It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Canadian Thanks Giving to all.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Happy thanksgiving to my Canadian brothers, sisters and to all who wish to join in.

While many of you are at work, i am enjoying a hot coffee looking out on this fall day at the changing leaves.

For those around the world here is some info on Canadian Thanksgiving that you may find interesting pulled from Wikipedia:

he origin of the first Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to the explorer Martin Frobisher who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving celebration was not for harvest but was in thanks for surviving the long journey from England through the perils of storms and icebergs. In 1578, on his third and final voyage to these regions, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in Frobisher Bay in Baffin Island (present-day Nunavut) to give thanks to God and in a service ministered by the preacher Robert Wolfall they celebrated Communion — the first-ever service in these regions.[4] Years later, the tradition of a feast would continue as more settlers began to arrive in the Canadian colonies.[5]
Oven roasted turkey

The origins of Canadian Thanksgiving can also be traced to the French settlers who came to New France with explorer Samuel de Champlain in the early 17th century, who also took to celebrating their successful harvests. The French settlers in the area typically had feasts at the end of the harvest season and continued throughout the winter season, even sharing their food with the indigenous peoples of the area.[6] Champlain had also proposed for the creation of the Order of Good Cheer in 1606.[7]

As many more settlers arrived in Canada, more celebrations of good harvest became common. New immigrants into the country, such as the Irish, Scottish and Germans, would also add their own traditions to the harvest celebrations. Most of the U.S. aspects of Thanksgiving (such as the turkey or what were called Guineafowls originating from Madagascar), were incorporated when United Empire Loyalists began to flee from the United States during the American Revolution and settled in Canada.[6]

So happy turkey feasting to all. I also look forward to the American thanks giving as i have recently discovered the delight of deep fried turkey and a football game.

edit on 8-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving Canada!!!!!!!

Thanks OP for the interesting history!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As to you my Canadian brother happy thanks giving to every canuk in here
Sippin my triple espresso it's cold outside at least there isn't any snow yet

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Happy thanksgiving to you too, from Quebec.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Happy Thanks Giving to you and all Canada.

I'm not Canadian but love the Country, especially Banff.

My favourite conspiracy also comes from Canada - Oak Island.

From an English ancestor - RiverRunsFree

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hete is a link to a moose.

www.facebook.com...

link   
Ah yes, my neighbor is originally from Canada and has gone out there to be with family for Canadian Thanksgiving. Or as I assume the Canadians call it....Thanksgiving.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all our friends across the northern border and to my Canadian friends who have migrated elsewhere.

Personally, I am looking forward to my own thanksgiving here in November. Great food.... Great parade..........Great football game and........Family...

edit on 8-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by RiverRunsFree
Happy Thanks Giving to you and all Canada.

I'm not Canadian but love the Country, especially Banff.

My favourite conspiracy also comes from Canada - Oak Island.

From an English ancestor - RiverRunsFree

Very cool, I had temporaily forgot about Oak Island, now i will go refresh my memory. Anyone want to work off the turkey with a treasure hunt

Here is a thread that briefly describes the Oak Island mystery www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
Hete is a link to a moose.

www.facebook.com...

REAL moos are very beautiful.

As a Native Texan, I would love to see a moose someday as we just don't have them here.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

edit on 8-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
And, to you guys. Happy thanksgiving.
On a side note, I looked out the kitchen window, and saw that dreaded form of precipitation. Snow. *gasp* But it was soon over, and thankfully, none of it stuck.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
thanks for that information, too bad they didn't teach us that in school, in Canada.

i too wish to give thanksgiving greetings to everyone back in Canada. feeling a little homesick for the leaves changing on the trees, as well as missing thanksgiving there. so greetings from the Philippines. hope your thanksgiving is happy and truly a thankful time.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating!

I hope you all have a lovely holiday

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving from Saskatchewan eh!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian brothers and sisters.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Timbits and poutine for everyone.
Hey, my Canada includes Quebec.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Thanks .. You to !

Originally posted by intrepid
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Timbits and poutine for everyone.
Hey, my Canada includes Quebec.

Oh your from Quebec intrepid ? Salut mon fwewe !

my vote goes for the Italian Poutine in Valentine (the best one)
then its Timbits time at Tim Horton for desert

have a nice Thanksgiving to you and your familly to !
edit on 10/8/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I ask myself what I'm thankful for and typically pretty much everything. Life's good. One thing not in my control is that the people of Quebec don't support separatism. They voted in Marois because the Liberals were ineffective and corrupt. Not because they will follow her to separation. Canada. Atlantic to Pacific. I've been to them all except Newfoundland. It just happens to be out of the way.
Kinda funny as I'm a Bluenoser.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Ben81

I ask myself what I'm thankful for and typically pretty much everything. Life's good. One thing not in my control is that the people of Quebec don't support separatism. They voted in Marois because the Liberals were ineffective and corrupt. Not because they will follow her to separation. Canada. Atlantic to Pacific. I've been to them all except Newfoundland. It just happens to be out of the way.
Kinda funny as I'm a Bluenoser.

I FIRMLY believe that Marois will do a far better job then Charest (no need to separate for that)
has long we separate from Harper regime ! that doesnt mean we have to divorce from Canada
Quebec is 400 yrs old and is the most oldest Nation in America
when you look at Quebec province map we are making the Head of Canada

Canada is the body .. everybody need a body to live

one thing i dont like is paying 2 damn tax
lets encourage the local store and tax all the greedy cheapo walmarde ..
we dont need those big stores full of crap

yup Life is good when we realise how Life and each seconds are so important not to be wasted

edit on 10/8/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Don't get me going on Harper. 2nd worst PM in my lifetime behind Mulroney. The bunch better beware though. Justin is coming.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Even though i don't celebrate Thanks giving its nice to see my fellow Canadians comming together to wish each other well...

Its just a shame we have to save it for one or two days out of the year

Happy thanks giving all

S&F

edit on 8-10-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join