It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background checks for gun renters to prevent suicides?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Regarding range rental suicides:

There have been several similar types of suicides across the state, several of them in the Orlando area and the most recent happened in Tamarac, a city west of Ft. Lauderdale in Broward Co.

Anyone with any sense knows a whole truckload of issues and then some culminate into suicide. There is always an exception however:

The problem is that even through everyone who buys a gun must submit to a background check and waiting period; those who rent a gun do not.

How exactly could a NICS check return a suicide probability? Eh, never-mind, people who propose and push for legislation never can explain how their legislation would accomplish a stated goal anyway so this shouldnt surprise me one bit.

Link

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Feel good legislation is never meant to serve an actual purpose, it is meant to merely allow them to look like they are actually doing something. This allows them to "feel good", and it also allows them to say they are doing something about the issue even if the something they are doing does nothing at all.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You know there is a way to handle this and do it fair and effectively. It might even get a few million people to stop cussing Uncle on a regular basis.

When we go through a background check...any background check..it SHOULD be noted somewhere. No details necessary for WHY or WHAT, but if passed especially, maybe the drivers license record? I don't know, but I had to undergo THREE different background checks during 1 six month period in my trucking career because of ignorance and overlapping programs that really had no good reason to overlap. D.H.S. screening for my Hazardous Materials endorsement should have trumped all others for the year as it was literally the longest and biggest pain in the butt. At $50-$100 or more per check...it's no small matter for working folk.

At the same time, now you have it easy for spot checking people about to handle a loaded gun within feet of you, as the clerk/owner. If they bought a gun, they'll have the flag for clearing the check on it or anything else they've done a check for to get a pass indicator.

If no indicator for the gun renter? Err.. red flag?! It would mean he's never bought one to pass one. Why would homer be up wanting to shoot what he's never bought? Well... Then NICS could be used on a reasonable number instead of a thousand or more checks a week over a stupid law with people the range likely knows on sight 90% of the time anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

First....you can rent a gun?!?

Second...it's the same concept as a seven day waiting period for a hand gun. I guess they figure if you have to wait a bit you may not kill yourself.

It sounds like a lot of bother to commit suicide. Why not just take some pills, slit your wrists, jump off a cliff, piss off some guy who already has a gun, etc. There are a million ways to kill yourself.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Trouble is none of the people asking for a background seem to trust the last background check.

Thanks to a clerical error I had to go through four checks in one week right after a previous week of four checks. It's all good though because the tax payers paid for it.

One check just doesnt cut it for whatever reason. As if these fellas over here are going to find something in their check that this group here didnt find in their check the day before.

Like I'm passing one check then running out to commit a stack of felonies just hours before the next check.

Which brings up another issue. Check me today and I'll pass. Check me in ten years? Who knows what life will bring me between now and then. Would I still pass? Hopefully but I cant make any promises.

So now we would need periodic checks. Or maybe even perpetual checks.

Back to the stated purpose of the legislation, no check can predict suicide anyway so it's all moot.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

Prevent suicide ... why bother? Nobody has a right to anybody elses life ... either to live it or take it!

Personal Disclosure: Until one has the right to die with dignity [upon a mere whim] ... all other rights are pointless.

P.S. It is probably some wacko black op covert liberal scheme to shut down the gun ranges or limit their income.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

First....you can rent a gun?!?

Second...it's the same concept as a seven day waiting period for a hand gun. I guess they figure if you have to wait a bit you may not kill yourself.

It sounds like a lot of bother to commit suicide. Why not just take some pills, slit your wrists, jump off a cliff, piss off some guy who already has a gun, etc. There are a million ways to kill yourself.

Lots of ranges offer rentals. Try before you buy. They dont let you leave with it. It's just to use on the range.

The check is the so-called "instant" NICS check. I say so-called because it can take up to 4 hours.

Drama queens love the high-profile suicide. The more people they can traumatize the better. Not unlike spree killers. They just want to spread the pain.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

No one can predict suicide. Yes, on that you're 100% correct. This seems a little quick to be in reference to this, but I had just read a thread here yesterday about someone shooting themselves in front on the ATS member on a range. Is this the same? The comment that stuck was having just been in the parking lot with the guy having a cigarette and not noticing anything off?

I mean, at a range especially..? I absolutely agree that only the attention seeker type would give warning signs a counter person should be expected to see. It's almost like an impulse thing? I don't know..So odd how these seem to happen on the rare occasions they do.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Surely if someones looking to blow their brains out they're either going to be so super calm or hyper and both of those sort of things should set the rental guys radar flashing enough to at least dig a bit further and perhaps gently ask the person to come back tomorrow and perhaps alert the psych squad

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Ir really does kind of make sense, even though I oppose most gun legislation. I wouldn't hand my gun to somebody that I didn't know a lot about, so why should a gun range rent a gun to somebody they don't know anything about? Really, the legislation should have been unnecessary, because the range owners should have had several layers of protection built in. Must be a member, must be background checked, must be supervised by a range official, etc. Renting a gun to someone is a risky proposition when everything is ideal, and when things are less than ideal it just seems outright insane.

I don't think this should be another restriction on gun owners, but on people operating ranges in general. If you rent guns to people, you need several layers of safety.

I personally wouldn't attend a range where they rent guns to amateurs and looky-lous.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

How exactly could a NICS check return a suicide probability? Eh, never-mind, people who propose and push for legislation never can explain how their legislation would accomplish a stated goal anyway so this shouldnt surprise me one bit.

Link

You have to ask the question; why if the government is so concerned about people's physcial safety that they need to do back ground checks on people renting guns, why are they not also as equally concerned about their financial safety?

top topics

join