It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Not to Feed a Huge Wild Crocodile !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This Monster is a beauty !
seeing such RAW POWER so close must be an incredible feeling

not many can remain that calm with a beast like that 1 feet away from you
one mistake and the croc will eat you alive

the guy was extremely lucky that this croc wasnt that hungry
because the scene after the above pic was really scary
the guy legs get stuck very deep in quick sand

My guess .. this croc must be 15 to 20 feets !

From the poster (from Costa Rica)

Tourist guide almost ends up as croc lunch

This Tourist got some balls or Steve Irwin has a brother

Didnt know where to post this thread (Survival or Cryptozoology) lol
mods can move if necessary
edit on 10/13/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Fortunately for him a croc of that size can barely move on land, they can lurch out of the water very quickly by propelling themselves onto the beach with their tail, but once fully on dry land they loose that ability. Still, that was a close call, very close.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What about this guy?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ssupp

lol .. another beauty .. but its not the same

the one in the op is wild not a domesticated pet ahah
i dont think he would go swim with a wild one
they have been friends for 20 yrs .. wow
thats a nice love story they got together
thanks for sharing

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Fortunately for him a croc of that size can barely move on land, they can lurch out of the water very quickly by propelling themselves onto the beach with their tail, but once fully on dry land they loose that ability.

Don't kid yourself....a large croc can easily outrun a man. The croc has problem changing directions, so here in Australia children are taught at a young age to run in a zig zag pattern if in such a situation.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Haha, I don't think domestic crocodiles exist. He's just not eating him because he's not hungry lol.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ssupp
reply to post by Ben81

Haha, I don't think domestic crocodiles exist. He's just not eating him because he's not hungry lol.

He is probably Scorpio to lol

like this woman

you can domesticate any animal when they are babies

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Yeah I forgot about that lol, not a good mistake to make when you live in Australia huh

I checked the wiki page for their speed, the highest every recorded is 17km/h, compare that to 48kmph for the fastest man ever recorded, scale them both down and I like my chances
I think even marathon runners go quicker than that for the full 42kms, mr. croc aint got nuthin!

But I wonder how fast a man can run in this quicksand?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Actually, there are plenty of animals that can't be domesticated. Crocs, are just one of the many which include Zebras, foxes, wolves, and coyotes.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

But I wonder how fast a man can run in this quicksand?

That is the crunch.....on concrete/bitumen the human would have the speed....on a muddy river bed....the croc will have it.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by Ben81

Actually, there are plenty of animals that can't be domesticated. Crocs, are just one of the many which include Zebras, foxes, wolves, and coyotes.

i think it depend on your astrological sign

This guy maybe Capricorn or Virgo

This guy maybe Leo or Pisces

This girl maybe Aries or Pisces

Everyone has a connection with certain animal

for my part .. i love big birds (especially those 2 below)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Crocodiles are very beautiful and majestic but you will never see me feeding one or getting anywhere near one! Same for alligators, which we have many of where I live. I like the other videos too. I love that python!

Thanks for the awesome thread

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The croc didn't go after him aggressively because it gets fed regularly by that tourist guide.....but what they are doing is wrong because that croc is habituated towards humans and associates them with food. What happens when someone else goes near, the croc is going to go to them expecting something to eat, and when they don't feed it......

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The zig-zag running thing is largely a myth. Crocs are incredibly intelligent animals and because they weigh so much they rarely attack unless the odds are stacked heavily in their favour, because in a relatively small amount of intense movement will tire the croc very quickly. I sincerely doubt a croc would chase you on sand or grass because it would know that you have the advantage. However, it would certainly give chase on a mudflat because they have the advantage. On mud they slither sort of like a snake and they can reach pretty high speeds doing that and it doesn’t sap too much energy. I know that on mud I’d have no hope of out running a croc, even a six metre monster. So the zig-zag thing is nonsense because the croc wouldn’t give you the chance to zig-zag. The croc will see, hear, smell and watch you long before you even spot its air bubbles. If you camp near a river with a croc there, they’ll watch you. They’ll learn your behaviour over the course of a few days. They’ll learn the time you go to the river to get water, they’ll learn where you go to get the water. After a few days if they’re still interested and hungry, they’ll make their way to the spot you go to collect the water a little before the time you have been going there and they’ll lay in wait under the water for you to come. A croc can propel roughly its body length out of the water. They’re by no means stupid and they will not waste their energy and time chasing you on grass or concrete. Only on mud or sand banks if you’re close even to the water’s edge to surprise. This fella probably feeds this croc like that every day or week. Big ones like this are extremely territorial, and though not domesticated by any stretch, would know that this guy and his mates come by with food every other day. So when that happens, why would he eat the man who feeds him routinely? I lived in the Kimberly’s in Australia, I know my stuff about crocs. You have to when you live there if you want to go fishing and that sort of thing. I know what they’re capable of and their behavioural patterns. It may have looked very dodgy, but I don’t think that this particular guy was in any real, genuine danger. Some random guy trying to feed the same croc, yes probably. But not this guy. If the croc wanted him he would have completely ignored the meat and gone for the guy straight up. But why expel and waste energy when you know that you got a regular feed?
edit on 13-10-2012 by BlindBastards because: l

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Ben81

Prove it! Otherwise your just repeating what you have heard. For every nay sayer I can find someone with experience in successfully living with all sorts of creatures.

And if you say, that can be dangerous, then consider how many people are attacked by dogs every year.

P

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Ben81

Wrong, I have personally seen foxes hand raised and living with people as a pet.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Wrong, I have personally seen foxes hand raised and living with people as a pet.

I suppose it depends on what you class as domesticated.

According to people who have spent time researching this.....

en.wikipedia.org...

The fox fails at least two of the six criteria
3. Breed in captivity.
5. Temperament.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

reply to post by MidnightTide

I suppose it depends on what you class as domesticated.

According to people who have spent time researching this.....

en.wikipedia.org...

The fox fails at least two of the six criteria
3. Breed in captivity.
5. Temperament.

Worked on a fox farm, so I know they can breed in captivity (infanticide is a problem, but researchers are working on that problem, my BSc thesis defense was on this) Same issue with temperament, but as I stated, know people who have foxes as personal pets. I believe with breeding programs, foxes can be domesticated.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

The article quoted says, "According to evolutionary biologist Jared Diamond."

Well I am glad that Jared shared those points with us. I am glad you shared yours. I truly am. But! Your original point came across as a blatant no, these can't be domesticated. They can and many are. Just because Jared is worried about his hip pocket does not mean that I have to be. His idea of ideal temperament and mine will differ.

The point I am trying to make here is that your responses were 'no you can't / can't be done types of comments. You may have more luck with "according to Jarred who has done research on the subject, bla bla bla."

Then a lively discussion may have ensued on some of Jared's silly ideas.

Just food for thought.

P

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

But! Your original point came across as a blatant no, these can't be domesticated.

No, my point was in response to the statement that any animal can be domesticated....

reply to post by Ben81

To clarify my statement was in response to a blanket statement, not the other way around.

Would you also like to state that any animal can be domesticated?

Would you also like to state that the month of your birth has any effect on whether you are able to domesticate certain species?

edit on 14/10/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join