It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's it like living in China for the past 6 years without going back home ? Ask me! PART 1

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

awesome post. You present a great human aspect to China that many (Americans) often overlook or don't bother considering because China owns us, they steal our IP, they fix their currency..blah blah...

It reminds me of some friends I have in China, who are celebrities (very popular singers) who are very down to earth, kind, humble, and generous. Indeed I have met all types of Chinese, there are great people there indeed.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

You lost my friend?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by radicalender
I'm so glad someone else is bringing out the truth about life in China. I've been here for 2 years myself, and I have a long way to go to figure it all out. The media blackouts are especially frustrating, as I started coming to this website strictly because they shut down lots of VPNs and there's really not many ways to find out what's going on in the world.

I actually enjoy life here, however I remember the USofA was so much ridiculously better. But living in China (i'm in Hangzhou) is (was) remarkably easy for americans (before they changed the visa restrictions). Everything is so cheap and I've never worried about paying rent.

I have a question though: What's the general feeling in the states now? Better than 2009, or worse? I remember my dad's neighborhood in Kansas City and hearing gunshots every night, and seeing wastelands of abandoned buildings and empty lots as the norm. Is it REALLY possible for Romney to be elected? Seems like that guy would totally push the big red button...

Even though you say you enjoy life there..it still sounds like you're very isolated...almost like a very low level security prison camp...
edit on 10-10-2012 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Dealt with plenty of Chinese companies and have remained close with only one, because they actually do have good customer service and communication, do admit faults/production mistakes and go out of their way to fix them and assist.

Downside: they are rather pricey. Approx 2-3x more than the cheaper/knockoffs (which don't hold a candle in real world performance). This should give you an idea of what good stuff actually costs from China - it is still cheaper, but it's not 10x cheaper than in the west like you would expect.. cost must come out of somewhere.

But you get what you pay for and money is king over there.

And it is true - there is a China price and a foreign price. China price is 1/2-1/3rd of what you will pay or even better sometimes. You need to know Chinese people on the ground to get those prices. Chinese govt gives discounts and subsidies to Chinese purchasers over foreign purchases.
And if you find a good business and build a good relationship, they can also help you finding out other contacts.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Are Chinese women generally attracted to caucasian men? I ask this because I encounter a lot of Chinese students in my job and I will be honest, I want one!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by crackerjack

Originally posted by sweetooth

what a load of jingoistic rubbish from an aussie of all people
so, let's get this straight 'crackerjack', all chinese businessmen are out to use you and all market sellers want to fleece you? maybe they just don't like you and your paranoid xenophobic generalising way. ever thought of that?

I've learnt the hard ropes here, I've been used,abused and spat out and I keep doing it because i still believed then that maybe some are different. I was wrong. In China the final thing is MONEY, nothing else.
They don't care how they make it or how unsafe it is all they care about it money in their wallets. Most of the domestic foods here are unsafe, alot of it goes unregulated. Baby milk powder is a massive one, killed alot of kids, but not one person took the blame for it, why should they care they have their new Audi.

i think you will find that the baby milk powder scandal was Nestle in south africa. btw, is it true that all the chinese care about is wether or not they have an Audi?! really? they are prepared to murder on an industrial scale just so they can have an audi?!!!! i would hate to see what they did for a Maserati... my only question is why did they spit on you crackerjack? actually, i have no need of an answer, i think i may already know...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
welp seals the deal there then, wont EVER be visiting that country EVER, lol, ill stick with holland , much more friendly and everyone is a giant, including the women mmmmmm giant women mmmmmm

just a thought, i always find it odd when people are in executions lines or on way to death row or about to get head cut off, why they dont act out and go crazy, i mean wth they just gonna kill you anyways, mine as well get a few bloody noses in while your at it ^^
edit on 10-10-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: thought

edit on 10-10-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: s

i agree. if i was on death row i reckon i would turn a bit 'rambo' and try to kill everyone who was trying to kill me. even the priest who was giving me the last rights. what would they do? give me another death sentence? i'm with widowmaker on this one.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I lived in Hangzhou twice for a combined year and a half (2005 and then again in 2008). Very beautiful city and spent many a day relaxing by the West Lake.

Could relate to many things mentioned in here and the toilet roll comment made me laugh as it reminded me of my biggest culture shock moment i had where after i had been run over and broke my shoulder i was getting ready to go to hospital for an operation (after first doctor i saw said it wasn't broken and i spent 2 days before getting a second opinion after my arm had turned pretty much black from bruising) I was packing my things and then the assistant asked whether i'd be taking tissue. I replied no and she seemed really shocked and asked really?!?! not registering it at the moment after a little back and forth my flatmate then asked "do you mean toilet roll?" and she gave a relieved smile and went Yes!!! so then we asked why would we need to bring toilet roll and she revealed how the hospital wouldn't have any. Definitely a "yup, not in England anymore" moment.

Definitely noticed a big difference in the visa process from 2005 to 2008. First time my school handled it all and i didn't have to go anywhere but the second time i ended up having to go down to Hong Kong to get my work visa which i then had to have extended at the council in Hangzhou anyway so was a "well why couldn't we just do the whole thing here?" thing. My friends said they were trying to clamp down on the foreigners visas due to the olympics, how true that is i don't know.

I was lucky with my chinese friends and met a good group of people who didn't seem to have any agendas and seemed to just be interested in making friends with me. I remember one of them telling me once how a percentage of chinese people will only have "friends" based on what thing can that person offer them and make their life a little easier. I could tell a mile away the people who were coming up to me basically for free english lessons and would often just ignore them or if they were particularly annoying with it i'd call them out about it there and then and tell them "if you want English lessons it'll be 200RMB an hour, thanks"

Defnitely noticed it was hard to get apartments thanks to idiot foreigners who would trash the places and thus we all get tarred with the same brush.

Never went to places without price tags on stuff without one of my chinese friends. Noticed how handy that was when i was buying souvenirs and paid 20rmb for a fan which an Aussie guy then purchased for 250rmb a minute or so later. Just looked back to the chinese vendor and smiled and she started laughing.

Definite problems with getting hassled by folks thinking you're super rich and trying to get you into their stores. I once had this old lady following me up the street hitting me with a laminated piece of card with products advertised on it until finally someone intervened and told her to back away.

Same thing with certain women, obviously after a rich foreign guy to look after them hanging around clubs and such again could usually pick them out a mile off though would see countless older guys being taken for mugs.

Didn't have problems with the younger people there but i did get some very dirty looks from the older people. Just shrugged it off and didn't let it bother me.

No real experience with cops except one time in the internet cafe i had been going to for about 2 weeks with no problems. I would go in, pay for my time then sit on the computer. One day though a cop came in shortly after i had paid and had dealt with the older mother i guess instead of the son. Noticed they were talking and pointing in my general direction and saw the cop slowly walking my way. Figured uh oh, what have i done and he says hello and says "passport" i'm like huh? why do you want to see my passport? and he just repeats "passport" i didn't have it on me and say so and he looks flustered and finally a younger kid interrupted and talked to the cop and then told me "he wants to see your ID, you didn't give it to the woman at the desk" i reply i didn't know i had to as i hadn't done it so far there and i didn't have my passport. He talks some more to the cop and then tells me "well he says just remember to bring it next time" and he walked off. Definitely a scary moment there though.

On the whole an extremely pleasant experience, met some awesome people there and made some good friends and all in all the only problems i had with people there were with other foreigners who were obviously used to being able to act like jerks in everyday life and would be allowed to get away with it and who needed a bit of bringing down to earth.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kawada

You're absolutely Correct, I hope you enjoyed your stay in China and return some time.
People also don't understand hospitals in China.

I do understand the Doctor telling you, your arm was not broken, I'm Happy to hear you did get treated, I have to ask, Was the treatment you received from a Hospital in a Large City?
I know after working in a Hospital in Harbin in the 1980's ( because I am a Chinese Licensed Doctor or Acupuncture, Traditional Herbal Chinese Medicine and Cupping ) that before some changes had come into effect, food or meals was generally not provided in Chinese hospitals. You need your family and friends to come each day and take care of you. Please believe when I say it was especially sad to see people bringing in family members on their backs when there are no emergency carts or elevators. You are not likely to find heat and air conditioning in the hospitals either.
Back thing Doctors were paid so poorly that when a Chinese doctors see a foreigner, he or she thinks, CA-CHING it's pay day!
I worked at The Harbin Medical University #4 Hospital in of-course Harbin, China. In the Province of Heilongjiang.

I guess, I was hoping you had a good stay and was treated well.

I did not stay at the Hospital, I accepted an other job opportunity in Beijing through my Uncle and that's is how I met my husband and I really can not go into that here.

Do I still perform Acupuncture here? Yes. I treat our daughter, my husband and myself and numerous older Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese couples here.

Sorry this is not about me. I hope you wish to return and teach the Children of China English, I as many others in America and China believe that in order in deal in Big Business Deal and Big Finances in the Futrue, You will need a working knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, some thing like that Sy Fy show some years ago called Fire Fly I think, except they spoke a mixture of Cantonese and English. I would like to hear what others think of that.

I wanted to add: Glad you joined ATS and I hope you enjoy your time here, be active!

Sorry I'm Rambling again

edit on 10-10-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ah forgot one thing, what we deemed "the chinese mating call" and probably one of the few things i "hated" about China.

You would constantly hear people hacking up what seemed to be their very soul before spitting. That noise as they brought up all their nastiness was worse than nails on a chalkboard. *shudders thinking about it*

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hi guohua,thanks for your reply and interest.

Yes i was treated very well by the doctors and nurses there (one of the nurses even gave me a moon cake for the festival there at the time) they would often check on me and such and ask how i was doing. The only issue i had was with one nurse who would grab my iv tube and squeeze along it while it was still connected to my veins. She didn't seem to think she was doing wrong, i however didn't want to get an air bubble and die lol

The conditions themselves weren't the best, i was put in a room with 8 other patients and i was in a makeshift bed in the corner of the room next to the window where people would go out onto the balcony and wash their hands and plates and such and yes i had to bring my own fan with me. I was offered food but after one meal of it i had my friends bringing stuff in for me (seems hospital food being disgusting is a worldwide thing hehe)

There was helpers there also who would aid in peeling food or helping me get to the toilet. I felt bad for the one guy there as one night i had to get up about 8 times. I kept apologising to him each time but he said it was fine and he was happy to help and said he was sorry for what happened to me.

The operation itself went great and when i got back to England they said the only thing different they would have done was use a smaller plate to attach to the bone but everything else looked fine.

I went to the specific orthopedic hospital in Hangzhou for it.

It was good for teaching though as it helped me take up about 3 weeks of classes telling my students about it as they were all really interested though they joked i should have been sent to the Number 7 hospital which was the psych ward hehe

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kawada

You really don't need to go to China to witness that. Come into my bathroom, first thing in the morning and you will witness more hacking than Anonymous...
edit on 10-10-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: typo

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Alot of American products are dominating the domestic markets here, outselling local brands, so more American companies are coming here to explore the domestic markets, Chinese love American stuff.

When you consider the percentage of "American" stuff made in China, the Chinese probably are buying it as part of a national "Buy Local" program.

Great OP, btw. Very informative. I'm looking forward to the next one.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Even though you say you enjoy life there..it still sounds like you're very isolated...almost like a very low level security prison camp...
edit on 10-10-2012 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

Yeah, there is something to that prison-campy feeling. Is pretty much true that all the expat activity is strictly monitored, and there really isn't much opportunity to "resist" that. The cops have never messed with anyone I know, however there was one guy who tried to avoid the visa renewal process and as far as I know he was eventually found and spent some time in jail before deportation. If that is true or not, I don't think I'll ever know. It's that very information gap that bothers me and lends to isolation.

Be that as it may, there is considerable solidarity among the expat community. That support is the only way any of us (non-married) expats are able to stay here. It's a quite transparent US and THEM situation, and I think that's due to how relatively new this country is to being open to any outsiders (weiguoren) at all. A little self-segregating racism was always to be expected, and the general feeling is that it is lessening and will continue to do so. Time will tell.

I just want to make it clear that at least the Hangzhouvians harbor no ill-will toward the USA. There is no "threat" from the PRC. War is the last thing we want here, because it's bad for economic reasons. They really are interested in money. Only money and material possessions. Seems sad on the surface but they have a lot of pride in the fact that 60 years ago this was a war-torn new country and having any money at all is a new concept and greatly sought-after and coveted. If I came from a very poor family on a farm, I would think it was pretty cool to have a BMW too!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Alot of American products are dominating the domestic markets here, outselling local brands, so more American companies are coming here to explore the domestic markets, Chinese love American stuff.

When you consider the percentage of "American" stuff made in China, the Chinese probably are buying it as part of a national "Buy Local" program.

Great OP, btw. Very informative. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Thanks.
I'm planning to nut the second part out during this weekend.

Ha, If you put ANY FOREIGN label especially something from america, doesn't matter where it's made or who's controlling to manufacturing they will buy it in droves and not at fine details.
Procter & Gamble are absolutely MASSIVE here, source from cheap little factories and reap the rewards.
Their Colgate brand was found to be cancerous 2 years back and was recalled.
Jonson & Jonson baby wash products also were found HIGHLY cancerous as well.

edit on 12-10-2012 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawada
I lived in Hangzhou twice for a combined year and a half (2005 and then again in 2008). Very beautiful city and spent many a day relaxing by the West Lake.

Ahh Hangzhou.
The city with the most beautiful women in China!
I've been there about 3 times, first time was back in 2006 when I first arrived. You're right about the people there, seemed more open and relaxed to the ME,ME,ME's in Shanghai. Plus they really HATE Shanghai people

I remember watching the fountain display and talking to some guy about it, I mentioned to him I needed to go back to the train station quickly and I was a hopeless cause. He waved a Policeman over and I started to panic a little, he explained to the policeman my train was leaving soon so the policeman gave me a lift there.
So my experiences of Hangzhou are mainly positive, though it's apparently one of the most expensive cities in China for living.
As you said the only real idiots I meet there were other foreigners drunk off their faces.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawada
Ah forgot one thing, what we deemed "the chinese mating call" and probably one of the few things i "hated" about China.

You would constantly hear people hacking up what seemed to be their very soul before spitting. That noise as they brought up all their nastiness was worse than nails on a chalkboard. *shudders thinking about it*

Yup, they're quite vocal about it also the phone conversations seem to be done at the highest decibel levels.
So if you got 5 guys on a bus screaming into their phones for 20 minutes it gets abit annoying.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetooth

i think you will find that the baby milk powder scandal was Nestle in south africa. btw, is it true that all the chinese care about is wether or not they have an Audi?! really? they are prepared to murder on an industrial scale just so they can have an audi?!!!! i would hate to see what they did for a Maserati... my only question is why did they spit on you crackerjack? actually, i have no need of an answer, i think i may already know...

With the milk powder it was Sanlu. They purchase the powder wholesale, pack and distribute. When they did their investigation there was very little testing and ALOT of corruption to avoid the authorities checking.
So they got ordered to destroy (burn) it, but they berried it instead, only to dig it up afew years later to repackage and resell it.
Chinese and Audi's are like a status symbol. Audi even make long wheel based versions just for the Chinese market . So if you're riding an Audi then you're 'FACE' recognition just climbed to "He must have money".
Chinese LOVE spitting, anywhere, anytime on anyone.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Are Chinese women generally attracted to caucasian men? I ask this because I encounter a lot of Chinese students in my job and I will be honest, I want one!

Yes they are, Tall, colored eyes, different toned hair, different thinking attracts many here (what I've been told). Chinese man are a little shy and tend to treat women like princesses maybe they get tired of it.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
An experience today...
My friend is having a second child but has to obtain permission from the government, so he found an agency who deals in fake government documents he said you even have to get a number and wait there were sooo many people there wanting soo many fake documents.
So if you got money, there's no limit.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join