other areas.

Its why sanctions on N. Korea to prevent them from obtaining nuclear weapons failed. North Korea, like Iran, find their military objective more of a priority than their own people.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88

Yeah, and i read a news paper report her that three t1tted women had been found on the moon...catch my drift about the media..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join